A million dollar question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MashiMaro

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
You strike TOTO or you found a bag full of money in the park – whatever – Let’s just say that you have a million dollar in hard cash under your bed right now, what are you going to do with it?

Think wisely before you post, you may be jobless or you may be working - good money but very demanding – but you hate it so much you want to quit. Or perhaps you’re your own boss currently. You may be, not having any house of your own, no car, no savings, no insurance, no husband/wife nor children (and no DSLR :D). The point is how you are going to enjoy your life (hopefully) for the rest of your life with the money.

Oh, no one night cruise, no Macau, no Genting – no gambling, please.

I presume you're the lucky 1 of the 11 winners of toto?

Anyway, I would just split the $ to my family members, guess it's just as repayment for their upbringing and taking care of me.

Buy a 70-200VR lens for myself and save the rest for my coffin ;)

I would still continue working I guess, else my brain would go dead in no time.

have came across thoughts like yours before....

go into retirement immediately...do some travelling, keep on with my hobby (currently shooting pictures)...go MacDonalds work part time :bsmilie:

find something of interest to do...even doing tai-chi with those old hag in the garden every morning is ok...take up line dancing...cooking class...etc

but i have an apartment (HDB), wife, savings and what not...no car :D

invest in a new biz.
maybe retire... and do some part time teaching job

espn said:
I would still continue working I guess, else my brain would go dead in no time.

The act of working is no guarantee that your brain does not go dead... :D

tert said:
The act of working is no guarantee that your brain does not go dead... :D
AGREE!

do what the couple did lor, buy two condo rent out, and spend the rest.

espn said:
I presume you're the lucky 1 of the 11 winners of toto?

thanks for your post. no, i'm not the lucky one. i don't even buy the coupon.

Give the money away to charity, carry on life without missing a beat.

(Yeah, right. :D)

standard: spend 1/3, save 1/3, invest 1/3.

If you are interesting in this type of story, you might want to read this book:
Finders Keepers written by Mark Bowden

One million in cash, and not in the bank/assets/whatever. This really tempts the person to spend and spend. Just think of the many restrictions in life that were caused by a lack of funding/backup. wow. For me, a million may not be enough, so after some (relatively) small spending, I'll think of ways to "grow" more and more money :bsmilie: for an even better future.

With a cool million?

- I'll buy everyone here a beer.
- Buy that freehold property that I have my eye on.
- Pay in full for my degree course.

I guess not much left after that.

1 million dollars doesn't go very far these days! But if I had it... first thing would be to pay off the mortgage. After that, donno! :dunno:

pay off mortgage & car loan, save half the remaining, spend the other half travelling (and shooting lotsa pics). :bsmilie:

I'll donate $50,000 to charity, give my immediate family $200,000.

Put $250,000 in low risk fund with at least 4% annual returns for long term, 4% is to hedge against inflation. $100,000 in mid-high risk regular investment over 10 years to average out the risk.

Put $150,000 in bank for liquidity.

$200,000 to invest in business.

$50,000 to travel around.

Then live and work as per normal, becos $1mil certainly will not last a lifetime due to inflation and expenditure pattern in future.

I won't buy property or car, yield of property is too low and period is too long, unless the property price is really low.

Car value only depreciate. unless its a necessity for business purpose, use business to purchase vehicle will be better.

Change 100k into 20cents coin. Then use it to throw at people who said I couldn't make it. If got extra, hire the Starhub airship and go up in the air and throw the coins down on the streets of Singapore. :devil:

Change 300k into 2dollar notes. Fill a room with the notes and then dive into it. Just for fun. :devil:

The rest of the money will be spend more on travelling, family and photography. :D

when i was young, I used to think of how I would spend $10k if I could win this amount of money - renovate, treat buffet, etc.. Then When i grew up, I realised that 10k is not even sufficient to renovate a flat..

If i won, then i would have given part of it to my parents and siblings, treat my frens, donate some to charity, buy and renovate a flat, spilt the money with my bf,get married, go on honeymoon, buy insurance and other financial plans and save watever i have left in the bank.

U know, my sister's colleague's friend, A was the person who won toto using the system 12 combi.. It seems that the money was shared among 10 colleagues as they pooled together to buy that ticket. One person gets around 100k. Too bad my sister didn't know these people. Her direct colleagues of 15 people bought toto but didnt win a single cent. It seems that u must have the luck to win it first before u can even think of how to spend it. Else everything is just a dream.. :(

now, we can only wait for the next hongbao draw.. :sweatsm:

I would pay off all my debts, get a couple of new trucks, a house, and lots of photo equipment, buy A G5 and quit my main job, and work my part time job.
The rest of the time I would fish and spend with my children, who would probably outfish me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.