A New Virus Via MSN Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgo

Dec 23, 2003
West of Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hi All,

Just like to inform you that for those using MSN Messenger, there's currently an unknown virus propagating within. A window will pop-up from one of your contacts, asking you to either download the file or appears a link for you to click on, something like earthlink blar blar blar...

Do not attempt to download the file or click on the link. Just close the window.

This is definitely fishy, not a hoax of course, and I'm sure something major will happen tonight. My company already got ppl's PC/notebook infected. Exercise caution for this one.

yes, i just received it and find it weird. its a link to a file call "omg.pif". If anyone happens to receive a message that says "lol! see it! u'll like it!", do not click the link. :)

i got it last night, couldn't remember the exact thing but came as a long string of url address (different from Drudkh's !!!), what's worse is the message came from a trusted friend, so i thought what happened and click the link, the file was saved (open option not available) and i saw that it was an MSDOS file, no use so deleted. after a long while then my friend tell me it's a virus, did a full scan, so far nothing happened ... so what's this thing about a major thing happening tonight? this is so irritating ... ;(

in any case i am not using msn messenger till i get more information

This look a bit different. What we've got is a download. It's an MSDOS file all right, but different from what's written on that article at Symantec. It'll create a lot of files in the root folder of your C: drive. If one tries to delete, it'll respawn after deletion.

When scanning for it with the latest virus defs, it'll yield no result. If you try to go regedit or task manager, you simply cannot launch it.

So be careful. I'm sure Symantec or other antivirus companies are working on this. I'm monitoring the situation and will let you all know when there's further news. Meanwhile, just don't accept any files via MSN, even if it's from your friend!

And... as usual....

Mac Users are immune. So there is no cause for worry! ;)

Well, if you see some suspicious file transmitted from a friend, always ask first before accepting the transfer.

And most of the spyware tends to target MSN by spreading around malicious URLs for clicking. :)

yup...got quite a lots of time from friends....like "Hot piC!..then the URL is.../.../parishilton.pif

just becareful when people send you file...ask them before click on it or download...

omg.... I just got it today... kinda fishy cos it's a PIF file... I'd actually copy and pasted the link to firefox and it prompt me if I wanna download the file... then the idea just flash through me... Sh!t~! it's a PIF file, what am i doing?... :bsmilie: close call...

The virus just propogated around my office network .... was using a 3rd party MSN client - GAIM .. so no issues ;)

OK, here are the details of the 2 very new viruses. Symantec just released the details. Unfortunately, one needs to wait a while longer for the latest virus definitions to be release, together with the removal tool (if there's any).

Unknown virus 1

Unknown virus 2

You guys are warned already. So don't be the next victim. :)

Virgo said:
OK, here are the details of the 2 very new viruses. Symantec just released the details. Unfortunately, one needs to wait a while longer for the latest virus definitions to be release, together with the removal tool (if there's any).

Unknown virus 1

Unknown virus 2

You guys are warned already. So don't be the next victim. :)

thanks for the additional links, the ones in circulation are not viruses, they are worms (there's a huge difference) and apparently there're more than one of them circulating within Singapore

Thanx for the correct eikin. Yes, they're worms. We tend to use them interchangeably for layman's terms. If I use worms, the not so technical ppl will start asking. :bsmilie:

new worm spreading around, comes in an internet address with the following inside

'buddies.funbuddyicons...'

i won't include the full url in case someone click it accidentally. be careful! :) msn messenger seems to be a heavy target these days

Status
Not open for further replies.