A New Forum for paid service and freebies

I agree with surrephoto.

You can't be too worried about new comer, you should be aware of the new and up coming talent, but don't compare your service to them. I made this mistake before and I am sharing with you that this is a downfall that everyone should watch.

In business, you have to always change and improve to get the best of you and hopefully the market would choose your service based on your work and not just the price.

Here is the value and price equation again...

When Value is a lot less than price = no job
When value is less then price = less job
When value is equal with price = enough job
When Value is higher than price = too many jobs

So you can increase your overall value or drop the price to tip the balance on jobs available to you. I always aim for value is slightly less than price so I can catch up with my value to increase my job assignment before I increase my price again. This is the process i go with until I reach a price point that I am comfortable with. But I will continue to increase my value regardless of whether I have hit my target or not... Mainly to ensure I am in front of my competition.

Unfortunately, when one is running their business full time, there are a lot of associated cost involve, more than a freelancer of course. Hence this explain why pro always more expensive then freelancer. Of course, those who charge more without giving value will soon realize they don't have much job.

Client don't care about your cost, they do charge about your price and the value that you are providing.

Another thing in business is, if you are always worried about the new comer, you shouldn't be in business as there is no solution to this unless manufacturer stop selling camera. But the camera price is just going to be cheaper and cheaper so the entry point is getting lower and lower.... So if you are going to worry about this... I think it is time to find yourself a full time job outside photography.

Be realistic about things that you can change and things you can't change... What is within you, you can change and you can't change that is not within you. If you could use what is within you to influence the market hence you are the trend starter, then you are set to change the market to your favor. For example, apple with their iTunes and iTunes store and the rest of what many would describe is expensive but lack of punch in offering... They simply change the value and price equation.

I hope it work out for you.

Regards,

Hart

Last edited:
two short video clips to illustrate some interesting issues in a softer way.. :)

[vid]3IGYtH-l33E[/vid]

[vid]ssCN5EVUhBc[/vid]

Last edited:
No hard rules imho. I only charge $600 for AD because i want jobs and quantity to keep myself on a regular shoot basis. Everyone has their own reason and doesn't mean low = newb.

Remember to factor in that once you get past approx 32, you can only shoot that much. When you are young like 24-28 you can do 100 per year (I got a young VG turboing away this rate). But once you hit 35, anything above 60/year is a big chore already! And nowadays don't know why more people are asking you to come early (that's why early arrival must charge, I start charging for additional time once < 7.30, and there is another earky surcharge on top of that time charge before 6.30). MUA coming early and couples' pang-tangness, kiasuness is not your problem.

I haven't reached 40 year and I have to start taking glucosamine pills. And your hair does drop and hairline receedes. That is what happens when you do volume. 500 weddings, times $600, only 300K....worth it?
I think bare minimum (at least for me) it'd need to be 1k mark nowadays with the current standard of living. (BTW I am not a degree holder). Ultimately, don't short-change yourself.

Last edited:
when you're young you can "cheong". but in the reality you have to think carefully, is it worth it to shoot weddings at the rate you are charging?

anyway, without factor the costs (yourtimecameralensesbatterycfcardscomputerphotoshoplightroomprintingalbumcddvdfooddrinktransportofficeexpensesmedicalcpfincometexeverytingneedmony), you are a winner, earning 100% pure profit.

The so-called 100% profit and relatively low risk is nice, but as mentioned need to be aware of the pitfalls which are not always so visible. (a) weekend hrs (b) early+late hrs (c) meals at funny times/stress, ie not for those with gastro-esophagus medical cases like GERD/gastritis (d) wear out joints - problem surfaces only later past 35-40 years old and lastly which I can think of (e) if you happen to have a demanding spouse - may affect the family, she will secretly eat out.

(e) - got 1 true case, no joke.

A normal job also like near 100% and relatively low risk mah. I don't see even diploma holders below 30 yrs of age gunning for long 2.5k/mth jobs, ala 4 shoots per mth @ $600. Not counting AWS 1mth and VWS 1-2mths and CPF bro... (actually there are some with 3-4mths).