A gathering for slide users

Status
Not open for further replies.

theITguy

Sep 19, 2003
In this small world
Visit site
Hi to all reading this thread,

First let me introduce myself, my name is Christopher, just ORD still looking for a job. Came across something call slide film, fall in love with it although I am very much a newbie in photography. I may have started photography quite late till the point certain things are harder and harder to find. I remember a number of people shoot slide film and bulk rolling them etc.

Nowadays I seldom find people talking about slides film, mostly talking in Digital, or to an extend B&W. I find that in fact the number of people shooting slides are a niche number, in Singapore at least. As digital becomes part of our lives, traditional stuff may be harder to find. For example you will not be able to get a print direct from slides locally, only by scanning and print digitally or using the internegative way for what I know.

I am organising this gathering for the following reasons:
1. To promote the use of slide film, be it 35mm, Medium Format or Large Format
2. To consolidate information about local and overseas information about slide
3. To provide an opportunity for people to actually sit down and view the pictures on slide, than looking at the dumb computer ;p

For those interested in such a gathering, below are some ideas of location and timing:
Time: 7pm
Date: 16th Feb 2005, Wed

Please leave your name in the list if you are interested:

1. theITguy

Christopher

Kudos to your effort in organising such an interesting gathering. It's a pity that I don't shoot much slides (I mean out of interest, not because of the documentation demand from my work). Personally I find that that it's rather hard to get that good exposure for slides.

Anyway, I would drop by your gathering if I could find time. Never know what the week after Chinese New Year will hold... am expectating tonnes of backlog to clear.

First let me introduce myself, my name is Christopher, just ORD still looking for a job. Came across something call slide film, fall in love with it although I am very much a newbie in photography. I may have started photography quite late till the point certain things are harder and harder to find. I remember a number of people shoot slide film and bulk rolling them etc.

Nowadays I seldom find people talking about slides film, mostly talking in Digital, or to an extend B&W. I find that in fact the number of people shooting slides are a niche number, in Singapore at least. As digital becomes part of our lives, traditional stuff may be harder to find. For example you will not be able to get a print direct from slides locally, only by scanning and print digitally or using the internegative way for what I know.

3. To provide an opportunity for people to actually sit down and view the pictures on slide, than looking at the dumb computer ;p

For those interested in such a gathering, below are some ideas of location and timing:

1. theITguy
2. Taihigh

Christopher

1. theITguy
2. Taihigh
3. tommy tang
4. kah hoe

Christopher

1. theITguy
2. Taihigh
3. tommy tang
4. kah hoe
5. Trot

I am interested but will not be able to make it this Wednesday.
Hopefully, there will be another gathering which I can join.

Hi Happy CNY.. I'm a newbie in photography and would like to learn from the experts on slide photograhy.. Can I join in? Do I need to bring anything along? ;)

1. theITguy
2. Taihigh
3. tommy tang
4. kah hoe
5. Trot
6. ashleyy (hopefully I shld be able to come ;p )

AncientMariner said:
I am interested but will not be able to make it this Wednesday.
Hopefully, there will be another gathering which I can join.

Hopefully the first gathering will be good, and will have further more to come.

WoLoh said:
Hi Happy CNY.. I'm a newbie in photography and would like to learn from the experts on slide photograhy.. Can I join in? Do I need to bring anything along? ;)

Hi, of course you may join. You might want to bring along your slides (if you shoot any) and share with us. Some of the more experience people may help you improving your shooting techniques.

For those who are coming, you might want to bring along some slides you shot so we can share the experience with different slide film. I have a rough agenda for this coming gathering:

1. Gather and Introduction
2. Eat dinner and chitchat
3. Viewing of slides shot (everyone try to bring 1 roll with lightbox if you can)
4. Discuss difficulty in using slides (give example) and how it may be improved
5. Discuss what they hope to see from a gather of this niche group (like MO stuff, organise outing, competition)
6. Discuss equipment, facilities and pricing

The last part may be pushed forward to the next gathering if it is taking too long for the day. I have to say this gathering is purely for hobbist and passionate people. I will also compile a list of contacts for those attending and interested in attending so as to facilitates making sure you will know what is happening (basically first hand information).

I know there are certainly much more experienced people shooting slides that are not in CS. I do not know if they are interested in joining the activities of this group. As I do not really know them at all, I hope some people who knows them or interact with them please do let them know and hope they can be mentors to those inexperience in certain techniques.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Christopher

1. theITguy
2. Taihigh
3. tommy tang
4. kah hoe
5. Trot
6. ashleyy (hopefully I shld be able to come )
7. SumBall (tentatively ok, TBC)

I've not tried slides b4 so need guidance & advice from the experts here.
Btw any of u guys shooting chingay? If yes, I would like to join in..
;)

1. theITguy
2. Taihigh
3. tommy tang
4. kah hoe
5. Trot
8. WoLoh

I think looking at slides on a lightbox is not ideal. Neither is trying to have a decent conversation in a food court, esp. PP food court. Previous SEEDs have had problems, as you know.

My projector is down for the moment, but my house isn't convenient because of kids. If someone could volunteer his house I could bring along a 6' screen for you guys to project the slides. Nothing beats a projected slide in a dark room.

Wai Leong
===

WoLoh said:
I've not tried slides b4 so need guidance & advice from the experts here.
Btw any of u guys shooting chingay? If yes, I would like to join in..
;)

1. theITguy
2. Taihigh
3. tommy tang
4. kah hoe
5. Trot
8. WoLoh

Hey!! Count me in too! I just came back from the UK and is also looking for a job too! It's great to see that there are still interests in shooting slides! Most of my slides are still in the process of being delivered to my house, with all the rest of my belongings from the UK! Hopefully I'll have some by then.

See you all soon!

Matthew Seeto

1. theITguy
2. Taihigh
3. tommy tang
4. kah hoe
5. Trot
8. WoLoh
9. chenchengcai (tentative, depend on workload, will bring only 1 or 2 slide)

Hi waileong,

I agree with you, view the slides on a projector really gives you a different feel. Thats why we have a gathering and get to know more people, see if we can gather a good place with equipment to organise such stuff/events. :)

1. theITguy
2. Taihigh
3. tommy tang
4. kah hoe
5. Trot
8. WoLoh
9. chenchengcai (tentative, depend on workload, will bring only 1 or 2 slide)
10. Seeto

Alamak !! Bro!!
on the 16 Feb !!

wasted. I can't make it as i'm flying soon :(

Join u next time :)

Where you flying? To USA? Might as well bring back some tins of Velvia and Provia for some of us :cool: Nah.... Just joking. Bring back some nice slide for the next session ;)

Question!! How do we know who to look for?? I'm sure there will be other customers there too! and we don't all know one another.... at least NOT YET...!

Do not worry, my picture (not that handsome....), my contact and my dresscode will be made known the night before the gathering. I will probably bring my Nova 3 AW with me too, or I just put my camera on the table, even easier ;)

Christopher

Status
Not open for further replies.