a MUST to use flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooQy

Feb 12, 2009
SG
I've observed quite a few shopping mall fashion shoots and private indoor events....

Is it a must to use flash + diffuser when shooting?

For myself, I've been shooting w/o the aid of flash even in low light conditions. (Not even the built-in flash, which is think is quite limited) I simply adjust the aperture and shutter speed to compensate.

I intend to try out shooting @ Fashion events. Any tips? :angel:

not necessary but best to have :)

not necessary but best to have :)

if it's in a brightly lit mall, w/o flash should be ok right?

My understanding is that, flash with diffuser in this case fills in the shadow parts of the subject.

It's subjective. If you are able to get the shot you want and happy with the result, then you may not need a flash.

For me... Indoor event shoot, unless you really have a very fast lens or want to have alot of shadows.... it is NFNT.... :bsmilie:

Yes, to fill in the shadows....

If you're just looking for snaps, then up to you....

I've observed quite a few shopping mall fashion shoots and private indoor events....
Is it a must to use flash + diffuser when shooting?

Put on your flash, take pictures of the same object with flash and without. Compare. Decide for yourself.
Flash is additional light from a defined source. It's up to you and your concept / idea whether flash is helpful or not. Keep in mind: flash can be adjusted in its output to be balanced with existing light (see "fill flash").

if you learn to control the flash

you will be able to fill in the shadows or create shadows if you want
the colours will also be more vibrant

give it a try

Thanks all for your comments/input.

As advised, i will probably look around to borrow a flash to try out the effects. Hands-on speaks for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.