a 'good' tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
i need recommendation for a 'good' tripod.

definition of good

1)light
2)not bulky, mostly for travel purpose
3)a good head that very sturdy.best, able to take the weight of D3 in portrait position
4)longest lens that will be used with it will be the 70-200 afs vr.

please recommend.TIA

PS:no 'cheapo' ones please.:embrass:

Gitzo?

Traveller for compactness?? But you lose out in the height part (max is 140cm)... it's lower than the normal range. There is a special Titanium Traveller for your load level.. 4kg for the head. Tripod can take up to 8kg.

Gitzo Titanium

Else you'd need to look at the Mountaineer series. Mebbe the GT0540. ;)

Gitzo Catalog in PDF.

i dont see the titanium one in cp.
where can i get it?i dont think sgp brings in this model right?

the casing for the titanium one is so beautiful...goodness.

anyone wants to guess how much the titanium one is?
i nearly fainted when i hear the price.:bsmilie:

indent basis.minumum 3 months.
they will engrave your name on the tripod.:bsmilie:

anyone wants to guess how much the titanium one is?
i nearly fainted when i hear the price.

indent basis.minumum 3 months.
they will engrave your name on the tripod.:bsmilie:

You didn't want a cheapo one mah.... :bsmilie:

How? Like it? :sweat::bsmilie:

Taiwan seems to have it at about 3.7k
Malaysia at RM8500 which is also the same 3.7k
UK is at 1,449 pounds converted is 4.1k :bigeyes:

i dont see the titanium one in cp.
where can i get it?i dont think sgp brings in this model right?

the casing for the titanium one is so beautiful...goodness.

Btw, if you really want this, look for Shriro, they are the local distributor.

I just bought a Gitzo Basalt 1931 which costs about S$550 which is reasonable. Also bought a cheaper ballhead, the Giotto, as I only need to support a Leica which is light.

If you want a premium brand, then I would go for Gitzo in Singapore. Its difficult to find the other name brands here. Otherwise go to B&H online and look at tripods.

For Gitzo, the more expensive stands are the carbon ones as they are the lightest and strongest. Their quality is much better than Manfrotto. The carbon equivalent of the Basalt one only weights 1.1kg but costs about 40-50% more. Depends on your budget but Cathay sells top end at S$2k++. However, I bought my stand at the shop upstairs which is a Gitzo dealer.

The issue for you will be the ball head. For a D3, you will need a larger ball head and they are not light unless you fork out $$$ for carbon or titanium. RRS are very good but you would haved to go online to buy I think.

Have been considering a Velbon Neo Carmagne 640A. Seems pretty light and short when folded. The max load is 6kg. Not sure if that is enough for the D3. The price listed on Laudigital is $360. Dunno if you would class this as a cheapo. :p

http://www.laudigital.com.sg/product_detail_tripods.asp?ID=80&CatID=

On Velbon's website, they listed a Sherpa Pro CF-640. Specs are slightly different in terms of dimensions. No price listed there though.

http://www.velbon-tripod.com/sherpa_pro01.htm

I just bought a Gitzo Basalt 1931 which costs about S$550 which is reasonable. Also bought a cheaper ballhead, the Giotto, as I only need to support a Leica which is light.

If you want a premium brand, then I would go for Gitzo in Singapore. Its difficult to find the other name brands here. Otherwise go to B&H online and look at tripods.

For Gitzo, the more expensive stands are the carbon ones as they are the lightest and strongest. Their quality is much better than Manfrotto. The carbon equivalent of the Basalt one only weights 1.1kg but costs about 40-50% more. Depends on your budget but Cathay sells top end at S$2k++. However, I bought my stand at the shop upstairs which is a Gitzo dealer.

The issue for you will be the ball head. For a D3, you will need a larger ball head and they are not light unless you fork out $$$ for carbon or titanium. RRS are very good but you would haved to go online to buy I think.

shop upstairs is what shop ah?
i have a gitzo and manfrotto 190b.gitzo i cant remember model.but it aint light.and it's carbon.
ya.the head matters.and i always have problems looking for a good head.too many out there.

Have been considering a Velbon Neo Carmagne 640A. Seems pretty light and short when folded. The max load is 6kg. Not sure if that is enough for the D3. The price listed on Laudigital is $360. Dunno if you would class this as a cheapo. :p

http://www.laudigital.com.sg/product_detail_tripods.asp?ID=80&CatID=

On Velbon's website, they listed a Sherpa Pro CF-640. Specs are slightly different in terms of dimensions. No price listed there though.

http://www.velbon-tripod.com/sherpa_pro01.htm

looks bulky...

You didn't want a cheapo one mah.... :bsmilie:

How? Like it? :sweat::bsmilie:

Taiwan seems to have it at about 3.7k
Malaysia at RM8500 which is also the same 3.7k
UK is at 1,449 pounds converted is 4.1k :bigeyes:

i love it.really.it's beautiful.+ the case...piang eh...drool.

BUT a tripod for 3.8k is insane.

gitzo carbon fiber series definitely...
but what's yor budget? they seem to lie around 600-800 for the tripod(+head)
I have one at only 0.7kg bought many 2 yrs back at CP, but thing is they can't go that high but not a problem to me.

Go on ... admit it Jeanie - you want to.

What's 3.8K? It's all relative.

Just imagine the sheer joy you would get from that purchase.

It's not just a monument of pristine engineering - it's a symbol of the impeccible lineage, quality and prestige that only very few are able to appreciate. Sure, it may sound expensive, but where else in the world could a measely 3.8K buy you so much happiness?

Sales pitch mode OFF. LOL!

Or have you looked at the FOBA Asnio? Only 30cm when folded, the 2.1kg professional tripod with a maximum load of 60kg goes from a minimum shooting height of 6.5cm to a maximum height ... hang on, there's no stated maximum with the Combitube system. http://www.foba.ch/eng/programm/programm.htm

If you get the FOBA tripod, you might be more exclusive than if you were to get the G Titanium! They also seem to have some serious kick-as* heads.

dream, are you sure you are not a gitzo salesman?:bsmilie:

btw, i just visited RRS website.
very cool stuff they have.i'll prob grab one from them.
and they have the D3 L plate.that's something i had always wanted!for shooting in portrait mode.

now...got to find the ultimate legs...a really really light one but not one that cost 3.8k.:bsmilie:

Try the Benro Travel Angle carbon fibre range... light, compact, and able to mount a reasonably heavy load... check out Jack006's MO threads for pricing or PM him... reasonably priced but not cheapo in construction...

for ball head, can consider Acratech GV2 Ballhead... light weight and low profile but able to hold a heavy load...

how come the acratech head look so familiar?
i think darren advertise before IIRC...
and i dont understand what's a gimball head.and what's the explanation in the paragraph.
can explain?:dunno:

In the end, I think she may just fall for that limited edition piece...

Call me evil, but since she has fallen for it, wat's a lil more to support your expensive setup? :bsmilie:

And even the CF Gitzo's aren't on the cheap side either... at least 1 to 2 k for a good setup.

how come the acratech head look so familiar?
i think darren advertise before IIRC...
and i dont understand what's a gimball head.and what's the explanation in the paragraph.
can explain?:dunno:

Gimbal head? Here, Wimberly

Its gimbal-type design allows you to rotate your lens around its center of gravity and thus easily manipulate very large lenses.

gv2-gimbal-ballhead.jpg

This is how it looks like in the Gimbal head mode.

now...got to find the ultimate legs...

VISUAL: Jeanie, at keyboard hears an echo in her mind like a mantra.

VOICE OVER INTRO AND UP - ECHO SFX LIKE DIRE STRAITS' "I WANT MY MTV": "I want my, I want my G Ti-ta-nium...I want my, I want my G Ti-ta-nium..."

VISUAL: Cut to MCU of Jeanie's face. Her eyes gets dreamy as her fingers slide to the depress the return key. A hint of a smile forms at the corner of her mouth.

AUDIO: 'CLICK' SFX

VISUAL: The soft glow that eminates from her screen suddenly and very quickly grows and reaches out to her, enveloping her in a serene, euphoric bluish grey light as SFX of sparkilng 'GITZO TITANIUM' logos cricle the room. Camera pulls back, Blue light now fills the entire room and transforms into a blinding white light. CUT.

AUDIO: MUSIC BG UP, STINGER, END.

VISUAL: CUT BACK TO MED SHOT OF JEANIE, RIGHT VIEW, SLUMPED IN CHAIR WITH GLOWING SMILE ON FACE. FADE, END.

Gimbal head? Here, Wimberly

gv2-gimbal-ballhead.jpg

This is how it looks like in the Gimbal head mode.

Its gimbal-type design allows you to rotate your lens around its center of gravity and thus easily manipulate very large lenses.

this is what i dont understand.from the pic, how does the lens able to be position 'around it's center of gravity'?

blur liao....

Status
Not open for further replies.