A Masters' Degree from a poly Diploma plus 4yrs of working experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there such a thing? is the master's recognised?

a straight jump from a poly diploma into a Masters' Degree, bypassing the Bachelor's(honors).

:think: sounds like too good to be true?

who offer u?

u can take direct masters (mean u skip taking your degree) and if u 1/2 way drop out, u got nothing to fall back on... its just u also take degree courses and such but u only get 1 cert.

be like me lah, jack of (most) trades master of none... :devil:

who offer u?

u can take direct masters (mean u skip taking your degree) and if u 1/2 way drop out, u got nothing to fall back on... its just u also take degree courses and such but u only get 1 cert.

be like me lah, jack of (most) trades master of none... :devil:

no la not me. my fren. i no $$ to further studies. all $$ spent on camera n food. :bsmilie:

some uni from australia. but the first time i heard of such an offer, a direct jump from poly dip to a masters'.

sounds too good to be true!

Not impossible.... many places offer something like that... But what is important is who offers it and if these institutions are recognized?

Not impossible.... many places offer something like that... But what is important is who offers it and if these institutions are recognized?

oic... not sure if the organisations or company that is hiring, will they be able to accept n recognise such a degree?

the normal route is...

bachelor's(honors) then get to further to do masters' -- > to my understanding la.

oic... not sure if the organisations or company that is hiring, will they be able to accept n recognise such a degree?

the normal route is...

bachelor's(honors) then get to further to do masters' -- > to my understanding la.

no need honors lah... a degree can liao...

Mmmm it depends on what kind of companies.. if straight lace go by the book type... well they will most likely choose someone from a recognized uni who went the proper path of honors then masters.

But then again depends on what uni is offering you this and what job are you looking at.

I mean for creative fields... its more your portfolio.... while for academic fields.... of course your results. For business fields, your resume and what you have done...

Mmmm it depends on what kind of companies.. if straight lace go by the book type... well they will most likely choose someone from a recognized uni who went the proper path of honors then masters.

But then again depends on what uni is offering you this and what job are you looking at.

I mean for creative fields... its more your portfolio.... while for academic fields.... of course your results. For business fields, your resume and what you have done...

alrite! so the basic is still the same. dependent on the field n company.

:thumbsup:

Some companies follow the civil service practice of recognising the Master degree as the first degree if you do not have the Bachelor degree.
Clarify with the HR departments before you take up any job offers.

TO TS,

I mean it is really dependent on circumstances...

Just an example... and May I say first, it might not be possible to have someone with this kind of a career path... just an example for illustration purposes.

Example 1
An office boy in Apple. Works really hard, gets the notice of Steve Jobs who notices that he has biz acumen and promotes him to supervisor. In 4 years, he rises up the ranks and becomes director of marketing. However he decides to go back to school and because of his work experience in Apple, he gets a offer by Harvard to do a masters.

Example 2
An diploma holder works in a normal company for 4 years.. rises to manager. Decides to take up the offer of one of those institutions at Parklane or Peninsula Plaza for a masters course.

End of the day both have a masters.... who will get employed?

wa... i grad some yrs back... now all change... :bsmilie:

u masters of the universe ar? (He-Man)

index-cmotu.jpg

TO TS,

I mean it is really dependent on circumstances...

Just an example... and May I say first, it might not be possible to have someone with this kind of a career path... just an example for illustration purposes.

Example 1
An office boy in Apple. Works really hard, gets the notice of Steve Jobs who notices that he has biz acumen and promotes him to supervisor. In 4 years, he rises up the ranks and becomes director of marketing. However he decides to go back to school and because of his work experience in Apple, he gets a offer by Harvard to do a masters.

Example 2
An diploma holder works in a normal company for 4 years.. rises to manager. Decides to take up the offer of one of those institutions at Parklane or Peninsula Plaza for a masters course.

End of the day both have a masters.... who will get employed?

ok i understand ur analogy.

but my fren is not offered a scholarship or anything and the uni is hardly prestigious... if so, i would've remembered the name. hehehe

i guess it is paying to get a paper only.

:)

there are a few unis who do this now adays but for a local poly diploma, i havent heard.
plus the modules and content for a masters course is so much different from a local poly's diploma, will the taker be able to cope in the first place is a better question to ask.
however the working experience might help out a little. . .
check out the uni which is providing this course, and read up abt that faculty(school) in its respective field.
the Uni on the whole might be not heard of often, but a faculty within it might be top grade in a certain field/industry.

my 2cents;)

a straight jump from a poly diploma into a Masters' Degree, bypassing the Bachelor's(honors).

You can get Phd direct from primary education bypassing everything too.

I can print you one Phd cert from my Epson printer. :bsmilie:

no such thing la. diploma doesn't give you anywhere near enuff foundation to skip towards a terminal degree like masters. Though it is possible to skip the masters from degree and go into phd. just the phd for such candidates is extended by a year.

Has been available for a long time but many still look at Bachelor's degree. Master is just a bonus. The class of Bachelor honours is a greater factor than the Master's degree.

Wondering if your friend is someone i know too.

I know of this similar incident as I was there when he wanted to sign up for a Bachelor course in engineering but got rejected and hence offered for the master course instead.
One of the reason given was that the bachelor course is a recognized degree in australia under PE board and the school cannot take in those without relevant diploma. Then for master they have no problem as not so strict.

Status
Not open for further replies.