A few hours in Jurong Bird Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluestrike

Jan 17, 2002
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
spent the morning and early afternoon in the park looking for things to shoot..........

and the result
aaa.jpg

LOL Toucan!

aac.jpg

I can't recall the name of this great Bird of Prey!

aae.jpg

Find this new.... it at the main entrance of JBP.

That all folks.......
Comments are very welcome!

Just me...

I think you have cropped too much. Would like to see more of the body of the birds.

Hehehe.... thanks all for the commments
As for Kho King, I do agree but there is a limiation of space at that time I was taking the shot so.... I have to take it... now or never!

*You know birds... they never keep still*

nice shots

my opinion
1st pic - crop away some part of right side
2nd pic - crop away some part of the top part

I don't quite agree with some of the opinions posted, anyway, here are my thoughts:

1st photo
- Too much flash here, all the details in the highlights are blown with the harsh flash lighting.
- Compositionally, as it appears that you are attempting to fill the Toucan in the frame, I would suggest that you fill up the empty space above its head by shifting the frame down a little more.
- A little more dof to get that front of the beak in focus would be nice or shift a bit more to the right side to achieve the same effect.
- Overall a well captured moment, nicely done. :thumbsup:

2nd photo
- Again, too much space at the top.
- With the head of the bird turned to the left, the photo could be made more interesting to the viewer if you had placed it at the right side (and if possible, capture what has its attention on the left side).
- Some blown highlight areas when the sunlight "hits" directly but IMHO a decent trade-off for a properly exposed "face".

3rd photo
- Looks like you managed to get the exposure right and retained all the details of the feathers (especially the white portions). But personally, I would have preferred a touch more to brighten up the image.
- With the eveness of color in most part of the background, a sudden "chunk" of green (or any other contrasting color) makes for a "rude interruption" to me. To put it in another way, when I first looked at the image, I was enjoying the smoothness of the nicely blurred background from the left to right side until the green portion jolted me.

Originally posted by Edmund
I don't quite agree with some of the opinions posted, anyway, here are my thoughts:

1st photo
- Too much flash here, all the details in the highlights are blown with the harsh flash lighting.
- Compositionally, as it appears that you are attempting to fill the Toucan in the frame, I would suggest that you fill up the empty space above its head by shifting the frame down a little more.
- A little more dof to get that front of the beak in focus would be nice or shift a bit more to the right side to achieve the same effect.
- Overall a well captured moment, nicely done. :thumbsup:

2nd photo
- Again, too much space at the top.
- With the head of the bird turned to the left, the photo could be made more interesting to the viewer if you had placed it at the right side (and if possible, capture what has its attention on the left side).
- Some blown highlight areas when the sunlight "hits" directly but IMHO a decent trade-off for a properly exposed "face".

3rd photo
- Looks like you managed to get the exposure right and retained all the details of the feathers (especially the white portions). But personally, I would have preferred a touch more to brighten up the image.
- With the eveness of color in most part of the background, a sudden "chunk" of green (or any other contrasting color) makes for a "rude interruption" to me. To put it in another way, when I first looked at the image, I was enjoying the smoothness of the nicely blurred background from the left to right side until the green portion jolted me.

1st Pic
Agreed with you on the thingie sbt the space. I had wanted it that way too but I had to take the shot. The Toucan was closing the mouth and I wanted to capture it that way. Anyway, I was still trying to get the hang of the D30. After all, That was the 1st time I use partial-meter. I don't know if the EOS 300 has that mode in manual, so must of the time, it was evaluative mode all the way.

2nd Pic
From where I was sitting, that was the best that I could do w/o having many heads into the picture (we were sitting behind some visitors). Ironically, I was trying to capture the bird as it was looking to the right. But that moment came so I shifted a bit to the left and snap..... Shld have gone a bit more.....

3rd Pic
Just to show that there is a new bird in the main entrance so never bother abt lot of things.... hehhehehhehheh

Thanks ET for the input....

I'll be back!

Status
Not open for further replies.