A Newbie at Marco Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Nov 7, 2007
hi, recently i just chanced upon a very interesting lens with a dedicated 1:1 marco extender... I have never dabbled in Marco photography before, so i am hoping some of the marco 'old birds' can recommend some basic accessories to get? thanks...

why not just get a dedicated macro lens instead
why add extra weight to your setup, think centre of gravity

then a good flash system or better still a dedicated macro flash
sturdy tripod or better still add a macro focusing rail

hi, recently i just chanced upon a very interesting lens with a dedicated 1:1 marco extender... I have never dabbled in Marco photography before, so i am hoping some of the marco 'old birds' can recommend some basic accessories to get? thanks...

I not an "old bird" btw..:bsmilie:

Best to get a dedicated macro lens, followed by : -
External Flash (and way to diffused it such that soft light (close to natural, ambient lignt) is achieved] - Inbuilt flash works too but give u limitations.
Tripod with a gd ball head (minimise any chances of creeping)
Cable release

that will be gd for a start :)

And when you do a search, make sure to spell it right, you'll get more results. We're not the Marco Polo explorer club. :)

ah i see... thanks a lot for the replies... i guess this lens is a old design thats why it was split into 2 pieces... I'm not really sure... maybe vivitar decided it was better... i think the lens goes to 1:2... have to read up the instruction manual for the more technical details... :sweat::sweat::sweat:...
i'm so totally new at this... i tried using the 1:1 extender just now... really something new to what i am used to shooting... need to experiment with it a lot more...

Last edited:
which one is better to use between tripod n monopod..?? i feel that monopod is easier to carry n use...

i only have a tripod... so i support tripods... but i think a monopod is less stable and might not be that useful for marco shooting... i realized that one must really have a very stable base... i do not believe a monopod will be much use in that area...

i only have a tripod... so i support tripods... but i think a monopod is less stable and might not be that useful for marco shooting... i realized that one must really have a very stable base... i do not believe a monopod will be much use in that area...

I mainly use a monopod for my macro purpose. But I do not shoot at full 1:1 magnification. And I use the monopod as an extra form of stabilization for my shooting which also involves AF. :)

i got a question...if a macro lens focal distance is 90mm...and the insect is pretty small...do i need to move up closer to the insect?

Hi im not really in macro, it is challenging but fun. To start with you will need a dedicated macro lens for 1:1. Anything less then 1:_ it is only a close up lens. I saw people using a TC for 2:1 3:1 but for me I only tried 1.4:1.

Next a good tripod, not any tripod is good for macro. Dun get yourself wrong that a CF triod is the best out in the market and you get one to shoot macro. A good macro tripod a allow you to angle the column of your tripod. Research on Man's XPROB models.

Dedicated light, the easy and cheapest way out now is ring flash from third party, pop one and you are done.

Remote, you just need one for moving object. Stationary you can make use of timer.

Hi ya your camera have to move closer. Great that you get a 90mm not a 60 or the recent 85 from nikon =)

i got a question...if a macro lens focal distance is 90mm...and the insect is pretty small...do i need to move up closer to the insect?

Hi im not really in macro, it is challenging but fun. To start with you will need a dedicated macro lens for 1:1. Anything less then 1:_ it is only a close up lens. I saw people using a TC for 2:1 3:1 but for me I only tried 1.4:1.

Next a good tripod, not any tripod is good for macro. Dun get yourself wrong that a CF triod is the best out in the market and you get one to shoot macro. A good macro tripod a allow you to angle the column of your tripod. Research on Man's XPROB models.

Dedicated light, the easy and cheapest way out now is ring flash from third party, pop one and you are done.

Remote, you just need one for moving object. Stationary you can make use of timer.

alright... thanks a lot for you help... :)

btw it is possible to shoot with just the pop up flash and without tripod/monopod

it just takes training

Yes, seen and tried it in one of the night macro gatherings.

The on bourd flash is diffused with a cut plastic from milk bottles. Apparently, that made an external flash feel bulky. Perhaps also due to the fact of the distance, the onboard flash is enough to light up the subject.

Tripod and monopods may also burden macro photography at times.

Perhaps you might want to rent borrow or steal a macro lens and try the onboard flash diffuser method.

Cheers~

Last edited:
ortega, i saw that you are using tamron 90mm to take those shoots...can i know how close are you to those insects??? and if too near wont the insects run away??

actually no i am not using a t90
my lens of choice is still the nikon 105mm micro

but i am now playing with the new nikon 85mm micro DX

i am around minimum focusing distance of the lens that i am using at that time
(different lens have different minimum focusing distance)
you can get close to the insects, it all depends on your approach to them
sometimes the spiders will jump on my lens :)

Last edited:
actually no i am not using a t90
my lens of choice is still the nikon 105mm micro

but i am now playing with the new nikon 85mm micro DX

i am around minimum focusing distance of the lens that i am using at that time
(different lens have different minimum focusing distance)
you can get close to the insects, it all depends on your approach to them
sometimes the spiders will jump on my lens :)

Hi Ortega,
Do you think the VR on nikon 85mm micro is useful for taking macro? I just started macro photography and found it is quite tough to get the sharp photo. I tried using tripod but it was not easy to get closer to the subjects (bugs, etc..).

Hi Ortega,
Do you think the VR on nikon 85mm micro is useful for taking macro? I just started macro photography and found it is quite tough to get the sharp photo. I tried using tripod but it was not easy to get closer to the subjects (bugs, etc..).

i am still testing the VR on macro distances

when shooting really close up any movement (camera/subject) will be magnified as well
normally i will use some form of extra support (pillar, bench, monopod ... ...)
and a faster shutter speed to prevent camera shake and subject movement

Status
Not open for further replies.