A 'drying' solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skaven

Hi,

I've been keeping my slides/negs in a very large zip-lock bag (Space bag from TV innovations). Inside the zip-lock bag I stuff a sock with some silica gels. I change the slilica gels not on a regular basis, but often enough.

It's been a year and no harm has been done.; or not that I can perceive. Should I get a dry box instead? The humidity level is unpredictable in the zip-lock bag, that is why I thought it might be a good idea to get a dry box.

Is the running cost of a 50L dry box high? I went around a few stores to look at the back of the dry boxes to spot the wattage so as to compute the cost, but so far, none of them displays it.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Originally posted by ckiang
Don't worry, electric dryboxes (dehumidifiers) consume neglegible power.

Regards
CK

that's rite...cos it will not consume any power at all once the humidity is low enough

Originally posted by skaven
Hi,

I've been keeping my slides/negs in a very large zip-lock bag (Space bag from TV innovations). Inside the zip-lock bag I stuff a sock with some silica gels. I change the slilica gels not on a regular basis, but often enough.

It's been a year and no harm has been done.; or not that I can perceive. Should I get a dry box instead? The humidity level is unpredictable in the zip-lock bag, that is why I thought it might be a good idea to get a dry box.

Is the running cost of a 50L dry box high? I went around a few stores to look at the back of the dry boxes to spot the wattage so as to compute the cost, but so far, none of them displays it.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Go get one soon; not just for your slides but also for your equipment...it's worth it! ;)

I heard that the humidity cannot be too low (must be min 35-40%), else your films may warp, have colour shifts, etc. Meaning that they spoil.

make sure you buy one size bigger than what you require.

Believe me, you will start storing anything and everything inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.