A Forgotten Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsw1rm

Nov 29, 2005
My focus is the dying tree. The background shows some developments going on. The picture tries to show that humans tend to forget the importance of nature.

How can I improve on the picture?

DSC_0249s.jpg

The idea is good. :)

But I think the color is not very attractive.
You may want to convert the picture to B&W or sepia to further enhance the effect and title.
Recommend the horizon to be level if you wanna include the landscape.

Strongly suggest you edit away the slanted lamp post away as I dont think it adds value to your title and its pretty distracting.

Hope these suggests help and are useful to u :)

cheers.

Bro, i think there's simply too much background items to make the tree standout. The clouds are also distracting... the tree kinda becomes. Lampost also at the wrong place...

You may want to try taking this picture at a nicer time like 6+ when the sun is setting and u have a nice orange sky... and pic an angle with lesser distracting background...

keep shooting!

maybe u can shoot from a different angle to do away with the lamppost, also i tink u can try shooting it on potrait mode, to emphasize more on the height of the tree as in tis pic the top of the tree is kena chopped off.

u wan to PP to slightly blur the background to make the tree outstanding. just my humble comments :)

overall i tink its a nice subject to shoot at

I think u cannot make a picture say something that is not there.

There is certainly no sense of "human forgetting" nor of the "importance of nature" in this pic.

I think an easier way to start - if you are a newbie - is to learn what a scene or a picture can say, and simply try to capture that, and see if people see the same message in your picture. If they do then you have successfully used your camera to capture a scene "message".

You need to learn a language's vocabulary before you can write an essay don't you think so? So there is a visual vocabulary to be learnt too.

And what your picture is telling me, amongst other things, is that nature is resilient, ie despite what man do, a tree can still survive. But then again I am not sure. I may be reading too much into it, as there are no details of the tree to let me know if it is indeed healthy and living or it is actually dying.

I think espion raised a very good point. I often see threads which comes with some awe-inspiring or world-dominating tagline. Which more often than not make things worse. If you put a very strong tagline or title, you need a VERY strong photograph.

If you see a good scene, find the important elements in it, like the tree, the sky, the grass. Put them together, find an angle and perspective to take it such that it is pleasant. Then if you wish, try to see what story it tells. In fact, photographs do not necessary need a story. Often just a short title (even one word!) is enough to do it justice or bring its meaning across to the viewer.

You definitely need a lot more experience and skill to be able to generate a story, and make the scene fit the story. I admit I am nowhere there either. So don't bother yourself first, take pleasant photographs and improve on the basics first.

Cheers =)

Some parts of the tree is cropped way... i think the effect would be better if u could take a few steps back... and ya take in the evening with setting sun as a backdrop... i think the forgotten effect would be better... and yes pls pp away the lamppost ;)

Thanks for all the comments and tips

I will keep trying. :D

I think u cannot make a picture say something that is not there.

There is certainly no sense of "human forgetting" nor of the "importance of nature" in this pic.

I think an easier way to start - if you are a newbie - is to learn what a scene or a picture can say, and simply try to capture that, and see if people see the same message in your picture. If they do then you have successfully used your camera to capture a scene "message".

You need to learn a language's vocabulary before you can write an essay don't you think so? So there is a visual vocabulary to be learnt too.

And what your picture is telling me, amongst other things, is that nature is resilient, ie despite what man do, a tree can still survive. But then again I am not sure. I may be reading too much into it, as there are no details of the tree to let me know if it is indeed healthy and living or it is actually dying.

i couldn't agree more with what epison has mentioned. often do i see long write ups and spectacular titles/taglines accompanying a photo, then being let down with a less than inspiring image. simply let the image do the talking.

tsw1rm - you might be new so just take this as constructive criticism when you display your work in forums such as this or even exhibitions in future. strong words won't and can't support a less than stunning image. as some others have already mentioned, the background is too cluttered to imply that the tree has been 'forgotten'. if you're going for that, make sure you isolate the tree, or subject in general coupled with negative space to really drive that the subject is forgotten or in isolation.

hey.
i agree that there are too many distractions in the pic, esp the lamp post on the right.
perhaps blurring the background even more would help bring out the tree more. also B/W might bring out the "forgotten" feeling more.

cheers:sweatsm:

i don't see how the photo conveys your idea (it's a good idea though). firstly, like many others have said, the photo doesn't focus on the tree. secondly, you should frame your photo correctly by moving further away from the tree. thirdly, you should convert your photo to Black & White to focus on the tree even more. another thing is that the photo is somewhat blurry. next time, you should use the focus properly. you can also turn the tree into a sillhoutte.

Hi there
May I suggest a little ATD - attention to detail?

Remove clutter - classic problem, something a little re-arrangement or change in shooting position can cure

Depth of field - the background is still in pretty clear focus.

Color - its not bright or colorful enough nor grim and B/W enough

If I may show a shot here:

Lonely tree Arches National Park:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/petetherock/onetreeoncanyonssm-1.jpg

Cheers

Aw it aint that bad. Try going to Labrador park, lotsa dead trees with sunset, etc. Darn emo, go practice over there.

The sky doesn't look good because the clouds are just too dark and thick. Maybe it just wasn't good day for shooting.
Also, the background seems more well exposed than your tree, it's very weird, and it takes the away my attention.

Happy shooting ;p

would be better if you can get a few steps back on a different composition without those distracting building background. it doesnt make it feel lonely.

Nice idea but I think a black & white shot would have better suited the picture. The lamp post is quite a distraction and you could have stood further back so as not to crop the top of the tree away.

a lil too dark bro, and too lil dof

I agree with the previous comment on taking the photo near dawn or dusk. maybe from another angle where there is less distractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.