A curious question on how are DSLRs categorised.

iamveryclever

Dec 22, 2008
I'm curious about how are cameras are categorised. For example, d90 is said to be an intermediate level DSLR. D3000, 3100, 5000, 5100 are known as entry levels. What features do they need to possess to be categorised under a certain category. Please do not flame me if this is a redundant question. Thanks to all!

I tot you are very clever? :think: ...............................:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

It's just a nick. I had no idea what nick to use so I came up with this-.-

How about this:

Entry level: < $1200
semi pro: $1201 to $2499
Pro: > $2500

Haha :D

I'm curious about how are cameras are categorised. For example, d90 is said to be an intermediate level DSLR. D3000, 3100, 5000, 5100 are known as entry levels. What features do they need to possess to be categorised under a certain category. Please do not flame me if this is a redundant question. Thanks to all!

It is very rudimentary.

For example, for some funny reason, I have seen Pentax K-5 being placed together with Canon 550D before, because of the "megapixel" count. This is despite the fact that the Canon 550D is more or less a mid-entry level camera, while the K-5 is far more advanced. That same article naturally went on to say that the 550D was cheaper, which was ridiculous.

It really depends on how credible the site/magazine/writer is.

These days various companies have very segregated levels. It used to be simpler - with entry level, mid-range/prosumer and professional, where professional would be the flagship cameras (usually, based on my understanding). These days, just take a look at the Canon lineup for example, you have the Canon 1100D, Canon 600D, Canon 60D, Canon 7D, Canon 5D M2, Canon 1D Mark III. The first two differentiate the entry level market further, the Canon 60D/7D differentiate the mid-range/prosumer market further, and well, I'm not sure where the Canon 5D M2 falls, while 1DM3 is the flagship.

Same for Nikon, naturally. It's just really really messy, and I can't even keep track of Sony with their translucent mirror offerings and the normal DSLRs (and they have a huge slew of normal DSLRs, it seems).

actually i think nikon group them according the FPS and amount af points

for me, I take it as full frame= pro level..APSC=Amateur level... all the sub category in amateur level always change depending on certain website/magazine point of view..hard to follow...haha..2 category..that's it...haha

for me, I take it as full frame= pro level..APSC=Amateur level... all the sub category in amateur level always change depending on certain website/magazine point of view..hard to follow...haha..2 category..that's it...haha

but the D300s and D7000 is known as a 'pro' level in the DX body right? Somehow i don't understand why is there the D3000, 5000, 7000, D80,90, and D300s. For DX itself there are like 3 sub categories already.

but the D300s and D7000 is known as a 'pro' level in the DX body right? Somehow i don't understand why is there the D3000, 5000, 7000, D80,90, and D300s. For DX itself there are like 3 sub categories already.

D7000 isnt a pro level DX body as categorized by nikon professional services.

fyi, this is the list NPS came up with for professional bodies

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/881503-Nikon-products-lifespan-according-to-NPS?highlight=NPS

from here u can see for urself, the Dxxx series onwards r considered professional bodies.

thanks for your information! still i don't really understand how do they categorise their camera ranges. I find it interesting though.

Camera companies look into a lot of factors to categorize their DSLR like the sensor size, partial/full magnesium alloy body, weather sealing, viewfinder coverage, frame per sec, shutter lifespan, AF points & system, high ISO noise control and many others. And they will pack all those stuffs into the camera according to the user they wanna target at and categorize accordingly.

Basically to me, is just now these brands market themselves. For nikon entry level (consumer lever), the price gap from D3100 to D5100 is lower than D5100 to D90. So it gives the conception to customers "spend 100+ dollars more and can get a better cam, must as well buy D5100 as to D3100" Thus, earning more due to a higher profit margin.

From D90 to D7000, the price gap is almost similar of D5100 to D90. That's why so many people claim that D7000 is a good value for money DSLR and a lot of people buy! Check the price gap of the pro DSLR and note the difference.

To me, is a marketing strategy for consumer's psychology to let them earn more money :)

Just wanna add in something interesting, for those who didn't really notice.

Entry level cameras (D5100) - no top LCD display

Mid entry cameras (D7k) - small top LCD display

Semi-pro/pro - large LCD display

Sgdevilzz said:
Just wanna add in something interesting, for those who didn't really notice.

Entry level cameras (D5100) - no top LCD display

Mid entry cameras (D7k) - small top LCD display

Semi-pro/pro - large LCD display

:p D700 has smaller top LCD than D300s