A l'imparfait de l'objectif

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongjone

Jan 6, 2006
Singapore
The Month of Photography (MOP) 2006 presents retrospective exhibitions of the French Masters – Robert Doisneau and Henri Cartier- Bresson, at the SG Private Banking Gallery at the Alliance Française de Singapour.

June 7 -29
Gallery hours: Mon - Fri 11am to 7pm, Sat 11am to 5pm, & closed on Suns & P.H.

About the Photographer
Born in Gentilly in the Val-de-Marne, France, in 1912, Robert Doisneau is one of France's most popular and prolific reportage photographers. He sold his first photo-story to the Excelsior newspaper in 1932. He was a camera assistant to sculptor Andrei Vigneaux and did military service prior to taking a job as an industrial and advertising photographer for the Renault auto factory at Billancourt in 1934. In 1939, he took up freelance advertising and postcard photography to earn his living.

Doisneau worked for the Rapho Photo Agency for several months until he was drafted in 1939. He was a member of the Resistance both as a soldier and as a photographer, using his engraving skills to forge passports and identification papers. He photographed the Occupation and Liberation of Paris.

After the war he joined the Alliance photo agency for a short time and has worked for Rapho since 1946, after which, Doisneau did high-society and fashion photography for Paris Vogue from 1948 to 1951. In addition to his reportage, he has photographed many French artists.

Doisneau won the Prix Kodak in 1947. He was awarded the Prix Niepce in 1956 and acted as a consultant to Expo '67, Canada. A short film, Le Paris de Robert Doisneau, was made in 1973.

:bsmilie: Thanks for the clarification

Went there last week. Very inspiring photos in B&W. Mostly street photography. :thumbsup:

Maybe, I should try some street photography this weekend. I am not trying to enter the Kiss photo competition la..:)

Yup, got 3 famous kissing photo. ;)

Le Baiser, Les amoureux aux oranges, et Photographie aérienne.

Cartier Bresson has also a huge B&W work on China, quite interesting.

Doisneau was once criticised because he claimed his famous shots were snaps while he was actually using posing models... I nevertheless love his work.

So sad nothing on my favourite Photographer : Jean-Loup Sieff...

A must not miss anyway !!! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.