A K5 for half the price?

tsammyc

Apr 7, 2010
Not really, but it has the same 16MP Sony EXMOR sensor and can mount K lenses with an adapter. Manual focussing is a simple matter with its "peaking" function. Its the Sony NEX-C3 with a PK adapter. Here is what it looks like (taken with iPhone) when the FA31 is attached:

5939950225_d629b53975_b.jpg

I've only had it for a few hours and went out to dinner so here are a couple of shots. The first two of the clock are at F1.8 and F16. I forgot what the aperture for the two food ones are.

5940481174_698bfd6fc2_b.jpg

5939929545_5062c77b11_b.jpg

5940488250_a1e1c218df_b.jpg

5940491024_48fab2b8d5_b.jpg

er... it's not the same sensor right..
i've seen nex5's performance.. high ISO looks really bad

This is not the NEX-3 or NEX-5. It is the NEX-C3 released in Singapore 3 days ago which has the same 16MP Exmor Sensor found in the K5. Its tuned a little differently. The NEX-3 and NEX-5 had a 12MP sensor.

not same sensor but a cost down one, the Dynamic Range is 2 stops worse than K5, so it should be 1/4 priced, lol

not same sensor but a cost down one, the Dynamic Range is 2 stops worse than K5, so it should be 1/4 priced, lol

LOL You clearly didn't read the DXOmark comments. The only reason it measured lower on DR is that the NEX C3 doesn't have an ISO 100 setting. Otherwise it's identical. You can see it from the charts. Actually its probably 1/3 priced. Lelong lelong

From ISO100 to 3200, its pretty competitive, at 6400, I think the K5 pulls away (less patch NR artifacts and non of those blotchy yellow ones too), detail retention is also better for K5 at 6400 onwards, but a camera is certainly not just sensor. Egro, speedy access, WR, build all cost money.
Many Nikony out there like to say that the cameras use the same sensor as K5, but who knows. Might not even be the same bin or using more relaxed test specs, so can be the same but cheaper sensor due to higher yields.
Implementation is also different, unless everyone uses the same reference design and software (firmware) manipulation.

Maybe ok as a 2nd system, but ooohhh....man... the form factor.
Form factor is plain wrong.
IMHO, I still think that Pentax passed on some good vibes to Samsung and their NX series makes more sense in term of overall system form factor (ie. small, but not too small bodies; Small lenses)

Its very ugly btw (I mean the NEX) :)

Last edited:
LOL You clearly didn't read the DXOmark comments. The only reason it measured lower on DR is that the NEX C3 doesn't have an ISO 100 setting. Otherwise it's identical. You can see it from the charts. Actually its probably 1/3 priced. Lelong lelong

May I ask how much you bought yours? 1099?
Thinkin of a Kr as a 2nd body, or maybe this as an alternative.

Wonder hows the bokeh with its kit lens.
My fren have the Nex3, with the 16mm F2.8, the bokeh is still like a PnS. :embrass:

The only link I found with tests on the high iso.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotois/sets/72157627052327638/with/5873567054/

Last edited:

My fren have the Nex3, with the 16mm F2.8, the bokeh is still like a PnS. :embrass:

16mm f2.8, with its short FL of course there is a lot of DOF.
Bokeh is the quality of the OOF parts, DOF is the depth of field, not very correct to mix the terms up. ;)

It is not a trivial statistic - if you are shooting in bright light then you are mostly staying at base ISO, and in this scenario the K-5 will deliver better DR.

It is not a trivial statistic - if you are shooting in bright light then you are mostly staying at base ISO, and in this scenario the K-5 will deliver better DR.

I read somewhere that the K-5's base ISO is actually 200 (limited by the sensor), but Pentax have some firmware trickery that gets it down to 100. Its the same for pinholecam's observation of the ISO 6400 and above. The basic sensor is most likely identical, but Pentax has more better software (for some at least)

Now that I've woken up, took some daytime pictures.... Couldn't find my glasses, but I could still make out the "peaking" focus function and managed to manual focus even when everything I saw was blur... remarkable... this is definitely the camera when you are over 40... and the FA31 limited is a wonderful lens even on a Sony

5942196318_f7979cffa9_b.jpg

5942192460_6480b12bf2_b.jpg

5942194126_4373a1f037_b.jpg

5941647835_134da738b1_b.jpg

Maybe ok as a 2nd system, but ooohhh....man... the form factor.
Form factor is plain wrong.
IMHO, I still think that Pentax passed on some good vibes to Samsung and their NX series makes more sense in term of overall system form factor (ie. small, but not too small bodies; Small lenses)

Its very ugly btw (I mean the NEX) :)

The K5 will remain my primary camera, but I'm tired of waiting for Pentax to come up with an EVIL camera that takes my Pentax lenses and this is a perfectly usable solution. I've been using a KX as a backup. This will replace it. I don't have a problem with the NEX ergonomics and now all the buttons are programable, so if you don't like it, you can change it.

The NX series is OK, but it still trails in sensor quality and lenses. These are among my most important considerations.

As for the uglyness, I agree, but for street photography with the articulating LCD, I can take shots really stealthily, something which is impossible with my K5. In fact when I look at most of my street shots, even with a moderate tele lens, in about half the shots, when I zoom in at the eyes, someone is looking at me. As long as it works for the application, I'm not concerned how the equipment looks.

I read somewhere that the K-5's base ISO is actually 200 (limited by the sensor), but Pentax have some firmware trickery that gets it down to 100. Its the same for pinholecam's observation of the ISO 6400 and above. The basic sensor is most likely identical, but Pentax has more better software (for some at least)

Whatever it is they are doing, it works. The K-5 gets better from ISO 200 to ISO 80 - my D700 does not gain this same advantage when going from ISO 200 to ISO 100, and so ends up losing to the K-5 in bright light....

It was $1,079 on a credit card. This will probably be the 2nd body to my K5. Currently using at KX for that.

The bokeh with the kit zoom lens is mediocre. http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/543-sony1855f3556nex
I don't really plan on using the kit lenses and may sell them off if my daughter doesn't use the C3/Kit Zoom as a P&S.

16mm f2.8, with its short FL of course there is a lot of DOF.

According to Photozone, the 16mm f2.8 is a mediocre lens. It's sharp in the center, but really bad off center wide open and bokeh is lousy. Handling it, I'm not surprised... its superlight. wonder if its got any glass in it at all....

The K5 will remain my primary camera, but I'm tired of waiting for Pentax to come up with an EVIL camera that takes my Pentax lenses and this is a perfectly usable solution. I've been using a KX as a backup. This will replace it. I don't have a problem with the NEX ergonomics and now all the buttons are programable, so if you don't like it, you can change it.

The NX series is OK, but it still trails in sensor quality and lenses. These are among my most important considerations.

As for the uglyness, I agree, but for street photography with the articulating LCD, I can take shots really stealthily, something which is impossible with my K5. In fact when I look at most of my street shots, even with a moderate tele lens, in about half the shots, when I zoom in at the eyes, someone is looking at me. As long as it works for the application, I'm not concerned how the equipment looks.

Tsammyc, don't say that... my NX might get angry at you! :bsmilie: 85mm f/1.4 is coming on NX and this baby can do night with 30mm 2.0 mounted...

5941651115_983761d66d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Saying two cameras are the same because they have the same sensor is like saying that a high end mechanical pencil is same as a cheap one if you use the same lead.

If a MIC low end car uses a BMW engine are you saying they should be priced the same? What happened to handling? Optical viewfinder? SR? Electronic level ? Superior battery life? Better build?

In any case I can see the place for mirrorless cameras but given a choice I'd rather lug around a DSLR anyway.. When you have a tripod with you, mirrorless or DSLR also no difference to me. :p

Last edited:
tsammyc said:

And Nikon is doing the same for its D7K with close wizardry too? :dunno:

I'm interested to find out more, but the K-r seems to gain DR in the shadows compared to its base ISO of 200.

Last edited:
Here's the C3 with the LCD extended and the shorter FA77. Looks less ugly and will probably be my stealth street lens.

5942164943_9949b7f02a_b.jpg