A Lens For All Occasions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazamc

Dec 27, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Hello, i currnetly own a Nikon F55 with a Nikkor 28-100mm 'G' Kit lens, and a 50mm Standard Nikkor f1.8 D. I am experementing with what i enjoy shooting, and would like to add another lense to try other subjects.

I have been looking at a Sigma's 70-300mm f4-5.6 DL Macro Super, which is cost effective (i dont want to spend alot of money) and will offer macro, and sports with the long zoom. Any experiences with this lense? or any alternate suggestions?

Thank you in advance :D

it should be ok for your present needs. its a lightweight choice for travelling around

[further down the road u may want to get the nikkor AFD 80-200/f2.8 two touch]

Hi there gazamc!
Some alternatives that you can consider:
Nikon 70-300 ED
Tamron 70 - 300

I had researched on the net for these 3 lens, and I just recently bought the Nikon variant, because the pricing difference between these 3 lens is not that siginficant, and comments made say that the Nikon variant is slightly sharper.

And it's partly because it's a Nikon. I'm quite a sucker for nikon lenses. :D
Build quality is rather OK, although not up to standard to the more expensive lens like the 80-200 f2.8 types.

It's rather sharp and comparable to the 80-200 f2.8, but only if you don't use it wide open (ie, at apertures from f8 - f11), at focal ranges from 70-200. At 300mm, there is slight softness at all apertures.

Read more about this lens @ the Nikonians website.
www.nikonians.org

If you have friends in HK, you can ask them to get it for you @ this shop called Wing Shing for HKD$1980 (approx $450). Last time I checked, Cathay is selling this at $588 w/o GST.

There are reportedly rumors about the Tamron lens being the same as the Nikon variant, but I'm not really that sure on the extent of that rumor...

Just a sample image for you...
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~choonkng/sample.jpg (warning: full file size @ 72ppi). Image is slightly compressed to conserve file size. The original 2.6MB image is slightly sharper than this.

ISO 400:: 1/800s @ f8 @ 70mm (equivalent to 105mm on 35mm). Taken with a D100.

If you're working on a shoestring budget, get the 70-300G lens. Build quality is poorer, but hey, it's quite good as well!
Hope my comments helped...

SNAG said:
Hi there gazamc!
Some alternatives that you can consider:
Nikon 70-300 ED
Tamron 70 - 300

I had researched on the net for these 3 lens, and I just recently bought the Nikon variant, because the pricing difference between these 3 lens is not that siginficant, and comments made say that the Nikon variant is slightly sharper.

And it's partly because it's a Nikon. I'm quite a sucker for nikon lenses. :D
Build quality is rather OK, although not up to standard to the more expensive lens like the 80-200 f2.8 types.

It's rather sharp and comparable to the 80-200 f2.8, but only if you don't use it wide open (ie, at apertures from f8 - f11), at focal ranges from 70-200. At 300mm, there is slight softness at all apertures.

Read more about this lens @ the Nikonians website.
www.nikonians.org

If you have friends in HK, you can ask them to get it for you @ this shop called Wing Shing for HKD$1980 (approx $450). Last time I checked, Cathay is selling this at $588 w/o GST.

There are reportedly rumors about the Tamron lens being the same as the Nikon variant, but I'm not really that sure on the extent of that rumor...

Just a sample image for you...
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~choonkng/sample.jpg (warning: full file size @ 72ppi). Image is slightly compressed to conserve file size. The original 2.6MB image is slightly sharper than this.

ISO 400:: 1/800s @ f8 @ 70mm (equivalent to 105mm on 35mm). Taken with a D100.

If you're working on a shoestring budget, get the 70-300G lens. Build quality is poorer, but hey, it's quite good as well!
Hope my comments helped...

Excellent, thank you snag, im in no rush, im just an amateur, i can now consider these lenses. Im also a sucker for a brand to match my camera, but money was an issue...and nikkors are generally more expensive. But i shall definatley give these lenses a look!

Would close up filters/extension tubes provide a macro option for the nikon 70-300Ed?

gazamc said:
Excellent, thank you snag, im in no rush, im just an amateur, i can now consider these lenses. Im also a sucker for a brand to match my camera, but money was an issue...and nikkors are generally more expensive. But i shall definatley give these lenses a look!

Would close up filters/extension tubes provide a macro option for the nikon 70-300Ed?

You can actually get a 6T filter attachment to make the magnification 1:1. If I'm not wrong, this suggestion was actually in John Shaw's macro book. He called this a "poor man's macro"... :)

Cost is around $60? I have not gotten mine yet...

You might want to check out this thread. It discusses some lenses that you might want to consider

Status
Not open for further replies.