A Children's Party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorts

Mar 10, 2007
SG
Hello,

I would be shooting a children's Christmas party sometime soon, and I need some tips as I have never shot an event before. :)

Would I need a external flash? It should be a night party. I never liked Flash Photography, but if it's needed, I don't mind learning.

What should I be looking out for? I know children are very active, but what are some shots I should be expecting?

I would be glad if anyone who have shot children's party before can give me some tips and share your experience.

Thank you.

are u shooting for a CS member...?

are u shooting for a CS member...?

I see this, little or no relevance to my question. But no. It's a charity party.

I would be glad if you could provide tips instead of asking similar questions like the above, which does not tell me anything in any way. Unless you can tell me why you asked that question.

Thank you very much. :)

Anyone?

Be young at heart. See everything thru the eyes of a child (having fun). That is one part of it. The other aspect would be the technicalities of of using the camera and getting the rite moment.

be prepared to kneel, prone or even invert to take creative shots...

That should be no prob for me. :bsmilie: I alwats prone to get the angles I want. My liveview might help as well, but I don't know.

Night party.....indoor/outdoor flash is a must, especially for children, unlike adults, they move very quickly.....unless the lighting is really bright. Use bounch card or diffuser for softer, nicer lighting.

Try to lower the angle to be at their eye level for nice and good eye contact shots.

If the children are really young (like tods), try to tie/place some interesting toys on top of your camera to attract their eyes to your cam.:)

Thats all for now....have fun with the kids.:bsmilie:

Haha. I guess I need a new flash. I myself love kids and hopefully, I won't screw things up. Toys on my camera? Haha! That's funny! :bsmilie:

Toys is a good way to attract kids.....unless you have someone always at the back of you calling out to the tods loh....:)

Haha. I guess I need a new flash. I myself love kids and hopefully, I won't screw things up. Toys on my camera? Haha! That's funny! :bsmilie:

I apply my expereince in shooting dog parties since is kidna like the same but more noise and mischief :bsmilie:

Some kids might be self conscious so you might need to catch them off guard for some nice candid portraits. Dunno how much live view will help but I guess it might save you quite a bit of squatting down but hopefuly they dont run while you are focusing =p , kids can be fast.

lastboltnut is also right about the flash. its very useful to freeze motion as they hardly keep still.. but i prefer to blend in and 'snipe' with a 17-40 if I have too :D SOmeitmes you get a few surprised yells but the expressions are worth it.

You can try rent a flash if this is a once off event. Also, I think you will need a bright zoom lens (ie f2.8) for kids' are damn fast.

You can try rent a flash if this is a once off event. Also, I think you will need a bright zoom lens (ie f2.8) for kids' are damn fast.

True. I might. I have a f/2.8-3.5 lens. Should be fine. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.