A DSLR Or SLR For Newbies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eloera

Nov 18, 2006
yewtee.
e-epiphany.blogspot.com
hello all.
i am really interested in photography , and have been snapping on my old dowdy digital cam for a really long time now.
i am thinking of getting a new equipment .

but i am torn between a slr and a dslr.
which wld you guys recommend for a amatuer?
and what are the features and important things i gotta look out for!
and what are the models that 's good for starters like me! budget < $1400

please please help me! :embrass: i am as confused as can be!

slr for a newbie?? i don't think its feasible...

go digital as u can have an instant preview of your shots and learn from ur mistakes as u play around with the settings. moreover the costs of processing film in digital is omitted.

for a budget of less than $1400 i would recommend u to get either a 1st hand 400d body or 2nd hand 20d :thumbsup:

i think u should get a 350D body and some good glass.

for $1400 u can get a second hand 350D or D70/s body and a sigma 24-70 f2.8 with 1gb of memory...plenty to get you started in photography

i think u wait abt a 1month or 2, and get the Nikon D40 DSLR (which is coming out soon)

it should cost arnd $900 and with the remaining $500, u can get a SB400 flash, which cost arnd $250, and get a battery charger with batts for arnd $50. Then get nikon 50mm f1.8 lens for $180

total should be $1380 :) just nice

i think u wait abt a 1month or 2, and get the Nikon D40 DSLR (which is coming out soon)

it should cost arnd $900 and with the remaining $500, u can get a SB400 flash, which cost arnd $250, and get a battery charger with batts for arnd $50. Then get nikon 50mm f1.8 lens for $180

total should be $1380 :) just nice

why get 50mm f1.8 when its a MF lens...

hmmm thank you all for all the help here! ;)

correct me if i am wrong. but would a af lens be more suitable for amateurs?

hmm what exactly are the differences between the two?
i mean i went to research online.and it doesnt really talk abt the effects they have on the pics? they were focusing on the technicalities and the ease of using the two?

oh dear. it seems that i am really clueless abt everything here! hmmm heh. i just want some first hand experience and info from you guys! :D

hello all.
i am really interested in photography , and have been snapping on my old dowdy digital cam for a really long time now.
i am thinking of getting a new equipment .

but i am torn between a slr and a dslr.
which wld you guys recommend for a amatuer?
and what are the features and important things i gotta look out for!
and what are the models that 's good for starters like me! budget < $1400

please please help me! :embrass: i am as confused as can be!

DSLR

borrow/buy photography books / magazines

visit photography websites like www.photo.net

there's no substitution to hard work.

thank you! i will go take a look! of course i still gotta do my own research but i will need recommendation sites and from all you guys!

Check out the current fav models for beginners from this forum as well as other online sites. Then do some reviews on those which may have caught your attention. Do also consider the D50, it may be slightly older, but it is better in the sense that it can still use all other AF or AF-D lenses.

D40 can ony take AF-S lens... thus AF-D will become a MF lens instead....

I see, my bad!

Anyway, I think TS has to evaluate how far he wants to go in photography. To what level? If to a serious amateur level then he might just want to invest in a more intermediate camera, perhaps a 2nd hand D70s/D50. No point getting a very basic DSLR only to upgrade within a few months!

For $1500, you should be able to get:

Brand new D50 with kit lens $1170

2nd hand SB 600 $300(?)

Or if you want better lenses then just buy a 2nd hand body from B&S!

I quoted all Nikon models because I'm not familiar with other brands! Like what they all say, go try all the brands and see which one you like (feel, handling, photo output).

I see, my bad!

Anyway, I think TS has to evaluate how far he wants to go in photography. To what level? If to a serious amateur level then he might just want to invest in a more intermediate camera, perhaps a 2nd hand D70s/D50. No point getting a very basic DSLR only to upgrade within a few months!

For $1500, you should be able to get:

Brand new D50 with kit lens $1170

2nd hand SB 600 $300(?)

Or if you want better lenses then just buy a 2nd hand body from B&S!

I quoted all Nikon models because I'm not familiar with other brands! Like what they all say, go try all the brands and see which one you like (feel, handling, photo output).

what is considered a basic dslr?
i am considering a d40? but from all the reviews i read, it seems like lol. it's more suitable for experienced and professionals. it's like puttin a lorry driver in a f1 car?

hmm is it important to get a camera that's versatile enough to switch between the mf, af and afd lenses?

i am considering a d40? but from all the reviews i read, it seems like lol. it's more suitable for experienced and professionals. it's like puttin a lorry driver in a f1 car?

hmm is it important to get a camera that's versatile enough to switch between the mf, af and afd lenses?

Basic DSLR is one which has the common functions of a DSLR, e.g. shutter control, aperture control, EV control, able to change lenses, metering in a few modes (e.g. matrix, centre weight and spot)

And getting a camera which can use more lenses is always an advantage, but do remember that the older MF lenses may not work well with some of the DSLRs as you lose metering capabilities.

Read more and digest the info slowly.

eh must be kidding, d40 for professional/experienced? it is the most basic out of basic dSLR one can get in the market(new) already...

hahaha then maybe i guess those reviews were exaggerating? so wld d40 be good enough? :D

Yup... for someone to get the hang of a DSLR system why not?

lol.

hmm i just went online and looked through some info on AFS and AFD lens?

AFS LENS IS MASSIVE! and surely everything's going to be damn heavy when it's fixed on to the cam?

okaye. i have pretty small hands and i am quite petite too.
but all that hoohaa abt the AFS lens is just so tempting for me!it's going to burn a hole in the wallet and by the end of the month i am quite sure that i am going to have biceps that will put any guy to shame lar!

is af s lense really that good? hmmmm i can just settle on a af d lens too without compromising the ease of usage and photo quality right!

:angel:

lol.

hmm i just went online and looked through some info on AFS and AFD lens?

AFS LENS IS MASSIVE! and surely everything's going to be damn heavy when it's fixed on to the cam?

okaye. i have pretty small hands and i am quite petite too.
but all that hoohaa abt the AFS lens is just so tempting for me!it's going to burn a hole in the wallet and by the end of the month i am quite sure that i am going to have biceps that will put any guy to shame lar!

is af s lense really that good? hmmmm i can just settle on a af d lens too without compromising the ease of usage and photo quality right!

:angel:

Wait a min.. AF-S does not equate to HEAVY lenses.

the 18-55 kit lens is AF-S, so are the kit lenses for D50, D70 and D80 (18-55, 18-70 and 18-135 respectively) There is another superzoom of 18-200 and it's also AF-S.... so dun keep your eyes closed to these lenses. When you are looking for better picture quality and want better lenses, there's always the 17-35, 17-55, 28-70, 70-200 (f2.8 lenses)

Status
Not open for further replies.