A daddy's backpack

SumoBear

Dec 10, 2007
Singapore
Hi CSers,

I am in the midst of hunting a backpack that works like a camera bag cum diaper bag for traveling with my wife and 2yr old toddler to Phuket. I do have the sling-kind of Lowepro and Crumpler camera bag but they are simply camera bags which does not allow me to expand to be a partial diaper bag. It is a big risk to put the wet stuffs with the equipments.

I am thinking to get a backpack from brands like Tatonka, NorthFace or Columbia and then get an additional "camera case insert" (Those padded cushion camera case) to store my equipments. Is it a good solution? I just want to carry 1 bag while moving around.

Any advise from experienced daddies and mummies?

Camera Equipments:
Canon 60D
EFS 17-55 F2.8 IS USM
EF 50mm F1.4 USM
2 x Film Cameras (Water & Toy Cam)

Baby Gears:
Diapers
Wet Wipes
Medication
Thermal Flask for Hot Water
2 x Milk Bottles
Extra clothing

Your advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Maybe you want to look at the Skyborne series from Vanguard.

Maybe you want to look at the Skyborne series from Vanguard.

Thanks for the recommendation but it is still mainly a camera bag....I need the extra space for my daughter's stuff....

The BIIN series is closer to what I want but the storage is still quite limited...

Last edited:
Get kata bag. You can put other staffs beside cam equipments. I just bought kt-466i series from Artworkfoto.com

Get kata bag. You can put other staffs beside cam equipments. I just bought kt-466i series from Artworkfoto.com

I would suggest going with two bags. Inserts (and lens cases) even as they appear to be small, take up a lot of space in the backpack. You will find yourself out of space quickly. When I put my cam and two lenses (say a 105mm and a 35mm) - all in protective wraps - in my 32 litre backpack for a weekend trip, the content fill up the bag to the rim. And, I don't carry much clothing. In your case, the diapers and baby feeding things are going to take up quite a lot of space and I doubt you can find much space in the bag. Unless you are going for 50 litres or bigger bag.

SumoBear said:
Thanks for the recommendation but it is still mainly a camera bag....I need the extra space for my daughter's stuff....

The BIIN series is closer to what I want but the storage is still quite limited...

It comes with a very large section on top for other stuff.

I bought lowepro fastpack 350 for my recent Japan trip, you may wish to take a look.

The amount of space you require I'm not sure, and while the backpack option seems great at first glance, you have to remember you would essentially be putting camera gear on top of nappies, or the other way round. Either way, you won't have dedicated access to either category of things you need.

Suggestion is to get a daypack style of bag, where there is a clearly demarcated camera area, as well as a separate area for "other things".

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...raphic-explorer-backpack---large?prevNav=true

This is one example. Not sure how much "extra clothing" or "diapers" you want to carry around, but in my imagination, that amount of space should suffice.

The amount of space you require I'm not sure, and while the backpack option seems great at first glance, you have to remember you would essentially be putting camera gear on top of nappies, or the other way round. Either way, you won't have dedicated access to either category of things you need.

Suggestion is to get a daypack style of bag, where there is a clearly demarcated camera area, as well as a separate area for "other things".

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...raphic-explorer-backpack---large?prevNav=true

This is one example. Not sure how much "extra clothing" or "diapers" you want to carry around, but in my imagination, that amount of space should suffice.

The backpack which I am looking is probably a medium size that comes with 2 compartments (Can be combined into 1 compartment too). I am thinking to load the top with my baby's stuffs and the bottom with my camera....similar setup like the NatGeo bag which you have proposed. I will probably add a camera padded case to it. Spot this from Photojojo, looks quite good....http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/camera-bag-insert/

The NatGeo bag is so nice but unfortunately it is too expensive...

Driftwood brand?

Loewpro Compurover AW / Rover AW / Rover plus AW should serve yr purpose well. The AW also keeps yr mind at peace if you get caught in the rain. You can concentrate on taking care of yr baby with the AW deployed. :cool:

Loewpro Compurover AW / Rover AW / Rover plus AW should serve yr purpose well. The AW also keeps yr mind at peace if you get caught in the rain. You can concentrate on taking care of yr baby with the AW deployed. :cool:

Wooooo...the Lowepro looks like what I really need but I am just not sure about the price? Can I get one with a budget of $160? Anyway to check the prices online?
I have browsed the Lowepro website but no price stated. Apart from Cathay photo, where can I see Lowepro products?

Greetings SumoBear,

Based on the baby needs you need to carry, I'd say getting a "camera+misc stuffs" backpack is out of the question. There ARE backpacks with separate compartments, but they are to small to carry all your lens and thermal flash, milk powders, diapers, etc. Here are some I've found, but if you check the dimensions and capacity you'll see what I mean:

http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/pv/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-212-668.html

http://www.bagworld.com.au/shop/detail/blackwolf-mule-camera-backpack-chilli-mule/

There used to be a backpack from Tatonka, but it is no longer in production. One of the camping stores here in Melbourne along Lt Bourke St does have stock, though in all honesty I don't expect you can find it in Singapore:

http://www.tatonka.com/en/outdoor-aktuell/Outdoor-News-Meldung.aspx?ID=2810

My honest advice would be to get a proper backpack that is 30L or 35L capacity and a camera insert like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-BUCKET-Camera-Organizer-Oatmeal/dp/B000W8SUI4

OR, instead of a camera insert get a camera pouch with side pockets like one of these:

http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/pv/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-213-647.html

Think Tank, Kata, Vanguard and Case Logic all have such bags, you can put your spare lens at the bottom and DSLR on top. Plus on those rare occasions when you don't need to bring the baby and just the camera, you can just bring the sling bag?

Last edited:
Greetings SumoBear,

There used to be a backpack from Tatonka, but it is no longer in production. One of the camping stores here in Melbourne along Lt Bourke St does have stock, though in all honesty I don't expect you can find it in Singapore:

http://www.tatonka.com/en/outdoor-aktuell/Outdoor-News-Meldung.aspx?ID=2810

My honest advice would be to get a proper backpack that is 30L or 35L capacity and a camera insert like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-BUCKET-Camera-Organizer-Oatmeal/dp/B000W8SUI4

The option of having a backpack and camera insert is what i have in mind but I am just not sure if the various options meet my budget. Hope I am able to get something with a budget of $160, achievable? Meanwhile I will go and do some window shopping to get a clue of what are bags suitable for me. Similarly I will look at the multi-purpose camera pack.

Thanks everyone...;)

i am assuming u will not be expecting to load up the entire trip's supply into the bag right?

then a large camera day pack will be big enough for your stuff. the bulky items will be the milk bottle and flask. can always just bring 1 milk bottle when u pack the bag. just rinse and reuse. wet wipes can bring those small packs and not the whole box.

u are not bringing a stroller or a carrier for your kid?

Wooooo...the Lowepro looks like what I really need but I am just not sure about the price? Can I get one with a budget of $160? Anyway to check the prices online?
I have browsed the Lowepro website but no price stated. Apart from Cathay photo, where can I see Lowepro products?

You can consider TK foto at Funan as well, they have lowepro bags at a slightly lower price. The Rover AW II is below $160:) i just checked it yesterday. Photos online can be inaccurate, best, you can make a trip to funan/Cathay photo to take a look n touch. :)

i am assuming u will not be expecting to load up the entire trip's supply into the bag right?

then a large camera day pack will be big enough for your stuff. the bulky items will be the milk bottle and flask. can always just bring 1 milk bottle when u pack the bag. just rinse and reuse. wet wipes can bring those small packs and not the whole box.

u are not bringing a stroller or a carrier for your kid?

I went for a quick look at Alan Photo @ Sim Lim during my lunch time today. The Lowepro backpacks looks good and they are within my budget but I think I will need some pouches for extension. I will have the stroller with me so it will be extra load so I will want to travel with lesser bags. Oh yah....definately not having baby's wardrode in my bag, just the essential ones.

Just gotta show the backpack to my wife to see if she is happy with the storage space....:p

Last edited:
was in the same scenario as u and did my share of cam/baby gear bag hunting. i ended up my search w 2 options. for backpack i use the lowepro flipside 400. for sling bag i use the thinktank ud35.

my experience is ur cam and lenses can be pack into the main compartment. baby clothes too. I dun feel safe with fluids inside the bag so i got 2 lens pouches to attach to bags. I put the bottles of water and milk bottle there. if you dun like too many pouches the side pouch of the bags are actually good enough. the diapers and clothes can pack into the main compartment and I even manage to squeeze in my 13" laptop there. all the laptop cable and charge stay in my check in bag. any quick draw stuff such as wetwipes and spare diapers can packed in the front pouch too. it is quite spacious there.

the most equipment i travel with were d700, 70-200mm (didnt use much on my trip), AFD 35mm f2, 50mmF1.4. flash sb900. my cam charger and harddisk.