A Look at Lexar : How Memory Cards are Made

biskandar

May 11, 2010
Singapore
www.about.me
[youtube]kvf29R7nXlM[/youtube]

Awesome details how to make it perfect ! no wonder their price always highest among all .

There sure are a lot of Asian workers in Utah...

There sure are a lot of Asian workers in Utah...

They mentioned liao... you weren't following isit??

the assembly is in Asia :)

They mentioned liao... you weren't following isit??

the assembly is in Asia :)
ha ha, thanks for pointing that out, was eating my dinner when I watch that video. My bad...

Replace "Lexar" with any other big brand .. and you'll get similar videos. As they mentioned, there is only one company there producing these wafers and chips used by Lexar. Rest is cutting and assembly by Lexar.
Just watch carefully when there are mass recalls for certain problems with the chip technology. Usually more than one brand is affected which shows that the electronics companies around the globle rely (or rather depend) on a very few companies producing the wafers.
Gold for bonding is used since many years and in most chips. Simply because of it's electrical and chemical characteristics.
Nice video, though.

Hmm, that's new coz I thot IMFS would start production in 1Q2011 *shrugs*

Replace "Lexar" with any other big brand .. and you'll get similar videos. As they mentioned, there is only one company there producing these wafers and chips used by Lexar. Rest is cutting and assembly by Lexar.
Just watch carefully when there are mass recalls for certain problems with the chip technology. Usually more than one brand is affected which shows that the electronics companies around the globle rely (or rather depend) on a very few companies producing the wafers.
Gold for bonding is used since many years and in most chips. Simply because of it's electrical and chemical characteristics.
Nice video, though.

Other than the fab (conveyor in 200mm fab?), the rest is pretty standard/old technology.
Wire-bonding is only used for simple products and memory.

Nice video. But some 5-6 years ago I also had file corruption with Lexar, think that time CF card still high prices, nearly 300 bucks. 1-1 exchange with new one, sold the Lexar off.

Actually any card, CF, MS, SD....micro..... if you put all your eggs into 1 basket and your body does not have dual slots, you still run the risk. You'll get this whenever your cam body gets old, don't know why.....

Nothing special for those who have or currently working in semiconductor industry.

wow...the amount of photolitography equipment in the fab is brutal....i think i saw a scrubber too.

Strange ... from 3.44 to 4.30 thereabouts, some workers use bare fingers, and later, finger-gloves or gloves are used. :think:

But I'm not in the manufacturing sector, so I don;t know about these things. :)

from what i know back-end process there might not be a need to use gloves..most of the time when use gloves it would be in a place where particle is concern or in the fab. correct me if i am wrong as i only work in the fab and the back end process is what my engineers told me.

Last edited:
Strange ... from 3.44 to 4.30 thereabouts, some workers use bare fingers, and later, finger-gloves or gloves are used. :think:

But I'm not in the manufacturing sector, so I don;t know about these things. :)
I think I saw the workers that use bare hands were wearing anti-static waist band...

Just curious that's all. :)

But even with the anti-stat bands, wouldn't there be finger oils and 'gunk'?