A caucasian

Status
Not open for further replies.

LENS

Apr 8, 2005
I was around Clarke Quay last night, when walking along the path way, i took out my handphone to check sth..and slow down my pace.. then there was a mid year caucasian pushing a baby stroller and coming to the other way. he was alert that i may crash his baby or whatever, he talked to me 'open your eyes' in a tone i find it quite impolite ha. However, I said 'sorry' instantly without thinking and before i realise he asked me to open my eyes..

Afterthat, i found it quite pissed off actually, i wonder is 'open your eyes' is a rude phrase?or just simply i am lousy in my english interpretation. If next time, another caucasian talks to me like this way, i will approach him politely to make sure he doesn't mean that because i am an annoying asian.

I believe there is always certain racism among human beings, it is natural, I will do something to improve it, peacefully. ha.

Any caucasian out there? will you tell a tattoo man in Geylang to open his eyes?ha >_<

So is 'open your eyes' is a slang or whatever? let me know so next time if i am in a caucasian country i will say open your eyes instead of 'Be careful'..like Richard Gere in Visa ad.

usually it means "watch where you're going?" but still even if he's not being racist (asians have smaller eyes), i still find it quite rude.

we used that phrase in school (i went to school in australia) where the older kids would say that to younger kids and shove them out of the way as they were walking past the corridor.

so yes, it does mean "look out", but i feel it's still rude. *shrug*

Take it easy lor......

I had much worst one.....when I migrate to Aust, this teacher actually got the brains to ask me a question. Is it true that the people in your country lived on trees?

My reply?

"Yes, Sir. My people do live on trees. My dad parked his merc on the trees." :sweat:

Everywhere u go, you are bound to find racist elements in each country. The main thing is how you deal with pple like tat niah......

Best is let them be, why teach them to become smarter.
All you want is to see their downfalls right? :devil:

LENS said:
I was around Clarke Quay last night, when walking along the path way, i took out my handphone to check sth..and slow down my pace.. then there was a mid year caucasian pushing a baby stroller and coming to the other way. he was alert that i may crash his baby or whatever, he talked to me 'open your eyes' in a tone i find it quite impolite ha. However, I said 'sorry' instantly without thinking and before i realise he asked me to open my eyes..

Afterthat, i found it quite pissed off actually, i wonder is 'open your eyes' is a rude phrase?or just simply i am lousy in my english interpretation. If next time, another caucasian talks to me like this way, i will approach him politely to make sure he doesn't mean that because i am an annoying asian.

I believe there is always certain racism among human beings, it is natural, I will do something to improve it, peacefully. ha.

Any caucasian out there? will you tell a tattoo man in Geylang to open his eyes?ha >_<

So is 'open your eyes' is a slang or whatever? let me know so next time if i am in a caucasian country i will say open your eyes instead of 'Be careful'..like Richard Gere in Visa ad.
U shld have said, "Watch your stroller."

Where racist remarks occurs especially from a foreigner to a local in the local's own playground, its a matter of seeing who's faster on the draw.

Nothing racist about that. The western culture is very forthright in their approach. They could get very much worse with each other.

Stop over analysing

yeah i think it was more a rude act than a racist act.

of course, if u want to, you could always say he was rude becos of racism... but i mean.. why sweat it. :)

Benign said:
"Yes, Sir. My people do live on trees. My dad parked his merc on the trees." :sweat:

HAHA park his merc on the trees lol. There are racists all over the world. We all can't stop it. =) listen to some good music and just cool down. "Open your eyes" really sounds rude to me too. He could just be polite can't he? But most caucasians i meet are really friendly with the exception of teens. ;p

i agree with others. i think it's an act of rudeness, rather than being racist.
i mean i do meet many nice caucasians who actually would say 'excuse me'. instead of some locals who elbow me to indicate me to give way :rolleyes:
cant lambast the races lah, just a bad day you had. cheerio :)

Wisp said:
Nothing racist about that. The western culture is very forthright in their approach. They could get very much worse with each other.

Stop over analysing

ok, it could be ^_^ ha, but anyway, it is still impolite. I think i will just talk to whoever he is next time, to tell him that i am sorry but can he be polite ah?

Anyway, sometimes i think the father with baby in stroller is so defensive... well, let it be.

But let's learn not to fight back with words or sarcasm, that's just like what impolite people will do ah.. let's talk and understand from them.

I am sorry if i mention racism ha. Let's focus on rude manner.

Hehehe...."open your eyes" is really rude, next time tell him to "watch his stroller" or "why? you too ugly for me to look at?"

Heheheh...cheers!

a few seconds after i said 'sorry', and he and his wife, baby in stroller had passed me..i was stunning and standing there.. i said sorry mm..in a 'reflective' way when i know i blocked someone's way.. but when i realised it is not 'excuse me', it is 'open your eyes'.. i looked at his back and was thinking of what does it mean? does it mean rude?? ha..

Well, i was pissed off at that time, but i decided to let it be and learn it this time, next time i will be sure to talk to him, to ask him if it is a rude remark? i don't understand coz my english isn't good.

By the way, i found it racism because a lot of caucasian sitting the outdoor cafe along the way..and.. just can't help ha.

Unfairness is everywhere, let's make disadvantage as advantage..cheers

perhaps they assumed yuo were one of those people who constantly look at your handphone and keep smsing or playing games with it wherever you go, until the person is oblivious to the surroundings...

I've seen it many times.

not racist la..
probably just irritated cause he has a baby to take care of so kind of more wary about other people...

I had few racists remarks on me as well...
like once i knew someone who asked me.. how come i was indian yet i didn't have that "smell".

sometimes its good to just ignore or take lightly.
Everywhere there will always be something. Just have to learn to deal with it.

yeah, the guy is probably more scared that you would hit the baby in the stroller. That's why he behaved that way. If you have a baby in a stroller you are pushing, you would also behave similiarly. The baby is the priority. He might have met many others who is doing the same as you, not watching out where they are going and then nearly almost hit the baby. Babies can' fend for themselves.

Imagine your child getting hurt. It's extremely tough in Singapore, with the area not built for families with strollers, or handicapped friendly facilities too. It's just too small, and most designers of public area and buildings don't seem to take this into consideration.

While he might have sound rude, you do not know what he has been through before he met you. I am Chinese, and I also can get quite pissed off with people when they meet me headon and I have got nowhere to turn my stroller.

I used to think why people bring stroller, when there is so little space for manuevering in Singapore. Now that I have a 16th mth old toddler, it is neccessary to have one when we go out.

There would be no racist connotation to the remark 'Open Your Eyes' and I did not even get it until you explained it. I suppose it is slightly less polite than 'excuse me' but not worse than a lot of the pushing and shoving I see around.

I guess one of the hazards of pushing a stroller around these days is people who are not looking where they are going because they have their head buried in their handphone or even worse now, watching their ipod video.

I can't believe this warrants a moan about rude behaviour - I am guilty of wandering along trying to sms someone and people will say the same to me. It just reminds me that I am walking in a public place and should take more care.

I make the same sorts of remarks when rollerblading along the East Coast track as well, as less impolite things such as 'walk on your own path', 'watch where you're going' and for those who crash into me on bicycles, 'learn to ride that f**king thing!!'. Oh, my personal favourite is 'remove head from sphyincter, then ride' :)

Phildate said:
There would be no racist connotation to the remark 'Open Your Eyes' and I did not even get it until you explained it. I suppose it is slightly less polite than 'excuse me' but not worse than a lot of the pushing and shoving I see around.

I can't believe this warrants a moan about rude behaviour - I am guilty of wandering along trying to sms someone and people will say the same to me. It just reminds me that I am walking in a public place and should take more care.

Well, I certainly can agree that this does not warrant an "outcry" of racism. And probably not even "rude behaviour".

Sounds more like a case of a Caucasian with either limited vocabulary, or limited ability to use the right vocabulary for whatever reasons.

I agree it's rather rude but on reflection, I do find many people in Singapore who is walking one way while their eyes is looking the other, it's quite annoying when you are walking towards somebody like that.

just let it be, it's just 2 person crossing each other's path.....

LENS said:

Afterthat, i found it quite pissed off actually, i wonder is 'open your eyes' is a rude phrase?

It is not particularly rude, and it is not racist at all. In contrast, giving this thread the title "a caucasian" is. Or would you have titled "a chinese" if you had bumped into someone of chinese origin?

LittleWolf said:
It is not particularly rude, and it is not racist at all. In contrast, giving this thread the title "a caucasian" is. Or would you have titled "a chinese" if you had bumped into someone of chinese origin?

wah, then i am a racist..ha.
Well, maybe we all are, imagine how a caucasian behave in a club with mostly caucasian and another club with mostly asian? and vise versa, an asian behave in both club..

Anyway, my thread purpose is want to know issit 'open your eyes' a rude phrase ah?haa..
before i react to this phrase ha.

By the way, i did bump into a chinese in Chinatown after that ha, but it is because the place is crowded..i again said sorry in a reflective way, he was really polite and even gesture me to move first..

Well, if u are thinking.. i don't bump into ppl all the time lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.