A little debate thread: Should you use harsh punishment on the students?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthEagle

Jan 18, 2004
Singapore
Hi to all... I'm thinking of starting this thread so that we can share views about todays current affairs. You can say anything you want about the topic, but try not to go off the track.

Today we will touch on todays education, if you were the teacher/principal, would you appove to have harsh punishments such as caning on girls etc. ? Most ppl think kids nowdays are out of control, they are so daring that they can scold vuglar words in front of their teacher and even think of quitting school! ;(

Do you agree that MOE is too strict on teachers/principals? What do you want to do if you change the law? Share Ya views! :p

StealthEagle said:
Hi to all... I'm thinking of starting this thread so that we can share views about todays current affairs. You can say anything you want about the topic, but try not to go off the track.

Today we will touch on todays education, if you were the teacher/principal, would you appove to have harsh punishments such as caning on girls etc. ? Most ppl think kids nowdays are out of control, they are so daring that they can scold vuglar words in front of their teacher and even think of quitting school! ;(

Do you agree that MOE is too strict on teachers/principals? What do you want to do if you change the law? Share Ya views! :p
Most of the kids nowadays are too pampered. The wayward ones do need to be spanked as appropriate. Their parents need to stop overprotecting them.

I still think the Nan Chiau case is ridiculous. Not to say it's right to whack the student but to have a principal tender his resignation for this is ridiculous. The older among us will remember being whacked by teachers by meter rules and other tools and no such thing happened. And that godsister who reported to the police is even more ridiculous.

Which brings to us the following:- Does it then mean that if any student(s) want to "get rid" of their teacher/principal, they can just misbehave to the point that the teacher/principal lose his temper and whack them, call the police and have their wish granted? Are the educators now at the mercy of the students? What is the world coming to now?

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
Most of the kids nowadays are too pampered. The wayward ones do need to be spanked as appropriate. Their parents need to stop overprotecting them.

I still think the Nan Chiau case is ridiculous. Not to say it's right to whack the student but to have a principal tender his resignation for this is ridiculous. The older among us will remember being whacked by teachers by meter rules and other tools and no such thing happened. And that godsister who reported to the police is even more ridiculous.

Which brings to us the following:- Does it then mean that if any student(s) want to "get rid" of their teacher/principal, they can just misbehave to the point that the teacher/principal lose his temper and whack them, call the police and have their wish granted? Are the educators now at the mercy of the students? What is the world coming to now?

Regards
CK

good say :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

students nowadays very happenning one. need a brandnew set of discipline methods to make sure happenning dont happen too much

Well, i can say that the parents want the best for them so they can be prepared for the future? Now parents have $ and they can buy things that their kids want, talk about handphones.....

I think if the parents hit them, their kids will grow up to be rebellious and dump their parents in old folks home. But er.... maybe they don't have time to teach what is wrong and right, due to overload of work. :think:

Spare the rod and spoil the child.
Unfortunately, creativity and discipline usually conflict with each other, in very a broad sense. i.e. if you are creative, you aren't disciplined (because you don't stick to the usual rules).

Punishment is only a short term solution... No one here thinks about the psychological impact then they grow up?

I have a friend, this is what she told me:
She was those who were punished when she did something wrong. And her mum will scold her useless/good for nothing. Rite now, she finally felt the full impact of the abuse. She will feel depressed, timid. And she admitted that is was because of her childhood, that she's now afraid of people.

It'll be real sad if your child grows up to be afraid of the world. Sad, sad.

So now, will u still beat your child?
Will you still tell him/her that 98% is not good, he/she needs 100% for maths?

well, personally i think that if the pupils have the guts to do sth wrong, they should face the music... :nono:

maybe you all never heard this...
It was discussed in 1 of the shows on channel 8.

An elderly voiced his dissatisfaction : "The teens nowdays, they are not civic minded. Someone needs help, but no one lent a hand."
Well, what's the reply?
"I thought the older generations always preached : 'Mind your own business.(bu4 yao4 duo1 guan3 xian2 shi4)' "

This is so sad...
The older generations did this to us, & now they're blaming us... :(

but your friend is just those a bit more towards the extreme case examples. most people will out grow it.

AReality said:
maybe you all never heard this...
It was discussed in 1 of the shows on channel 8.

An elderly voiced his dissatisfaction : "The teens nowdays, they are not civic minded. Someone needs help, but no one lent a hand."
Well, what's the reply?
"I thought the older generations always preached : 'Mind your own business.(bu4 yao4 duo1 guan3 xian2 shi4)' "

This is so sad...
The older generations did this to us, & now they're blaming us... :(

Ah yes, this reminds me of the movie "I Not Stupid", where this fat mother always tell her son to mind his own business or else he will get into trouble.

What we learnt in the past, we use them in the future cos we think it is right.

kids are too protected in these cases, which i see as (one of many) a sign of a progressive society.

Of course, u should be lenient for first time offenders, but must know when to draw line and say to take the next step forward. If the adult keeps giving way to the child, naturally the child will take advantage. It is plain common sense and human nature, even a fellow adult would take advantage of your inaction.

As for the Nan Chiau principal resigning, I put 100% blame on MOE for approving his resignation. As higher management, they should have made the tougher decision to refuse and instead say, "It is good enough that you feel remorse, however your resignation cannot be accepted at this moment. We need you at Nan Chiau, the students and teachers need you especially. If you still feel this strongly after 3 months, then let's have this conversation again."

That is excatly what I would have chosen to do, if I were MOE. Unfortunately I'm not and neither are the people who feel the same way. :(

The kids should be punished. But appropriately as well. I believe there are guidelines on what kind of punishment should be administered to the students.

What i'd like to see is that after punishment, counsel them. Let them know what/why they are being punished for..

Guess nowadays, you'll have to use both the hard and soft tactics.. =x

On the nan chiau incident, if i could, i'd give that godsister a dressing down. All the principle did was to hit the boy with a book, and for goodness sake, it's not even a hardcover -.- And she reported that to the police.. Was the victim and his/her group of friends ah bengs/lians?

no nid worry abt pushiment la, teens are always teens. back in my sec sch days i always go to principal office for all the kind of stupid things, eg cheating, rude to teacher, skipping lesson, etc etc. but look at me now, an upright and law abiding citizen.

teens will learn and be mature one day, just that when that day will come. i don't think there's a need to use violence.

someone did raise up this point

"Which brings to us the following:- Does it then mean that if any student(s) want to "get rid" of their teacher/principal, they can just misbehave to the point that the teacher/principal lose his temper and whack them, call the police and have their wish granted? Are the educators now at the mercy of the students? What is the world coming to now?"

not that the principal can do nothing, he could always expel that guy if he wanted. there are alot more legal ways to settle such problem, he can always issue a green form(beta form) and give him 2 stroke of the cane infront of the sch.

but the problem would be, whether the boy would actually learn and repent for his mistake. back in my sec sch days, i did receive public caning, but that did not wake me up.

i think a better way would be to isolate the teen from his bad company, or find some really professional consuller, not just some pathetic teacher like my sec sch.

but then, the problem will just go away after they grow up, so y bother. they will have to go out to the real world one day. no more messing ard, nobody will tolerate u, not like ur teachers and principal. either u do ur work right or get fired.

one thing that i always like to do back in sec sch, rules are meant to be broken, so break as many of them when u can =X u see all the funny hair colours, long hair, hp in bag, cigarettes, etc. but once u get to poly, all these things arn't fun anymore.

~MooEy~

during my sec sch days.. often see our teachers used those thick ruler on the blackboard to wack on students hand... whats new?

all these pampered kids canx take it now...

those were e days

StealthEagle said:
if you were the teacher/principal, would you appove to have harsh punishments such as caning on girls etc. ? Most ppl think kids nowdays are out of control, they are so daring that they can scold vuglar words in front of their teacher and even think of quitting school! ;(

Do you agree that MOE is too strict on teachers/principals? What do you want to do if you change the law? :p

my opinion on this matter...

yes, i totally agree with punishments... like making them stand outside the class if no hw was done or making them run if they forgot to bring their PE attire... but not TOO harsh, like slapping or hitting them... at most, suspend or expel them...

i've overheard kids talking about the possiblities of suing the teacher for ASSAULT if the teachers hit them... SHEESH... everything also "i get my mother to do it"..

kids today ARE out of control... they're spoilt brats! but that's not the teachers fault... it's the PARENTS! they leave all the educating to the teachers.. but when punishments are given out, they say "eh, i'm the parent.. what gives you the right to scold my child?" BAH! HYPOCRITES!

i was considered a trouble maker in school.. been to principal's office COUNTLESS of times.. the worst punishment i got was to stand outside the principal's office during peak periods (my principal understood the words "teenage rebellion") though i didn't learn much from the punishments, it just taught me how to fear the teachers and how to escape punishment..

BUT when i went out to tertiary education/ work, i learnt it the hard way! the society don't take well to people who are ill-disciplined.. from there, i went on an up-hill task to "reform".. it was not easy.. most of the time, i wondered why i didn't learn the word "discipline" back in school...

in fact, on the recent principal case.. i feel he shouldn't quit.. he must have tolerated the students enough to do something like that.. c'mon, give teachers a break! your kids are out of control and you expect the teachers to tolerate their nonsense when you can't?

kids are their parents and the society's reponsibility... in the end, we've got to blame ourselves for the next generations upbringing...

Status
Not open for further replies.