a good starter DSLR?

tanglewire

Aug 9, 2010
hello guys. a new guy here who's really thrilled with photography.

recently i got a compact samsung st550 camera with my gf and i was so facinated with it and have it along with me everywhere i go. i love to snap beautiful thing around my surrounding.

just yesterday i lost my beloved camera with almost 500photo shoot of the day at malacca and it's really heartaching to lose every effort i put it.

now i'm back here wanting to upgrade and is seriously considering on stepping the platform to DSLR level as i feel that there are some areas that compact camera can't fulfill me.

1. shutter speed.
2. clear low light and night shot

but of course i really love the super marco function of the camera.

so im here seeking assistance and advice on which DSLR should i be looking? budget is definitely a constraint and i'll be getting a 2nd hand DSLR.

hello guys. a new guy here who's really thrilled with photography.

recently i got a compact samsung st550 camera with my gf and i was so facinated with it and have it along with me everywhere i go. i love to snap beautiful thing around my surrounding.

just yesterday i lost my beloved camera with almost 500photo shoot of the day at malacca and it's really heartaching to lose every effort i put it.

now i'm back here wanting to upgrade and is seriously considering on stepping the platform to DSLR level as i feel that there are some areas that compact camera can't fulfill me.

1. shutter speed.
2. clear low light and night shot

but of course i really love the super marco function of the camera.

so im here seeking assistance and advice on which DSLR should i be looking? budget is definitely a constraint and i'll be getting a 2nd hand DSLR.

do you mind sharing how much is your budget...
is brand an impt factor...

Its so common to see the title First DSLR or the likes of it these days.

What you're asking for can be done with a prosumer camera. Unless you'd like to spend more on a DSLR with about 3/4 of the functions not utilized. If you have a small budget, go for sony A230, slightly more, nikon D5000 or canon 500D.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but macro function with a DSLR depends on the ability of the lens, I dont think a 18-55mm on macro setting will do much for you.

Cheers!

Welcome to CS.

DSLR is good quality, of course. But it is not a magic wand. It gives you more control and is able to do a lot more, better and faster. Problem is, with all this control, the burden of making a good image now shifts to the person holding the camera. The camera depends on you to know what to do, which settings to use, which lens to use, in order to get what you are looking for. So for most new entrants into the DSLR world, their photos will start off looking a lot worse than when they are using their compact PnS. Because now a DSLR will make a lot less decisions for you. And if you do not know what you are doing, the Camera will not compensate for you.

And do remember that going into DSLR is going be quite expensive. You cannot just look at the cost of the camera alone. There are accessories, additional lenses, tripods... everything will add up very quickly. I would say a fairly good budget to start with would be $5k if you are looking for a fairly ok setup.

I encourage you to read more online, and join some newbie outings under the Outings subforum.

Good start here:

Camera basics
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Last edited:
my budget is < $500 for a 2nd hand camera

you can try the BnS section of CS. look under your preferred brand and model (if you have one), or you can read reviews online first to streamline your decision on which brand and model you want to get.

happy hunting! :)

Go look at the B n S, for instance Nikon D70 could be gotten as low as $450 (body only). And there's one on sale right now (not related in anyway to the seller, nor am I saying it is a confirmed good buy, caveat emptor). Old model, but very respectable results in capable hands! It is the Grandfather of D90 (Nikon's current range of serious amature model).

Of course, I'm not saying it is your ONLY option...but one of the many to consider.

Agreed with Rashkae - read up, rush buying will only get you regrets if you haven't consider all the things about DSLRs...

Last edited:
Go look at the B n S, for instance Nikon D70 could be gotten as low as $450 (body only). And there's one on sale right now (not related in anyway to the seller, nor am I saying it is a confirmed good buy, caveat emptor). Old model, but very respectable results in capable hands! It is the Grandfather of D90 (Nikon's current range of serious amature model).

Of course, I'm not saying it is your ONLY option...but one of the many to consider.

Agreed with Rashkae - read up, rush buying will only get you regrets if you haven't consider all the things about DSLRs...

Actually bro, I sold a D70s for $300 at one time. ;) $450 is on the very high side. Should be around $350

Actually bro, I sold a D70s for $300 at one time. ;) $450 is on the very high side. Should be around $350

Ah-hah! Spoil market, you! :bsmilie: But good for the buyers!...

Another thing would be to visit the 2nd-hand stores around Funan - one(or two) at Adelphi and two at Peninsular - boy, they are cramped with Nikons and Canons!

Last edited:
Ah-hah! Spoil market, you! :bsmilie: But good for the buyers!...

Another thing would be to visit the 2nd-hand stores around Funan - one(or two) at Adelphi and two at Peninsular - boy, they are cramped with Nikons and Canons!

Eh... no la. quick sale mah. The camera got returned in the end. Got issue with the CF card slot. In the end got it repaired for $60. (Nikon quoted $190)...

Then it got sold again by my brother.

And yes, the market rate for D70 D70s is around $350 now.

Last edited:
Eh... no la. quick sale mah. The camera got returned in the end. Got issue with the CF card slot. In the end got it repaired for $60. (Nikon quoted $190)...

Then it got sold again by my brother.

And yes, the market rate for D70 D70s is around $350 now.

If so, D70s is the better model to get since the LCD screen slightly larger! Thanks for the heads up.

If so, D70s is the better model to get since the LCD screen slightly larger! Thanks for the heads up.

Only a bit larger. Still look very small compared to cameras today... :bigeyes:

Wait... are you getting another camera???!!

Only a bit larger. Still look very small compared to cameras today... :bigeyes:

Wait... are you getting another camera???!!

Lolz... just trying to convince my kid to pass on his newly owned Nikon PnS to his Auntie... then try to convince him to take on my Canon IXUS 120... now I'm thinking eventually he will be ready to take on auto/manual mode... Considering 2nd hand DSLRs for now... :bsmilie: Not D3000, or D5000, - no screws...