A dream too big!

dckk84

Dec 6, 2010
Hi guys, wonder if getting a 7D is a dream too big for a newcomer to DSLR? I do not have the capabilities and skills to take good pictures. With the reviews I got from the net, I came to realise that 60D is not worthy of the price tag it is carrying and I am at the cross road on whether to save even more money for 7D or settle with the disappointing 60D. Do give me your opinions and comments about what steps and how I should go about. Thanks for all the help fellow clubsnappers :)

Hi guys, wonder if getting a 7D is a dream too big for a newcomer to DSLR? I do not have the capabilities and skills to take good pictures. With the reviews I got from the net, I came to realise that 60D is not worthy of the price tag it is carrying and I am at the cross road on whether to save even more money for 7D or settle with the disappointing 60D. Do give me your opinions and comments about what steps and how I should go about. Thanks for all the help fellow clubsnappers :)

(No offence to 60D users, I merely read some reviews off from the internet and meant NO HARM. Please forgive me if there is something that I said and offended you, I do apologise)

Personally, I think that if you're really serious in photography and willing to learn how to use it properly, a 7D is good camera to start off if there's no budget issue.

May I know base on what grounds that you label 60D a disappointing camera?:dunno:

Maybe you should also start with what you are most interested in shooting and why you say that the 7D is your more preferred choice?

Then, you should go down to any camera shop and have a feel of the camera before picking. You must feel comfortable holding the camera as everyone has different hands ;)

I too got the 7D as my first cam, at that time it was either the 50D or the 7D, and decided to get the 7D. I really studied the 7D, I even downloaded a soft copy of the manual and read it fully a month before my actual purchase LoL. I'd say you get what you pay for with the 7D. I dont have the skills either hehe but I'll just do my best to learn.

7D is not a dream, heck I've seen someone here who got a 1Dmk4 for his 1st dslr. It's all about your budget, if you have to save for a month or so to afford the 7D, then it shouldn't be a big deal. But if it will take you several months, then I guess you have to re-think about it. If the latter is the case, I suggest get a 550D/60D and a good lens. One thing I learned, is that a good lens really counts. I'd prefer a 550D/60D with a 17-55f2.8 IS than 7D with an 18-135.

Too cut my blabbering short, I suggest get whatever body you can afford but dont forget to get a good lens. :)

60D disappointing?
Perhaps to fanboys or those with deep pockets :D
Its a very good camera for its price point. Big deal to the non-metal body unless the user endeavors to put his camera in the way of physical harm/abuse at every opportunity.

Yes, it could be better, but then Canon already has the solution for that in the 7D :bsmilie:

The camera is not the limiting factor at this point for you. A 550D using the same sensor will serve you very well if you are intent on getting a Canon camera.
Otherwise, many other brands offer as good performance/features, and some are even cheaper.

Hi Chili,

I got the impression that 7D is better than 60D mainly on the specs like the 100% viewfinder, the faster fps, the lens micro, and the better feel that major reviews have mentioned. Originally, I had 60D in mind as the 1st camera that I will be purchasing, but after the bad reviews started surfacing up, I do have many doubts. In my case, I am actually willing to spend another couple of months to save for the 7D if it is really true that it is much better than 60D and actually worthy of it's hefty price tag.

I saw many forum members saying that they will not buy the 60D and a poll was acutally done. My judgment is that, 60D is actually ok, but not much of an upgrade as compared to the predecessor "50D". Which makes selection of the ideal camera for me even tougher. Hence I decided to post a thread and ask help from brothers and sisters put here to guide me.

Thanks to all the tips and guidances!

just get the one that u believe will not give u any regrets, even if it means having to wait and save up for a few more months....

saving up for a good one is better than settling for one, and then selling it off at a loss a few months later to get the one that u actually wanted.

the best is to really really really go down to canon's showroom at vivo city and play around with the 60D and 7D, to go and find out for urself whether wat the reviews say are true.

for example, they say that 7D is more well built and grips better, go and take the 7D and grip for urself to see if 7D really grips better in ur hands. Some ppl with smaller hands might find 60D better. Also, they say that the high iso performance of 70D is better. Go and use the 60D and see for urself whether is the high iso of 60D really bad? Some ppl say that the 60D's flip out lcd screen is flimsy, go and try out for urself to see whether the built of the flip out screen is acceptable for you. some say that the fps shooting speed of 60D is slow, go and try out the fps shooting speed of 60D and see for urself whether its acceptable to you.

try watever u can and watever u wan at the canon showroom before making a purchase decision.... the showroom ppl wont chase u away, dun worry.

Last edited:
my thought on this is simple. If you can afford, go for it.
If you are worried that your skills can't "match" the camera, use that as a drive to work hard to improve. Buying a brand new camera should be a happy occasion....;)

Hi Devilry,

Thank you for letting me know that I can actually go down to vivocity and get my hands on the cameras and to actually try and see what I can do with them =) Look forward to own the 7D one day and then I can actually use the camera for photo taking and to capture the things that I see and have them as part of my memories.

Hi Chili,

I got the impression that 7D is better than 60D mainly on the specs like the 100% viewfinder, the faster fps, the lens micro, and the better feel that major reviews have mentioned.

100% viewfinder - How can anyone get effected because of that less 4% of viewfinder coverage?

Faster fps - I doubt you need that 8 fps . 5fps is probably more than enough

Lens micro - Benefits mostly those with many lenses.

Get a second hand 500D, shoot until you are confident that you won't pull out from this hobby anytime soon, then sell it off around the same price as you bought and get the 7D or maybe the 8D (by then).

Last edited:
I got the impression that 7D is better than 60D mainly on the specs like the 100% viewfinder, the faster fps, the lens micro, and the better feel that major reviews have mentioned. Originally, I had 60D in mind as the 1st camera that I will be purchasing, but after the bad reviews started surfacing up, I do have many doubts.

"Better" is subjective. I've used the 7D and like it a lot, but I would prefer the 60D -- a smaller, lighter body and the swivel screen are things I find useful and practical. It's a personal preference. Of course the 7D has a higher spec in most departments -- it is the more expensive of the two, and placed higher up in Canon's hierarchy. The 60D is not really a 50D successor, more of a new category in Canon's line-up.
No offense intended, but if you're new to DSLRs, you probably have little idea what features you can live with and without.
Does the 7D take better photos than the 60D? Of course not. That's really down to the photographer. BTW not sure what the 'bad reviews' you are referring to are - the reviews I've seen are positive. And bear in mind that tech review sites have to emphasise the minute differences between different cameras.
That said, there's nothing wrong with starting with a 7D, or a 1DMk4 if you want - it's your money to spend. But if you have to scrimp and save for it, I'd suggest going for something that doesn't blow your budget, perhaps even used gear. You'll find yourself spending more after your initial purchase -- filters, dry box, bag, tripod accessories etc. It adds up fast!

Last edited:
Hi Ismokeweed,

Haha, am not keen on the buying and selling part. Shall get the 7D and then I will carry on from there. I am like a blank piece of paper and I am glad that I do not have to deal with the different configuration layout of different cameras out in the market, I will learn to handle 7D and then I wont have much to compare and again adapt to the config layout =) Thanks to all the suggestions all clubsnappers
out there!!!

cut all the talking here and get started with your 7D.

if your budget allows, i dont see a reason why you should not go for it. BBB!

Hi dckk84,

It looks like you did a lot of reading up on the 7D and the 60D. I was in a similar situation as you just two months back but my options were between the 7D, 50D and Nikon D300s. Since I was new, I did not have any lens collection so was not limited to one or another.

Of course in terms of specs, the 7D and D300s were one step up from the 50D but in the end, it was the handling of the bodies and ergonomics that ultimately swayed my decision to the 7D. Therefore like what devilry said, its best to go try out the different bodies before making any decisions since you might be surprised at what feels comfortable and not.

Seeing the IQ difference at some websites between the 60D and 7D, I doubt you can tell the difference, however, the feel/weight of the body will impact you the most when shooting. :)

Matt

Last edited:
Hi dckk84,

It looks like you did a lot of reading up on the 7D and the 60D. I was in a similar situation as you just two months back but my options were between the 7D, 50D and Nikon D300s. Since I was new, I did not have any lens collection so was limited to one or another.

Of course in terms of specs, the 7D and D300s were one step up from the 50D but in the end, it was the handling of the bodies and ergonomics that ultimately swayed my decision to the 7D. Therefore like what devilry said, its best to go try out the different bodies before making any decisions since you might be surprised at what feels comfortable and not.

Seeing the IQ difference at some websites between the 60D and 7D, I doubt you can tell the difference, however, the feel/weight of the body will impact you the most when shooting. :)

Matt
for me, when i look through the 7D's 100% VF, i knew i had to get it. was considering 50D as well but i decided to take the plunge and get the 7D.

for me, when i look through the 7D's 100% VF, i knew i had to get it. was considering 50D as well but i decided to take the plunge and get the 7D.

We all have different reasons, for me, the moment I held it in my hands, I knew it was the one. ;) Love at first hold? ;p

Here is a little story of mine:

I'm into audio as well, so i started out on a single driver earphone, which i thot was good. Until i listened to one that had dual drivers. So i sold off my single driver earphone and bought a dual driver one. Subsequently i sold off the dual drivers and got a triple driver earphone, which is my final one.

Moral of the story is: if u get easily infected by the BBB virus, like me,:embrass: jus go for the best one (imo 7D is a sort of dream for apsc fans). it saves u the cost of upgrading, and i believe the 7D will last u long enough, mayb 4 years? and probably satisfy all ur wants as well, since it really is a very good camera. definitely its better than the 60D. So i guess my advice is, get the 7D, and spend the rest of the time learning on how to make full use of it:) u definitely won't regret it!

Hi Edwin,

Perhaps I have been reading too much reviews between D7000 & 60D & 7D and not solely on 60D itself.

Hi to all,

I guess I will go down to vivo this weekend and take a good look at 7D and decide if I like the "feel" and do I actually like the camera itself. Still one of the main reason is that I want to have a camera such as 7D and not to feel compelled to upgrade everytime another new camera comes out and I believe that 7D has at least a few good years of usage before it becomes "outdated" or "obsolete".

Hi Chili,

I got the impression that 7D is better than 60D mainly on the specs like the 100% viewfinder, the faster fps, the lens micro, and the better feel that major reviews have mentioned. Originally, I had 60D in mind as the 1st camera that I will be purchasing, but after the bad reviews started surfacing up, I do have many doubts. In my case, I am actually willing to spend another couple of months to save for the 7D if it is really true that it is much better than 60D and actually worthy of it's hefty price tag.

I saw many forum members saying that they will not buy the 60D and a poll was acutally done. My judgment is that, 60D is actually ok, but not much of an upgrade as compared to the predecessor "50D". Which makes selection of the ideal camera for me even tougher. Hence I decided to post a thread and ask help from brothers and sisters put here to guide me.

Thanks to all the tips and guidances!

I see... So you felt that 60D is a kinda dissapointing after comparing with 7D..

Personally, since you already had the intention to save up more to get a 7D, I think go ahead. Getting a 7D over a 60D cannot be wrong.;)