A happy new year and a sad day for clubsnap

Status
Not open for further replies.

singscott

Aug 25, 2004
www.whltelightphotographer.com
As we are having a happy chinese lunar new year, but it a sad day for me in clubsnap. Why? It is because I know now I can't freely express my view that might be touchy to the "gods" of clubsnap. One example "student" kick out of clubsnap by answer a question post one such "god". Doc Chong is raw frank, I afraid as I am such person. Student is a very knowlegdable photographer on the matter of photography. Especially the zone system, film and large format photography. Many of us can talk out loud of using the latest digital camera, but how many have use a 11x14 large format camera and printed it's picture? We have lost this interesting individual in what would be robust forum. All of us are here to contribut and learn at the same time. Enjoy it where you can, just stay out of the "gods of clubsnap way" which I will do as I am one such person who do what he preach. So now with this thread my fate in clubsnap are in the hand of these "gods" and I will not respone to any comment the other supporter might have. But you free to express any thing you on this thread before it disappear :what:

I agree that Student is very knowledgeable and in fact a very approachable person.

It is a sad loss to this community.

:(

haiz... u can please some of the people all of the time. u can please all of the people some of the time. but u can't please all the people all the time.

i met and talked with student b4. he's actually quite approachable guy and knowledgable abt photography as it shld be. spent 1/2 hr talking to him on sat afternoon once, and learnt more abt exposure and metering from him than i would from 1/2 hr of reading. if he's a fault online here, dat will be too frank sometimes abt issues or people. i dun agree with him all the time either, on some issues (eg most recently abt russel wong). then again, i give him the benefit of doubt dat he meant well by challenging me to relook at certain issues.

still, as i said, the only fault with him is dat he's too frank and cutting in his remarks at times. perhaps, dats wat riled people here. not so much abt offending the 'gods of CS' with raw comments, but how he put forth his views. oh well...

doc - hope to bump into u again? take care, yah?

Or could it be that the others were tooooooooo sensitive? I have no problems with people being frank........what happened by the way? I read some postings on the ZS a few days ago......will read it again...

HS

'kick(ed) out of clubsnap', how can this happened to someone here??

I have personally benefitted quite a bit from his generous teaching in traditional photography, though I'd only met him twice. It's a real loss for CS due to some rather drastic and uncalled for actions by the *gods*.

Then again, before this thread sounds like the wake for Dr Chong, I'd like to say that probably it's better this way, anyway. I really doubt that with the hard-handing of the *gods* and the frankness of student, this would be the last clash, if he were to remain in CS. Heck! This isn't the first time the *gods* acted godly too... but most of us just remain hush hush, either in fear or with indifference or ignorance. With student's straight-forwardness, I would think that he would go onto the neck of the *gods* if he knows about those godly acts too!

Furthermore, I really think that student's opinion would be more appreciated elsewhere, in other photography forums where people are more mature in handling comments, and more proficient in the craft, other than just gadget talks. Let's wish him all the best!

-- Adam
*sticking my head on the chopping board*

reachme2003 said:
'kick(ed) out of clubsnap', how can this happened to someone here??

Singscott, wat happen, long time never come in liao..... :dunno:

Can not find the thread.....what happened? No-one can be chucked out of this forum isn't it?

HS

hongsien said:
Or could it be that the others were tooooooooo sensitive? I have no problems with people being frank........what happened by the way? I read some postings on the ZS a few days ago......will read it again...

HS

Nothing to do with the ZS posting at all... though that may have been one of the instances when the *gods* may actually step in, if the war of words became more serious.

Please refer to this post with regards to the matter at hand: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=1092615&postcount=63

The_Cheat said:
I have personally benefitted quite a bit from his generous teaching in traditional photography, though I'd only met him twice. It's a real loss for CS due to some rather drastic and uncalled for actions by the *gods*.

Then again, before this thread sounds like the wake for Dr Chong, I'd like to say that probably it's better this way, anyway. I really doubt that with the hard-handing of the *gods* and the frankness of student, this would be the last clash, if he were to remain in CS. Heck! This isn't the first time the *gods* acted godly too... but most of us just remain hush hush, either in fear or with indifference or ignorance. With student's straight-forwardness, I would think that he would go onto the neck of the *gods* if he knows about those godly acts too!

Furthermore, I really think that student's opinion would be more appreciated elsewhere, in other photography forums where people are more mature in handling comments, and more proficient in the craft, other than just gadget talks. Let's wish him all the best!

-- Adam
*sticking my head on the chopping board*
Yeap.. should the F5 cost 1,300 or 1,800.. I am not clear.. it is tormenting me.. that will trouble me ever so much tonight unless I get an administrator to clear it out in a determined, matured fashion.. way to go Jason..

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1092845#post1092845

to put things in perspective, read the string of posts:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=108534&page=2&pp=40

in my opinion, there're quite a bit of unnecessary allegations/confrontations that took place. everyone should be willing to give and take a bit, especially when it's "inhumane" online posting of messages :dunno: also, the arguments were never on photography-related matters but "messy" human interaction.

mpenza said:

in my opinion, there're quite a bit of unnecessary allegations/confrontations that took place. everyone should be willing to give and take a bit, especially when it's "inhumane" online posting of messages :dunno: also, the arguments were never on photography-related matters but "messy" human interaction.
Possible, but if everytime I felt let down by my friends, family etc. I "locked them out" it would have been a lonely world.. would it not?

Well, objectively speaking, worse has happened with less repercussions.
Most were simply locked and participants given a warning.

mpenza said:

this incident serves as a reminder to all of us here in CS that we are only guests in a open house.
Being a guest we need to mind our manners and been sensitive to every one of the other guests as well as the "houseowners". At times we may feel like screaming and shouting but if the owners are ok with the bad behaviour then the whole house may be like an unorganised camp. Likewise, owners have their own set of likes and preferences, and so if our ideas crash with them then it is better not to come into the house and try to visit another house. This is a fact of life and like the chinese says, "a country has its own set of laws, a house has also its set of rules".
However we also expect house-owners to be nice and friendly and by sacking (chasing out) a guest in such a manner, then it's going to give a lot of ppl a different impression of the hosts.
It would be great if our hosts can be more forgiving this time around.

Hmm .. actually I was following the thread at that moment and witnessed student got deregistered. I cant help .. :( .. and student is too frank to point out .... whatever it it!

Well, there is a hugh mixed of pple here in CS forum. Some merely come in look see look see, leech some photos and taking part in the forum etc etc etc.

In anyway, we cannot get too emotions for the text written down here as we cant see the real person in person! He can be smiling away writing some nasty thingy here and create havoc that we wouldnt know ... :dunno:

Let's try to be impartial and make this CS forum a better place to communicate and share share in photography ... :)

This is Roster year ... we should shoot more rather than talk c.o.c.k. on unnecessary thingy that may jeopardise our friendship here .. adjust accordingly to situations that call for the correct ethics in that thread ... :sweat:

The past was past ... let's move on ... :cool:

marios_pittas said:
Yeap.. should the F5 cost 1,300 or 1,800.. I am not clear.. it is tormenting me.. that will trouble me ever so much tonight unless I get an administrator to clear it out in a determined, matured fashion.. way to go Jason..

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1092845#post1092845

After reading it (a quick one), i felt this guy got beheaded too harshly.......without much interrogation.......

KNIGHT ONG said:
Hmm .. actually I was following the thread at that moment and witnessed student got deregistered. I cant help .. :( .. and student is too frank to point out .... whatever it it!

Well, there is a hugh mixed of pple here in CS forum. Some merely come in look see look see, leech some photos and taking part in the forum etc etc etc.

In anyway, we cannot get too emotions for the text written down here as we cant see the real person in person! He can be smiling away writing some nasty thingy here and create havoc that we wouldnt know ... :dunno:

Let's try to be impartial and make this CS forum a better place to communicate and share share in photography ... :)

This is Roster year ... we should shoot more rather than talk c.o.c.k. on unnecessary thingy that may jeopardise our friendship here .. adjust accordingly to situations that call for the correct ethics in that thread ... :sweat:

The past was past ... let's move on ... :cool:

The past was past ... let's move on ...
How can one not have an opinion? How can something mean nothing? How can you change without critising/asking/suggesting? How can you see and just walk away? Or is it the case that it only maters if it happens to one personally? Move on where? Till it happens again? The past is a good indication of the future!

What are all these comments about freedom of speech and god? Did I delete any of your postings?

People who know me long enough will realise that I hate flamewars, heated arguements and groundless accusations. And once I am involved to respond to a thread, that means things have gone overboard. As much as my role on ClubSNAP requires me to act on these threads, I have never enjoyed doing such things.

I always advocate peaceful resolution if there is any issue. I hate and never like people taking forum as their debating or fighting ground to argue their way around. That is because things will never get resolved in the best manner for all parties involved on forums once it gets into the public. Heated argument, nasty words of exchange and even threats will appear and this doesnt help at all.

I can understand how and why people can get personal over words. No, I am not stopping or trying to control anyone emotion. Neither am I to say whos right or whos wrong. But can I have a simple request from our members here? Please try your best to control the tone of your own postings as much as possible. If things really get too heated, cool down, logout and relax a bit. Reading and quoting with a more heated and/or personal isnt going to help. Is that too much to ask for?

Also as much freedom as I give everyone to post their views on this forum, shouldnt I be given the same amount of freedom to act and react on things/issues that I feel its best for this forum to move on? Or is that consider too "godly" for our members too?

Yes, but does this particular thread needed action from the Mods? So much so to deregister someone?

I did find his posting weren't that serious, he didn't use harsh words, time to look at what Adam said: ''I know where you come from'....now what does that mean?............Student was just asking for the people to be abit more welcoming, thats all, and this evoked an in my eyes uncalled derogorative comment from Adam Goi.........

HS

Status
Not open for further replies.