A model posed nicely for me to shoot

Learnphotography

Apr 18, 2009
Singapore
4737742136_468b76dd20.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Exposure, Composition and Colour

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To show the beautiful details and colours of the bird

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
afternoon and cloudy

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
a bit too saturated?

Thanks

Exposure has cloudy feel, can tweak brighter a bit.
Composition wise, maybe can crop less and try, because bird is complete red, seems to come on a little too strong. Use bg as contrast, give an even border.
Colours are not over saturated, brighter/contrast increase in fact should improve the beauty.

this picture will appear in a book documenting birds perhaps.

this picture will not appear as an award winning one though...

great as a documentary style shot, not so great as a artsy fartsy one cause subject simply looks to dead. show more branches, use the rules of thirds, slap bang center is boring composition

Is it just me or do I see pure red without gradients above the eyes?

catchy title. :thumbsup:

seems to have lost some details on the bird though.

you know all your comments are very valueable and helped me to know the flaws in the photo so that im aware of them and take better pics next time.

I actually position the bird a bit to the right using its eye as the center.

Is it just me or do I see pure red without gradients above the eyes?
Yes somewhat.

I think the reds are just slightly over-saturated. Most importantly, bring up the exposure. Give more of background. Focus is good.

Hey there,

I'm quiet amateur at photography still learning but i though I'd give my opinion on the picture :D

Overall like your tittle says, its a nice pose and i love the background. However, i think it would be nicer if there was more details of like the feathers and other detailed features, the layering of the feathers is what give birds that awesome look, no one can really see the skin. your picture seem a bit too saturated till the point where the red feathers seem like its skin instead of its coating. Mmm from the picture I can tell you are much more experience than me so if I'm wrong please do correct me.

In all, nice shot, may I ask what lens you used for these kinda shots and how far away you were? :D
thanks
all the best

Hi, I thought perhaps you may want to include a bit more of the background, the focus on the bird is good, so if more of the back ground is included and blurred I guess it may add a bit more value to your photo, because what can see is only bird and other than that a red bird bird. :D