A couple of my favourite insect macros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
These are all recycled shots from the past. :)

PB240557.jpg

PC010819.jpg

insect8.jpg

insect6.jpg

the dragonfly shots are very soft ...

I like the bee shot the best !

overall , nice shots !

Originally posted by megaweb
the dragonfly shots are very soft ...

I like the bee shot the best !

overall , nice shots !

yah, those were taken at that outing with you all, when I stupidly used large apertures, so DOF was very shallow. :D

Thanks for your encouragements!

Good shots!!:thumbsup: I like the big dragonfly eyes and the bee shots. :)

i love the second one... very good colour.... and the details of the wings... WOW!
the last pix of the bee looks like some soft toy to me since it's so hairy.... but it looks like it's going to sting me... now got phobia of soft toy liao.... * kidding* :) all the insects are very beautiful... glad you captured their essense... :)

Originally posted by Ling Nightsky
by the way, you're not scared of the bees stinging you? o_O

I think us macro nuts have already overcome our fear subconsciously, overwhelmed by our love for photography. :) See the spider (some as big as your palm) shots, bee shots, dragonfly shots posted by many forumners here, they are usually taken at typical distances of 10cm away.

I used to be a bit wary of bees, but somehow when I take photos of them, I forget my fear, just for that moment. :)

Any macro shooters experienced the same feeling too?

Do u really stand very close to the insect u are taking....?
Or u use a long focal length lens with macro to take the shot...?

I'm using a G2 nw. Can it take the shot u taken...?

Originally posted by Cool_VIR
Do u really stand very close to the insect u are taking....?
Or u use a long focal length lens with macro to take the shot...?

I'm using a G2 nw. Can it take the shot u taken...?

yah, about 10-15cm away, or else can't get this kind of magnification. The focal lengths for these shots are somewhere near 380mm.

Some guys here have taken excellent insect macros with the G2, but due to the limited telephoto range that it has, I'm afraid it's hard to get this kind of magnification. Using macro lens, or close-up filters will help in getting more magnification. My shots were taken with the closeup +4 filter.

Yup...tweek is rite about being difficult getting this kind of magnification with the G2.

I'm using a G2 and with a +4 filter, the closest I can get is around 11 cm away from the insect. U can get a rough idea of the kind of magnification I'm getting at this distance from this link.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3718

I've got a Hoya macro lens but i nv use it yet.
I dunno it is plus how many times.

Anyway i've posted my shots taken at Sugei Buloh on Sunday.

Pl give me some pointers for improvement.
Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.