A Free Photography Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

shout199

Sep 4, 2008
Hi All,

Anyone interested or think that it is a good idea to have an open photography gallery/exhibition here in Singapore? There are art galleries but hardly any photography studios to get good photographs (home/commercial) use.

Are there any in singapore?? I have a shop house unit near outrum that has been renovated with a ground floor glass frontage. My office (advertising and design studio) is on the 2nd and 3rd floors and I am looking to do something on the ground floor for the community and forge friendships.

I don't intend to charge rent or anything but if you guys would like to display your works and possibly sell your photographs, it would be cool?? Really just something fun.

Any thoughts??

I am not a photographer but appreciate photography thus this idea!

M

Last edited:
wow i aprreciate your gesture..

im a noob but id love to drop by if this goes...

I definitely think that this is a great idea and its kind of you to suggest/ offer.

Perhaps just to start with, interested photographers can contact you for the space and that you can loan the space out to them for a fixed time?

The photographers exhibiting can post the details on CS?

I'm thinking of that actually, may have some featured contests or photographers that can use the area to showcase and or sell their photography works. So I guess not so much for wedding photographers etc.... but all the rest will fit in nicely!

There are many art galleries in singapore and no real photography galleries for affordable stuff that we can put in our homes etc??..... could be normal photos, lomo, b&w etc etc??

The walls are currently all white washed and I will just need to install gallery slider hooks and also lights..... the only other problem I see is that of staffing the place...... But nothing is impossible!

I've received some encouraging emails asking about the this idea.... so I am uploading some pics here. The location is quite good as the street has a few art/ID firms and some quaint retail/eating places and 5 min walk from MRT.

map.jpg

Building-Front.jpg

inside-2.jpg

inside-3.jpg

street-outside.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea, but what kind of 'standard' are you looking for? If you do set up I'll definitely pay a visit. Doubt my works will make it anyhow:bsmilie:

hi bro...
i think is good idea and im trying to print my picture for exhibition also...
if u dont mind than i can send my folio to u have a look.
anyway this is my e-mail...micky@weekhim.com
thanks...

Wonderful idea...best got small corner to chill out and encourage fellow photgrapher to chat and exchange pointer ...;)

wow. that's really generous of you. Kudos!! Wish there were more ppl willing to be so supportive of the photographic community. :)

I don't think there is a need for a professional standard. However I was thinking more towards it being a mix exhibition and also sale of prints that can be used by people to use as art pieces??..... There are lots of people hanging art on walls so why not some nice pics??

Anyone keen to work on this with me to set this up? Cos I am not very connected in the CS community..... we can just have a trial first.

Target October 2008!

I don't think there is a need for a professional standard. However I was thinking more towards it being a mix exhibition and also sale of prints that can be used by people to use as art pieces??..... There are lots of people hanging art on walls so why not some nice pics??

Anyone keen to work on this with me to set this up? Cos I am not very connected in the CS community..... we can just have a trial first.

Target October 2008!

Ah. Sales could be used to fund the place =)

Panda is the Company mascot.... haha.... no just something that was cute... that is how desperate I am to put things in that area!!

Ok so far everyone seems to like the idea. Anyone know of a similar place in Singapore (where people can go see/buy photography works) in singapore?...... Next thing is the selection of works to put at the gallery. Actually anything will do I guess but not your personal shots :)

great idea and a wonderful gesture!!!

I'm definately interested!! PLease do keep me in the loop! Thanks very much!

My opinions are:
1. Since there seems to be great interest in this - shout199 might want to consider forming a small sub-comm from the interested CSers to assist him to manage the project, otherwise he may get overwhelmed!
2. There should be a registration process for photographers to sign up and propose their works for display.
3. I am not sure, but perhaps the shout199/sub-comm may want to vet some of the works - and probably have some criteria (eg. public decency, quality standards, etc) before accepting works for display
4. There may be some time limit on the works being displayed - so that many others can get exposure, and there can always be fresh works on display for the public to view.
5. If all goes well, can even rope in the Tourist Board or other organisations (eg. Clubsnap, Camera manufacturers, other product manufaturers, etc) to put this up as one of attractions and get some funding for printing/display, sponsorship, contests, prizes, etc (Think big!!)

Just thinking aloud, and hoping to contribute to the success of this idea! :D

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

good idea. love it infact.

what you can do...

put up boards... place it around .. each person entitled to max20 pics ? a4 size and pics will be up max 2 weeks ? or 1 month ? up to you.

so many walls right .. split into sections.

nature, abstract, landscape, portraits etc

Status
Not open for further replies.