a boy calls him garfield

adrianseetho

Dec 26, 2008
IMG_0397.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, exposure and color

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I hope i achieve better exposure as i feel certain elements is lacking in the pictures

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Afternoon sun, under a HDB block. The cat was fairly friendly

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Bad composition?

pls comment! :)
i am really seeking for some advice.
thanks!

1. color is ok,but bg same hue with subject,unless you want to emphasize eyes,lighting not exciting

2. dare to over expose

3. where was taken is not as important as what the subject was doing

4. bad subject

if the cat was looking into the light with a bit of an overexposed face then this may look a bit more exciting. a cat biting a mouse in its mouth would be good, a cat doing something unusual with the mouse is much much more.

1. color is ok,but bg same hue with subject,unless you want to emphasize eyes,lighting not exciting

2. dare to over expose

3. where was taken is not as important as what the subject was doing

4. bad subject

if the cat was looking into the light with a bit of an overexposed face then this may look a bit more exciting. a cat biting a mouse in its mouth would be good, a cat doing something unusual with the mouse is much much more.

thanks for ur comment!
so u mean i should try shooting with at an angle where light can shine directly at his face? resulting in an overexposed face? :) i am pretty new to photography. hence i am still quite foreign to such stuff. thank u so much!

Hi,

I like the depth of field.

The isolation of subject by aperture is pleasant, if the colour of the background is different from the subject, it would be better. (more isolation and higher emphasis on the subject)

No catchlight in the eyes of the cat.

Overall the lighting is more 2D than 3D, Very soft and uniform light across the photo.

Go easy on the post processing vignetting

Composition can be improved. Either by going tighter or wider? As the cropping of ears is slightly distracting.

All in all, a nice photo of a cat.

Last edited:
Hi,

I like the depth of field.

The isolation of subject by aperture is pleasant, if the colour of the background is different from the subject, it would be better. (more isolation and higher emphasis on the subject)

No catchlight in the eyes of the cat.

Overall the lighting is more 2D than 3D, Very soft and uniform light across the photo.

Go easy on the post processing vignetting

All in all, a nice photo of a cat.

thanks for the comment! anw what do u mean by "Overall the lighting is more 2D than 3D, Very soft and uniform light across the photo". How do u achieve a overall lighting tt is more 3D? :)

Last edited:
not really, but try not to maintain the lighting too even. can be more dramatic,to tell a story. cat is not intersting as well. find a cuter cat

when shooting animals,shoot them doing something when possible

I;m ok with the picture but my only say is .. try not to cut off the ears