A heads-up on fraudulent credit card transactions ....

kklee

Aug 13, 2004
Last Thursday, it was OCBC - called to informed me that my CC was no longer secured, did a cancel and a new card is on its way.
Today morning, it was UOB - had to called them when I woke and saw two SMSes on transaction which I didn't make.

So do be on the alert.

Ya... I also kena... AmEx called me and told me that 3 transactions on World Com or something was fishy. They were for Playstation in-game purchases. Told them I don't even own and has never played a PS. They voided the transactions, cancelled my card, and sent me a new one.

Ya... I also kena... AmEx called me and told me that 3 transactions on World Com or something was fishy. They were for Playstation in-game purchases. Told them I don't even own and has never played a PS. They voided the transactions, cancelled my card, and sent me a new one.

Last week?

Thanks for the headsup!

Thanks Kit & UncleFai.

I am quite puzzled as to where the leak could have occurred.
If I recall, I had transactions with the sites below. Any similar ?

DXO Luxembourg
Qoo10
Aliexpress
DX
Amazon
Latestays

Thanks Kit & UncleFai.

I am quite puzzled as to where the leak could have occurred.
If I recall, I had transactions with the sites below. Any similar ?

DXO Luxembourg
Qoo10
Aliexpress
DX
Amazon
Latestays

My last transaction was Amazon.com. I have not been using this card for some time before that (except for some recurring monthly billings - insurance etc. - which never had been a problem). So yes, I highly suspect Amazon.

Last edited:
By the way, I am very impressed by AmEx Card Protection Services. They emailed me and called me... at first I saw the word "Protection" and thought they were trying to sell me some insurance thingy so I ignored. Then they called me and the guy was super helpful. And at the end of the conversation, he said "and please call the number at the back of your AmEx card to verify our conversation."

I don't know about the other cards - since this is the first time I kena any such thing - but I am impressed, nonetheless.

My last transaction was Amazon.com. I have not been using this card for some time before that. So yes, I highly suspect Amazon.

Noted. I might have to consider using a credit card for Amazon.

I got hit back in Jan. POSB debit mastercard.

The 1st txn on your DBS Card ending #### was USD39.99, BLIZZARD ENT*ONL STORE 800-592-5499 CA. If you did not use the card, pls call +65 6327 2265

Called immediately and got it cancelled. I once lost a card holder couple of years back but wasn't sure if this card was in it, or if it's sitting somewhere at home. The obvious thing is that if that physical card was really the one that had been used, then the expiry date would obviously be wrong. When I'd logged in, it did show that the transaction had not gone through. In any case, this was a card that I held as a spare, and had never been used (1st txn) online.

Last edited:
By the way, I am very impressed by AmEx Card Protection Services. They emailed me and called me... at first I saw the word "Protection" and thought they were trying to sell me some insurance thingy so I ignored. Then they called me and the guy was super helpful. And at the end of the conversation, he said "and please call the number at the back of your AmEx card to verify our conversation."

I don't know about the other cards - since this is the first time I kena any such thing - but I am impressed, nonetheless.

These are the first for me as well, since 1993.
I can't really say that I am impressed with either OCBC or UOB.

OCBC made the first contact but there were no SMSes on my mobile of any transactions.
I had to call UOB because there were SMSes on my mobile of transactions. I received 2 SMSes but there was actually 4 transactions.

I believe that the triggering of an SMS is based on $ value.
Would OCBC be equally effective with high $ value transactions ?
Why UOB detection is not like OCBC?

With OCBC, it is more straight forward - cancel the card and issue a new card. I do not need to do anything from my end.
With UOB, it is more complicated. I had to raise a dispute which could take up to 90 days to resolve.

Whatever it is, I think I seriously need to review how I am going to do such transactions the next time.

I got hit back in Jan. POSB debit mastercard.

Called immediately and got it cancelled. I once lost a card holder couple of years back but wasn't sure if this card was in it, or if it's sitting somewhere at home. The obvious thing is that if that physical card was really the one that had been used, then the expiry date would obviously be wrong. When I'd logged in, it did show that the transaction had not gone through. In any case, this was a card that I held as a spare, and had never been used (1st txn) online.

Perhaps it is because you called immediately which is why the transaction didn't go through.
I believe mine was overseas transactions, the SMSes came in at 1:30am and 2:30am - I saw the messages at 7:30am.

I was told by POSB that some vendors/companies will make a 2nd and subsequent deductions for a product or service you purchased. They tell you in the fine prints(and that's cheating in my books!).

Perhaps it is because you called immediately which is why the transaction didn't go through.
I believe mine was overseas transactions, the SMSes came in at 1:30am and 2:30am - I saw the messages at 7:30am.

Same in my case. Received the SMS early morning. Was given a specific number to call. Apparently, DBS/POSB maintain a 24hr number for these cases. I got through to the staff directly at 6am in the morning, no machines.

Be careful of the SMS and number you call are genuine.

The staff on the line told me she can block the transaction but cannot cancel my card. I will still have to call POSB personally to cancel it. I did just that and found out the bank did have records of my call to their staff earlier in the morning. Its genuine. In my case at least.