A day in the Botanic Garden

ch4ngs7er

Jun 19, 2010
Sengkang
4723802229_47647f1f9e_b.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

I would like feedbacks on the impression that this picture gives to the audience i.e angle of shooting, timing of shooting, colors or any elements affecting the overall quality and presentation of the picture etc.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

In this artwork, i hope to achieve the natural reactions of the wildlife animals i.e chasing each other, feeding on food, flapping of wings, soaring in the sky etc.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?

Upon seeing the swans in the lake, the first impression they gave me is that they are beautiful. Camped at an angle for a long time before getting this chance to shoot the swan flapping the wings as if it's taking off. The main focus is on the swan outstanding in the blurred background.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?

Personally, i felt that this picture gives me a feeling of the swan trying to avoid any incoming danger i.e suffering a shock from external factors, thus showing anger and flapping it's wings trying to take off.

Last edited:
I think the pond is too dirty, needs a lot of tidying up using software. Let's see what others have got to say...

find the dead leaves kind destroy the image too..

The tiny pink stuffs on the left, probably you can crop it away...as a viewer, I feel lacking not to see the face of the swan:)

I don't want to comment on the condition of the pond water, because that's not what the photographer can control at that moment.

However, I think it would be better to shoot head on and show the face of the swan. Also, the right side can be cropped away to remove the dangling thing.

with the water looking not very pleasant, maybe converting to black and white will be good...
abit over expose at the lower part of the swan... would be better if the swan wing are spread out more, but of coz that is a moment that don't occur easily

with the water looking not very pleasant, maybe converting to black and white will be good...
abit over expose at the lower part of the swan... would be better if the swan wing are spread out more, but of coz that is a moment that don't occur easily

I too feel Bnw is a better idea to deal with the water...

Thks for all the comments.

I was initially at an angle whereby the swan was facing towards me. But suddenly the swan suffered shock, back faced me and flap the wings. :sweat:

Hmmm so BnW would be better for this case. I'll do it and see the effect.
Any other comments like the sharpness etc? I too feel that at the right side butt water level of the swan is a bit too exposed. Any way i can edit it? Apologies as i'm a newbie shooter.

I visit Botanic wkly too and this swans are not always out for photography. Depends on their mood. Haha..

anyway, i feel that maybe can play with the color hue of the greenish water at pp.

:) good shot.

As a snapshot...just passable.

As a photo for us to critique...well...ahem...just not here.

(1) Subject is dead centre. No impact.
(2) Too much exposure. Reduce a bit to bring out the feather highlights.
(3) Reflection cropped away...looks not quite complete.
(4) What's the theme?

My two cents worth.

As a snapshot...just passable.

As a photo for us to critique...well...ahem...just not here.

(1) Subject is dead centre. No impact.
(2) Too much exposure. Reduce a bit to bring out the feather highlights.
(3) Reflection cropped away...looks not quite complete.
(4) What's the theme?

My two cents worth.

Hi hotwork77,
As for the theme, i've written what i feel about this picture in the post.
Reflection cropped away meaning? Reflection of?