Status
Not open for further replies.

starry

Mar 24, 2004
www.walrusblog.com
Dear all,

Please take a look at our fellow Singaporean: Wu Xiao Kang's Photography work:

http://adoseoflight.com/overdose/xiaokang.html

and please allow his works to be exhibited in Singapore by signing this petition at:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/wuxiaokang

An excerpt from the writeup:

For a moment, the collective felt proud to be Singaporeans in a foreign land. Everyone wanted to know more about Singapore and asked ," Who is wu xiao kang? " It was listed as " haunting " by the Daily Magazine, a blog by the Saatchi Gallery in London.

About min. 500 signatures are needed to make his works come to Singapore where his homeland was. Hence, please help spread this message around and get them to sign. Thanks.

Also visit the following site to learn more:

http://www.giftoflistening.com/

Best regards.

Wu Xiao Kang, though Singaporean, has never been shown in Singapore before, and it is not without its reasons. The collective has been turned down several times in their proposal to show Wu Xiao Kang's work. Disappointed and at the verge of giving up, the collective stopped pushing his work in mid 2006. One of the most disturbing comment we had from a Singapore curator was , which the collective still remembers by word , " he is such a loser ". Thus the collective made up their mind that Singapore would never be ready to see his work.

What the ****? Who was the curator?

Hello. Starry. Do you by any chance know the people from Doseoflight?

I have been intrigued for a long time by this particular collection of photos. But the displayed works seem a little too perfect for slides. There are some very obvious signs of image manipulation, which brings the question of whether the whole background and story of this collection of works is authentic or not.

I have heard about this 36 images from a roll of film through a friend and have never seen it until the start of this thread.

Heard from her also that there was the debate of whether these photos were manipulated but it was insisted that they were developed as they were. And that the inconsistency of the last few shots was because it was taken as the creator committed suicide. :dunno:

Kind of eerie.

Well... lets just say certain elements on the slides just don't hang together. View the gallery one by one so that you can take a longer time examining each.

No doubt the overall feel and theme is very nice. But is there a need for this story....?

Perhaps that is the reason why these works have been refused for exhibition? :dunno:

His photos give me the goosebumps man...

Some parts of the photos are mirrored - the symmetry is too perfect that it's spooky.

Shot on slide film eh??? Hoax or not, the story and the photo goes well together.

His photos give me the goosebumps man...

Some parts of the photos are mirrored - the symmetry is too perfect that it's spooky.

Shot on slide film eh??? Hoax or not, the story and the photo goes well together.

In one of the images, the shadow is also inconsistent with the lighting. Good try.. try harder next time.. :) I think probably everyone else in the website is schizophrenic.

At first I believed that it might be authentic but tree branches being perfectly symmetrical at the 2 corners of one of the image was the last straw. Then I started digging for other tell tale signs.

...but tree branches being perfectly symmetrical at the 2 corners of one of the image was the last straw...
Indeed you're right. Just too much BS for 2 naturally occuring branches from two different trees to have the exact shape and size. Just did a image flip myself to ascertain. :bsmilie: Eagle eyed indeed. :thumbsup:

Indeed you're right. Just too much BS for 2 naturally occuring branches from two different trees to have the exact shape and size. Just did a image flip myself to ascertain. :bsmilie: Eagle eyed indeed. :thumbsup:

And one of the image with the 2 electrical outlet on the wall, the shadow of the pipe was taken care of but the shadow of the little box was in opposite directions, one of the contradicting the shadow from the window grille.

Dunno... I still find it believable... especially given he supposedly took 2 years worth of "practice" rolls of the same images before making this final one.:dunno:

Dunno... I still find it believable... especially given he supposedly took 2 years worth of "practice" rolls of the same images before making this final one.:dunno:

That's just a story to make it believeable. I was almost taken in until I say the tree branches being identically symmetrical!! Nature doesn't happen this way no matter it's 10 years or 100 years!

Plus some other Physics defying details like the shadows I mentioned.. It could not have been shot using slide film. Definitely digitally manipulated.

Nevertheless, the concept behind the series is very well thought of and projecting the artist's intentions for the photos to be haunting to the audiences. Nice pictures/story.

I actually didn't bother seeing the gallery when I first saw this thread, casue I am not a fan of signing petitions... Read further that there is some suspected manipulation, then I looked at the shots myself.

Those branches are way too symmetrical and I also see the problem with the boxes. Still, hoax or not (thats why I don't like such petitions) the shots are, I would say quite good, though straight from the roll I doubt that the all shots could have been so picture perfect.

Very elaborate hoax. Notice how the petition provides no links to sources?

A quick search on google for "Wu Xiao Kang" turned up nothing. Yet he petition proudly states "Wu Xiao Kang has been exhibited in several places all over the globe and most recently in London."

Wouldn't there at least be some reputable sources to back this up if it were true? There are none, therefore it's a hoax.

Hrrmmm, I wonder what'll turn up if it really receives 500 signatures? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.