a new lense or telecope

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm...not to mention a nikkor TC costs a few hundred more than a sigma TC :think:

though, it'll take a few years for me save up that sum, i'll do it! ;p

I see many getting a Kenko TC instead. Should be few hundred less than a nikkor TC. :think:

Haha wow such determination! Nikon can expected rise in sales in a few year's time :bsmilie:

I have seen posting on TC working on all Nikon lens, and I would like to point out that it might not be true.

Observe the image below (courtesy of Ken Rockwell Website)
tc14eii.jpg

The lens component is protuding, so there are alot of Nikon lens not compatible with it. You end up colliding the rear lens with this front lens of the TC.
If it is not compatible, don't attempt it. You end up damaging your lens. Also I assume there are some assumption on the positioning of the lens to the TC itself. 70-200 works fine because if you notice, the lens rear component is all the way inside the lens, even if you focus to the shortest focal length, it is still quite deep inside the lens, so it will not collide at all. Try your 18-200, you will know it doesn't even mount. Even if it does mount, you better try all focal length and make sure it doesn't touch the lens.

I have seen posting on TC working on all Nikon lens, and I would like to point out that it might not be true.

tc14eii.jpg

The lens component is protuding, so there are alot of Nikon lens not compatible with it. You end up colliding the rear lens with this front lens of the TC.
If it is not compatible, don't attempt it. You end up damaging your lens. Also I assume there are some assumption on the positioning of the lens to the TC itself. 70-200 works fine because if you notice, the lens rear component is all the way inside the lens, even if you focus to the shortest focal length, it is still quite deep inside the lens, so it will not collide at all. Try your 18-200, you will know it doesn't even mount. Even if it does mount, you better try all focal length and make sure it doesn't touch the lens.

Wow thanks for informing. Or else I would have gladly thought that an AF-S teleconverter will obviously work for all AF-S lenses.

Hmm, in this case, it seems like Nikon has designed the TC poorly. Not enough thought went into the designing.

Wow thanks for informing. Or else I would have gladly thought that an AF-S teleconverter will obviously work for all AF-S lenses.

Hmm, in this case, it seems like Nikon has designed the TC poorly. Not enough thought went into the designing.

Well, its not Nikon alone, its the same with Canon. Maybe its just meant to be that way? Maybe the IQ is better like that? If they extend the mount is tantamount to putting on an extension tube infront of it... focusing & all may be different, just guessing of course.

I see many getting a Kenko TC instead. Should be few hundred less than a nikkor TC. :think:

Haha wow such determination! Nikon can expected rise in sales in a few year's time :bsmilie:

:sweatsm:

But Kenko's don't work on Sigmas :cry:

tc14eii.jpg

Interesting... I never knew anything about that... Thanks!

Kenko TC not good for sigmas and nikon lens. Very flimsy built and lots of hunting. A no no :nono:

Last edited:
Well, its not Nikon alone, its the same with Canon. Maybe its just meant to be that way? Maybe the IQ is better like that? If they extend the mount is tantamount to putting on an extension tube infront of it... focusing & all may be different, just guessing of course.
I used a canon 2x TC before, for a day. I remember the canon TC was much thicker, as in longer. But I can't recall if the front element of the TC protrudes.

:sweatsm:

But Kenko's don't work on Sigmas :cry:
That is why I said: convert your Sigmas to Nikkors. :bsmilie:

Kenko TC not good for sigmas and nikon lens. Very flimsy built and lots of hunting. A no no :nono:

Thought they were very well reviewed though?! I was going to plan for 1.4 Kenko TC + 135L...

I used a canon 2x TC before, for a day. I remember the canon TC was much thicker, as in longer. But I can't recall if the front element of the TC protrudes.

I've never held one, but from my readings, the Mark 1 protudes out a lot, the new mark 2 has a little more mount tubing, thus less protrusion.

Thought they were very well reviewed though?! I was going to plan for 1.4 Kenko TC + 135L...

Don't know about Canon lenses...but Kenko TCs and Sigma lenses as a no-go :sweat:

The focus'll just oscillate like a pendulum and not lock even in bright light!

Status
Not open for further replies.