A more affordable alternative to F2.8L 70-200 IS USM MkII?

akari

Jan 10, 2014
Singapore
I have used the Canon F2.8L 70-200 IS USM MkII lenses a couple of times and I simply love it. It would be nice owning one, but the price is so steep.

What other lenses would you guys suggest (Canon or non-Canon lens that would fit on a Canon body)?

Is the MkI version recommended? I read about it and it seems quite okay, plus there is the F2.8...

Or would I be better off getting the 70-300 F4.0-5.6L IS USM or 70-200mm F4L USM with/without the IS?

I mainly will be using it for indoor+outdoor concerts, so yeah, moving figures, possible chaos and no luxury of a tripod.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS HSM.

There the newer Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC USD. Review quite good.
Or the smaller & cheaper canon 70-200 f/4L IS.

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS HSM.

Thank you for the reply! This seems pretty good, I would go compare it around. A pity that the rental shop that I usually visit doesn't carry this model to try...

There the newer Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC USD. Review quite good.
Or the smaller & cheaper canon 70-200 f/4L IS.

Thanks! The Sigma seems to be better than the Tamron? Just googling for reviews.

What I am afraid about the F4 is it isn't fast enough... The 2.8 is just amazing.

This question should be posted in the canon section :)

Anyway, if you have budget, always go for the third party alternatives. Worth in terms of value although you may miss out some features.

akari said:
Thanks! The Sigma seems to be better than the Tamron? Just googling for reviews.

What I am afraid about the F4 is it isn't fast enough... The 2.8 is just amazing.

Some review seem favour the new tamron with VC. The older without VC the review so so. But it all depend on ur choice.

I have the Sigma 70-200 and it's really quite a sharp lens with good built. Colors are also not too bad when put in comparison with the Canon lens equivalent. Of course, you pay for what you get for. Btw, I'm selling this lens xD

You may want to try the EF70-200L f2.8 IS Mark 1. I am still using the lens and based on my standards, it is still very good in every aspects. Hence, I find that there is not a need to upgrade to the superior Mark 2. Currently the price of a used copy in B&S has dropped to $1.5k to $1.6k.

This question should be posted in the canon section :)

Anyway, if you have budget, always go for the third party alternatives. Worth in terms of value although you may miss out some features.

Oops, I thought this seems like a "newbie" question, so posted it here. Thanks for the note, perhaps I shall post it over there too. :)

Some review seem favour the new tamron with VC. The older without VC the review so so. But it all depend on ur choice.

I guess I would have to try renting the lenses to test to find out which is better...

You may want to try the EF70-200L f2.8 IS Mark 1. I am still using the lens and based on my standards, it is still very good in every aspects. Hence, I find that there is not a need to upgrade to the superior Mark 2. Currently the price of a used copy in B&S has dropped to $1.5k to $1.6k.

Yep, I was researching and many old users of this model seem to really pimp it, but then everyone is in awe of the MkII too. I just am unsure how does the Mk1 compare to the Sigma or the Tamron...

I have the Sigma 70-200 and it's really quite a sharp lens with good built. Colors are also not too bad when put in comparison with the Canon lens equivalent. Of course, you pay for what you get for. Btw, I'm selling this lens xD

LOL. And why are you selling it then?

Yes, I understand that it's not gonna be as good as the MKII...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1319945 sigma vs tamron

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1334130 tamron vs canon

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1326482 tamron vs sigma

While it is not advisable to trust just one source, it seems to agree with reviews throughout the net that the tamron is sharper at 200mm 2.8...i didn't see any reviews saying the sigma was better. Youtube reviews also seem to lean towards the tamron.

To confirm this yourself, check out the flickr groups for each lens and view the photos taken at f2.8, in full resolution.

While it is not advisable to trust just one source, it seems to agree with reviews throughout the net that the tamron is sharper at 200mm 2.8...i didn't see any reviews saying the sigma was better. Youtube reviews also seem to lean towards the tamron.

To confirm this yourself, check out the flickr groups for each lens and view the photos taken at f2.8, in full resolution.

Wow, this is indeed very helpful! I guess the new tamron with the VC is indeed quite impressive. I will take a close look at the reviews + flickr groups, and also drop by a camera store to test out the lenses. Thank you for these! :)

Wow, this is indeed very helpful! I guess the new tamron with the VC is indeed quite impressive. I will take a close look at the reviews + flickr groups, and also drop by a camera store to test out the lenses. Thank you for these! :)

no prob. have fun :bsmilie:

buy the best, forget the rest... just save up and get the Canon 70-200 f2.8 Mk II (very unlikely you need to 'upgrade' in years to come) ;)

However the Tamron 70-200 VC is getting good reviews, if you can live with it not as compatible with teleconverters (I read only compatible with Tamron TCs but I can't find them in S'pore), and AF may not be as accurate in low light (indoor concert lightings are usually painfully low)

Have fun shopping :)

buy the best, forget the rest... just save up and get the Canon 70-200 f2.8 Mk II (very unlikely you need to 'upgrade' in years to come) ;)

However the Tamron 70-200 VC is getting good reviews, if you can live with it not as compatible with teleconverters (I read only compatible with Tamron TCs but I can't find them in S'pore), and AF may not be as accurate in low light (indoor concert lightings are usually painfully low)

Have fun shopping :)

I would love to invest in the canon vers but nobody is selling theirs. And first hand is so expensive. Even the price of a first hand Tamron is making me want to get a grey set or opt for the cheapest alt - the Sigma. Yeah... Still thinking...

akari said:
I would love to invest in the canon vers but nobody is selling theirs. And first hand is so expensive. Even the price of a first hand Tamron is making me want to get a grey set or opt for the cheapest alt - the Sigma. Yeah... Still thinking...

Maybe it too gd that those own it can't bear to sell it away?
I own only the canon 70-200 f/4 IS, had previously wanted to sell it away as didn't get use it often. In end can't really bear to let it go, so withdraw and decide keep it till now.

Maybe it too gd that those own it can't bear to sell it away?
I own only the canon 70-200 f/4 IS, had previously wanted to sell it away as didn't get use it often. In end can't really bear to let it go, so withdraw and decide keep it till now.

Highly likely. And I know the canon vers is heavenly, I've been using it, just that I don't own it sadly. :( I heard the f4 vers is good also but yah I need the 2.8...