a new lense or telecope

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you meant the 1.4X teleconverter? Its to be paired with which lens?

nikon lens

I meant which specific lens, cause different lens have different amount of deterioration when paired with a teleconveter. And perhaps you can let the others know what you intend to shoot.

However, I'm not a nikon user, so I can't say much on the performance of the lens of your choice.

Last edited:
and..another thing to add.

Whatever lens you currently have, i bet the 18-200VR'll be more flexible in terms of zoom range :)

Err... if you purchase the 1.4, what are you gonna pair it with?

and..another thing to add.

Whatever lens you currently have, i bet the 18-200VR'll be more flexible in terms of zoom range :)

Maybe TS is more interested in supertelephoto lens like 80-400 or 200-400 ;p
If TS didnt mention he is using a nikon lens, then i bet the 18-270VC'll be more flexible in terms of zoom range :) haha:bsmilie:

On a serious note, TS, please tell us exactly which lens you have. Please also understand that a 1.4x teleconverter, is something you place in between the lens and the camera body.
A 1.4x teleconverter might degrade image quality to some extent, and it make your lens slower by 1 stop.

Get then 1.4X telecope, mount it, and start shooting. It will be a whole new experience. :bsmilie:

I have this feeling TS means a real telescope. But I thought real telescopes start at 40X onwards? I don't understand how they rate it anyway. Anyway there are ways to adapt telescopes and mount to the lens... gives pretty good range. Like a 600 dollars telescope can produce the power of a 400mm lens. IQ wise... not sure. =)

so which lens can a 1.4x TC work on?

mmm...any lens of the same mount? i.e- a Nikon mount TC + a Nikon lens

However, many zoom lenses don't have outstanding IQ. Furthermore, they aren't fast to begin with. So, when you add a TC, be aware of the impending poor IQ and trouble AF-ing :bsmilie:

mmm...any lens of the same mount? i.e- a Nikon mount TC + a Nikon lens

However, many zoom lenses don't have outstanding IQ. Furthermore, they aren't fast to begin with. So, when you add a TC, be aware of the impending poor IQ and trouble AF-ing :bsmilie:

D90 . AF 50mm f/1.8 .Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 . Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 . Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro

Its very curious how you don't own a TC Trent =) All the fast lenses!

D90 . AF 50mm f/1.8 .Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 . Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 . Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro

Its very curious how you don't own a TC Trent =) All the fast lenses!

haha, i know! Been wanting to get one! :bsmilie:

But i can't find a TC that works on Sigma & Nikon lenses :sweat:
(guess i'll just get a Sigma TC :think:)

I have this feeling TS means a real telescope. But I thought real telescopes start at 40X onwards? I don't understand how they rate it anyway. Anyway there are ways to adapt telescopes and mount to the lens... gives pretty good range. Like a 600 dollars telescope can produce the power of a 400mm lens. IQ wise... not sure. =)
Surely there is a way. Or else how NASA takes photos? And usually telescopes have very good IQ. Imagine having sharp pictures of Jupiter.:bigeyes:

haha, i know! Been wanting to get one! :bsmilie:

But i can't find a TC that works on Sigma & Nikon lenses :sweat:
(guess i'll just get a Sigma TC :think:)
Simple, convert your Sigma lenses to Nikkor. Direct conversion will do ;p
E.g. AF-S VR 70-200 f2.8 and AF-S VR 105 f2.8 Micro.
Done!

Depends on what you want to shoot. If you want something flexible and dont want to bring the telescope around with you, PLS go for the 18-200mm VRII.

If you want to take photo of stars and all that, get a proper telescope with a mount for your camera.

IQ of telescopes are good, most have a focal length of around 900mm (+- 200mm). The only problem is the aperture, no way to control.

Simple, convert your Sigma lenses to Nikkor. Direct conversion will do ;p
E.g. AF-S VR 70-200 f2.8 and AF-S VR 105 f2.8 Micro.
Done!

hmm...not to mention a nikkor TC costs a few hundred more than a sigma TC :think:

though, it'll take a few years for me save up that sum, i'll do it! ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.