A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Has anyone noticed a decline in the number of new threads started in the Portraits subforum? Previously, there used to be a lot of threads created with new photos from various people. Each time a group shoot ended, you can see a number of new threads started per shoot - along with other non-group shoot threads independently done.

Nowadays, though the number of group shoots has not declined, the number of threads certainly has.

I wonder if potential posters have been "scared" off from posting their shots for fear of having negative comments thrown their way - perhaps their past experiences has taught them to keep to themselves instead.

What i believe is the quality of the comments been delivered so far. usually its just, swee, awful, why nv do this, why got things sticking out of the pics, nv a real constructive comment.

Has anyone noticed a decline in the number of new threads started in the Portraits subforum? Previously, there used to be a lot of threads created with new photos from various people. Each time a group shoot ended, you can see a number of new threads started per shoot - along with other non-group shoot threads independently done.
I don't think it's just P&P.

Just my two cents worth.

This thread is not about the quality of comments given. It is about the declining NUMBER of threads posted in the subforum.

I doubt that superficial comments such as "swee", which are positive, would cause a potential poster to refrain from posting again.

What i believe is the quality of the comments been delivered so far. usually its just, swee, awful, why nv do this, why got things sticking out of the pics, nv a real constructive comment.

I doubt that superficial comments such as "swee", which are positive, would cause a potential poster to refrain from posting again.

Actually vince, it would.

Well, at least to the people who are serious about improving and not just getting their ego boosted in the morning, shrug. I know of people who have griped that they are not getting the critique which they are really looking for here sometimes, only just superficial comments, so there is no point posting up photos here. If one wants to feel that he has impressed somebody, just show the photos to most laymen and they'd be wowed already by the fact that you're using something other than a consumer camera to take the photos, let alone even bother to look to see if the photos are decently taken.

Just not bothered to post :bsmilie:

Perhaps so, but I think that flaming comments would cause more people to run away than simple comments like "swee". A large number of your average joe posters in the Portraits subforum are just posting to share their pictures, rather than very very serious critique, so much so that they will run away because there's no critique.

Serious critiques are intended to be in the critique's corner.

Of course, this is just but my personal view.

Actually vince, it would.

Well, at least to the people who are serious about improving and not just getting their ego boosted in the morning, shrug. I know of people who have griped that they are not getting the critique which they are really looking for here sometimes, only just superficial comments, so there is no point posting up photos here. If one wants to feel that he has impressed somebody, just show the photos to most laymen and they'd be wowed already by the fact that you're using something other than a consumer camera to take the photos, let alone even bother to look to see if the photos are decently taken.

Perhaps so, but I think that flaming comments would cause more people to run away than simple comments like "swee". A large number of your average joe posters in the Portraits subforum are just posting to share their pictures, rather than very very serious critique, so much so that they will run away because there's no critique.

Serious critiques are intended to be in the critique's corner.

Of course, this is just but my personal view.

could also they decided it not to post as it not worth getting their butts kicked after paying SGD$35-80 for a shooting session......for those who enjoyed getting their butt kicked there a term for such special group of people ....:embrass:

and dude, if you ve noticed .... the sub-forum has gone into 'quantity' instead of 'quality' :sweat:

It's hardly the same anymore ...... of cos, there are still less than a handful who are putting more thots into their shoots .... and 'less' is good too except for one :devil:

That was exactly the point I was wondering, has all the flaming comments deterred posts.

could also they decided it not to post as it not worth getting their butts kicked after paying SGD$35-80 for a shooting session......for those who enjoyed getting their butt kicked there a term for such special group of people ....:embrass:

Actually, my personal view is that for a photo forum, having some threads with not so good photos posted is better than having no threads at all.

and dude, if you ve noticed .... the sub-forum has gone into 'quantity' instead of 'quality' :sweat:

It's hardly the same anymore ...... of cos, there are still less than a handful who are putting more thots into their shoots .... and 'less' is good too except for one :devil:

Clubsnap is like a fountain of pleasure. Drink from it and grow out of it.

Too much leeching going on... Post your pic and get leeched!

As a shoot organiser, it is a sad thing to note of such a reduction in posting of photograph's works, particularly those taken during photoshoot sessions. We have to underscore to everyone the knowledge that the portrait section is not only meant for posting of photographs to solicit feedback and comments (good or bad or unkind ones), but also a channel to share some photographs simply for the purpose of sharing. On this note, I share the same view as Vinc123123.

Normally after a shoot, many participating photographers would rather share their photos with me via email/pm instead of posting at cs. As such, the issue is not the photographers themselves refusing to show other his works for comments and appreciation, but simply that they are not willingly to post up on cs anymore as the TS has mentioned. And this perhaps has to do with the perceived atmosphere/culture. In the words of ernest_ted, its really how the comments are delivered, not the nature of the comment. Friendliness begets openess, but hostility shuts the heart.

i think pple need to realise that if they are posting becos they expect critique, and not get any (or not get "proper" critiques) then they should also know that it's not an entitlement.

sure, we can all help each other grow, but if it does NOT happen, it's not something u should be unhappy about and discount the forum to say comments are useless here and hence not post, and hence the decline in threads in this forum.

on the other hand, i also do attend shoots and show my kakis the shot on the camera LCD and we'd joke about how "eh i think if post on CS they sure say why bg overexpose, why hair messy, and why my lens cap is on!!!" and have a GREAT laugh about it!

there's no doubt as to what CS is like. what i'd like to remind pple is that, dun blame it if it's not going down your throat the right way.

i've posted quite a few comments regarding critiques and why i try not to do it anymore, so i won't repeat myself here.

all the above is ASSUMING the decline in threads is due to comments being less that satisfactory making pple not bother to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.