A good camera to start?

WindowSnap

Aug 31, 2006
Hi, i am planning to get a DSLR recently and i would lik to ask for advice on what would be a good set-up for me to start.

My budget is around 1.5k and i prefer new camera. Preferred brand will be canon, but still quite open about it.

Thanks in advance=)

Hi, i am planning to get a DSLR recently and i would lik to ask for advice on what would be a good set-up for me to start.

My budget is around 1.5k and i prefer new camera. Preferred brand will be canon, but still quite open about it.

Thanks in advance=)

Another 'which camera for a newbie' thread...

Canon 1000D,450D,500D,550D
Nikon D3000,D5000,D90
Sony A230,330,380,500,550
Pentax K-x
Olympus E-450

hello!
if you want canon.
you should get a XXXD camera.
Wouldn't recommend 1000D though; many people call it an oversized point and shoot.

If TS isn't looking to shoot sports then 1000D is fine...Things like landscapes and street photography don't need the camera to have high FPS and things like that...

Welcome to CS:)

Go Harvey Norman's or Best Denki and fondle all the cameras on display.

No seriously:)

If you are just starting out, and have no legacy lenses or accesories, you should really go with the camera which feels best to you. Any of the major systems nowadays are comprehensive and good enough, it's a matter of which one you like more.

Of course, the two major brands Nikon and Canon will have more active 2nd hand trading markets, which may or may not be a factor for you as well.....

I would suggest the Canon EOS 550D. I'm a fellow beginner myself and I just bought my first ever DSLR 2 weeks ago. I bought a Canon EOS 550D which just came out 2 months ago and I can only describe my experience with it till now in one word: AWESOME. Highly recommended.

P.S.: I bought it for SGD1300 at SLR Revolution at Funan.

hello!
if you want canon.
Wouldn't recommend 1000D though; many people call it an oversized point and shoot.

Goodness, I didn't know PnS cameras can change lenses.

May want to start with Prosumer bridge camera, that can help you pick up skill and build a solid foundation for DSLR. e.g. Panasonic FZ35 (see steves-digicams forum).

hello!
if you want canon.
please quote the people who stated that... thank you.
I want to give them a slap on the face.

Thanks in advance=)
welcome to clubsnap!

As cleonbus listed, there are really a large number of choices for the first time DSLR buyer.
Do try to have an open mind and consider all the contenders first, unless you really have an undying love for one brand, or you have access to lenses/accessories from one particular brand.

Go to Courts Megastore and also Sony Style, and have a feel of the display sets. One particular brand/model should "call out to you"... :) Happy Hunting!

TS, you may check out the recent 550D kit. Well, if you are certain enough, and dont need video, consider a 2nd-hand 40D/50D.

I understand your problem. It happened to me too.
It is better to go to camera shops to get a hands on it.
Since you prefer Canon.. try the latest model 550D.

You must know what's ur needs
- can video? - a rotating view? - light weight? - lens considering? - cost? - etc etc...

Another 'which camera for a newbie' thread...

Canon 1000D,450D,500D,550D
Nikon D3000,D5000,D90
Sony A230,330,380,500,550
Pentax K-x
Olympus E-450

What to do? Newbies will always ask this question, didn't you when you first started? :bsmilie: