A Cat's Portrait

akszaksz

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition & Exposure

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Trying out portrait shots, wanna make it like a professional cat model as if this pose is deliberately made for me to capture my shot =)

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Was about to keep my camera when it's gonna rain then this cat walk towards me & sat down.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I'm kinda like this shot but i feel that composition wise can be still improved.

5137530497_f8b88bc07a_z.jpg

Oh by the way, the Exif are as follow:

Camera Canon EOS 500D
Exposure 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 70 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire

Thanks for the coming C&C in advance =)

I don't like it that you cut of part of the cay's left eye. I also don't like that the cat is looking down at this picture and there is no eye contact. Cat eyes are very beautiful, and you lost that with not much of the eye visible.

I agree :)

It'd have looked better if the cat is looking at you...

Cutting that left eye away by a bit looks 'weird' to me, either you cut all, or you cut none... (it's just framing :))

I don't like it that you cut of part of the cay's left eye. I also don't like that the cat is looking down at this picture and there is no eye contact. Cat eyes are very beautiful, and you lost that with not much of the eye visible.

I agree :)

It'd have looked better if the cat is looking at you...

Cutting that left eye away by a bit looks 'weird' to me, either you cut all, or you cut none... (it's just framing :))

I see, thanks
Will take note of it in next shoot =)

Cat's eyes are beautiful and the image would have been much more powerful if it was looking into the camera at the viewer.

Otherwise, DOF control and lighting is nice.

I have a different opinion. Personally, I find that this is a pretty well taken portraits. The improvement, as mentioned. Eyes cut.

I got an idea, how'd it looked like if you'd like to make it b/w and increase the contrast? Hmm...

Cats are not that easy to shoot....they tend to shy away from camera. But keep trying - try capture the nice eyes and head shots.
The other angles that I think look nice are: cats when they sleep, and cat's 'hump' (backs) or when they are in 'action'

Capturing the texture of the cat's fur is nice, but the picture becomes very impersonal without the expression in the eyes.
Must try to capture another cat portrait with a clear view of the eyes and post for us to see. :)

Cats are not that easy to shoot....they tend to shy away from camera. But keep trying - try capture the nice eyes and head shots.
The other angles that I think look nice are: cats when they sleep, and cat's 'hump' (backs) or when they are in 'action'

you need to understand your subject.

same goes for macro, same goes for people.

my take on that statement that people always brandish around for street photography "if your pictures are not good enough, you're not close enough" refers to emotional, mental closeness, not physical distance.

one important point to note is that what seems like the cat's leg in the background is grossly out of proportion. it looks like the cat has toothpick legs.

this is probably a case of using a much too short focal length for this distance. yes, i find it very important, but not many people seems to emphasise this nowadays.