A challenge to all, to make our Portrait Forum second to none!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
Recently, I slammed a TS about his pictures. I just said they were bad. And they were extremely bad, in fact, and I really was not in the mood to slam them thoroughly, one by one.

What transpired is not the issue here, but it was a good example why CS's portrait forum is just another run of the mill portrait forum.

The picture posted were in such a sad shape, that no one can claim artistic freedom or subjectivity, in order to defend these offending pictures. And yet, few of us said anything, let alone any serious critiques or strong opinions.

Many had said, that the rush of bad pictures posted, drove the better photographers away, because they do not want their own work to be judged side by side with those that clearly cannot make it. After alll, it had been the modus operandi for some of us here, to show praises where no praise is deserved.

After some thought, I feel that we cannot and should not discourage anyone from posting any pictures, good or bad, even horrible ones. But, it is up to us, the members of the forum, to be honest with our opinions, to praise where praise is earned, to comment, critique, and even slam where such action is deserved.

Such honest opinion will set CS's portrait forum apart from the rest. And the less experienced
can truly benefit.

Recently, I slammed a TS about his pictures. I just said they were bad. And they were extremely bad, in fact, and I really was not in the mood to slam them thoroughly, one by one.

What transpired is not the issue here, but it was a good example why CS's portrait forum is just another run of the mill portrait forum.

The picture posted were in such a sad shape, that no one can claim artistic freedom or subjectivity, in order to defend these offending pictures. And yet, few of us said anything, let alone any serious critiques or strong opinions.

Many had said, that the rush of bad pictures posted, drove the better photographers away, because they do not want their own work to be judged side by side with those that clearly cannot make it. After alll, it had been the modus operandi for some of us here, to show praises where no praise is deserved.

After some thought, I feel that we cannot and should not discourage anyone from posting any pictures, good or bad, even horrible ones. But, it is up to us, the members of the forum, to be honest with our opinions, to praise where praise is earned, to comment, critique, and even slam where such action is deserved.

Such honest opinion will set CS's portrait forum apart from the rest. And the less experienced
can truly benefit.

agree...

i've left that section alone for a long time ever since they had the sugary things there.

but just imho, sometimes when we actually meant well, people don't see it, and people just dun get the idea and start to get defensive.

i just can't get some people who keep looking at the picture and say the model is nice, disregard the fact the picture isn't.

*anyway the above statement is posted on the fact i am a member of CS and not in a capacity of a mod*

*i'm not here to start a war so whoever wanna start one, please take a bucket of cold water and pour over yourselves, anything against, please bring into pm*

There should be a "snapshot" sub-section, where most posts should go to...

It'll get ported straight to /dev/null

I hardly post in the photo galleries, cause I don't think I have good enough photos to put in there. I wouldn't mind people commenting on my photos though, just please don't say anything bad about my subjects, which is mostly my family members.

Anyway, those post in the photo galleries are comments from fellow photographers, so nobody should take it as a personal insult anyway. Lighten up!

Sion, We all need to save water, but water is needed for its purpose, so if its justified use it, cause you are paying for it.... :)

Do you know the government is telling us to save water?

small bucket can liao, as some dun have big face.

To make it a better place, the mods and management need to be bold, but being bold will drive some away, and may affect the operation as money is involve.

There are always other forums that are much clean and honest comments appeared, but dun have much members if compared to CS.

As i always saw comments from mods that says something like u want come, dun like dun come, it does not solve problems at all.

Eventually, it will reach a point that they, the owner, mods and management decides, CS direction. To be a forum with clowns that degrades the forum but with alot membership and postings (with money), or a forum with better members, less members and postings (less money).

If wanna changed, it shd starts with Portrait Forum, as the postings seems really really getting out of hand.

If the pics cannot make it, like where DP posted, but TS looking for comments to improve, it's still ok as CS members if can shd help, but what happens is some dun like comments at all, and still post those CMI pics, so what members do? They will comments as the postings is there.

So with so many CMI pics appeared, alot wanna improve so comments welcome, how to stop them?

My suggestions is have another forum with snapshots and candid, so that those can really shoot post at portraits sessions, which will be a higher standard. Those CMI pics pls dun pollute the place.

Regards

What most of us need is to learn to give a good, frank critique, totally objective of the photo and not character bashing, with the sincere desire to make the shooter improve.

Maybe someone can organise that in the Workshop section, instead of flooding it to becoming XMM-shoot cheap sale sessions....

To make it a better place, the mods and management need to be bold, but being bold will drive some away, and may affect the operation as money is involve.

There are always other forums that are much clean and honest comments appeared, but dun have much members if compared to CS.

As i always saw comments from mods that says something like u want come, dun like dun come, it does not solve problems at all.

Eventually, it will reach a point that they, the owner, mods and management decides, CS direction. To be a forum with clowns that degrades the forum but with alot membership and postings (with money), or a forum with better members, less members and postings (less money).

If wanna changed, it shd starts with Portrait Forum, as the postings seems really really getting out of hand.

If the pics cannot make it, like where DP posted, but TS looking for comments to improve, it's still ok as CS members if can shd help, but what happens is some dun like comments at all, and still post those CMI pics, so what members do? They will comments as the postings is there.

So with so many CMI pics appeared, alot wanna improve so comments welcome, how to stop them?

My suggestions is have another forum with snapshots and candid, so that those can really shoot post at portraits sessions, which will be a higher standard. Those CMI pics pls dun pollute the place.

Regards

wah, u like hoot mod like never work like that...

well, sometimes we also need support from members rite... ya know previously i was kinda active giving my 2 cents around til a point in time that some here was like pm me say i was bad and such... well, its abit hard to balance here.

If we wanna improve the overall standard of CS, we probably should just work on the pics, take a look at the critique section. I think is well maintained. If we can improvise something across the board. I guess it would be great. Rather than having those people who always say, nice pics but it actually meant, nice looking models-i'm not looking at the picture... we can have more ppl commenting on the pictures itself, no sugary buttery, just straight to the point telling them how you feel about the picture.

Probably those who doesn't want any comments can just close the thread after posting.

Portrait Forum is not the only one lacking in standard, the other forums have the same problem.

It is fine for photographers to ask for comments on their photos. However, there are many groups that liberally give "thumbs up" to their group members, without analysing the contents. This does not help in improving standards while at the same time the reflect the attitude of the posters.

Is the forum for learning photography or a social place for meaningless posts?

its the mentality of the members to realise what is a benchmark, but everyone has different ones. we cannot stop new photographers from posting horrible pictures because they are new to it. at least for more experienced ones, put thumbs down to it unanimously lor..if they consistently post horrible pics then its their fault. its good to give benefit of doubt, in a way we still can learn. everyone makes mistakes. slam only those who are reculcitrants lol

There should be a "snapshot" sub-section, where most posts should go to...

How many GWC will post their precious photo in "snaphot" sub-section after spending thousands of dollars acquiring lastest stated-of-the-art professional camera system?

GWC: "Snap shot???? Me holding pro camera and lenses you know.... how dare you insult me and my precious model." :bsmilie:

How many GWC will post their precious photo in "snaphot" sub-section after spending thousands of dollars acquiring lastest stated-of-the-art professional camera system?

GWC: "Snap shot???? Me holding pro camera and lenses you know.... how dare you insult me and my precious model." :bsmilie:

Every GWC who posted will be offended. What I hope is some of them will graduate from the rank of GWC. Not too many, I see them around over and over again, but one is better than none.

It's up to the members of the forum to do what it takes to bring the forum to second to none status.

do you guys know why clubsnap was formed?

HOLD IT!!!

where like-minded individuals with a love of fotography can gather, discuss and share their experiences, works and passion.

didnt know that there is a minimum std set before one can post in portrait. is it stated anywhere in the guideline / r&r on cs?

can truly benefit.

It's not gonna happen unless something changes the zietgeist of this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.