a bowl of chilli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noretta10

Aug 24, 2008
www.colourshots.multiply.com
Hello evryone~!!

Took this using natural light (about 9 am to be exact)..no flash was involved..
Used my 50mm f1.8 for this shot..

do comment if there is anything i can work on... be it the shot or the editing.. Gracias! =)

2255319810_148072b105_b.jpg

Colors are divided into warm colors and cool colors.

IMHO, the contrast are a bit stark and there's no story behind it. Did you mean to 'tell something' or to do a snap?

Colors are divided into warm colors and cool colors.

IMHO, the contrast are a bit stark and there's no story behind it. Did you mean to 'tell something' or to do a snap?

oh i was actually just snapping away... i thought the green and red contrast was the objective of this photo.. yes i do need constructive feedback so that i know where i went wrong..

Thanks! =)

The chilli looks fresh, but doesn't look real.

1) Colors are over saturated.
2) No texture
3) Need DOF control

Storywise - A bowl of chilli. The imagery formed in mind is Hot & Spicy. I would recommend to set the scene. Maybe can cut and show the insides of the chilli, scatter chilli seeds where appropriate.

The chilli looks fresh, but doesn't look real.

1) Colors are over saturated.
2) No texture
3) Need DOF control

Storywise - A bowl of chilli. The imagery formed in mind is Hot & Spicy. I would recommend to set the scene. Maybe can cut and show the insides of the chilli, scatter chilli seeds where appropriate.

oh... i see i seee.... so (sorry for being ignorant, but i'm really learning now..) still life photography does need something like "a story" behind the captured shot?

Thanks!

oh... i see i seee.... so (sorry for being ignorant, but i'm really learning now..) still life photography does need something like "a story" behind the captured shot?
Thanks!
Story: any photo needs some kind of story... story being understood here in a very very broad sense... at the moment your pic does not have one... red chillies in a glass with green cloth does not say anything... you would not find it in a kitchen or so... chillies on a cutting board with a knife would have story

Colours: i think a bit too much... tone the green down

Exposure: either you had a very bright window or you used flash, in any case the lighting is very even without noticable shadows which makes the shot flat and uninteresting. Try to get the light not from behind you but from the side, or for food even from front, create dark shadows and highlights but be careful not to blow the highlights or drown the shadows

Composition: top down with a lot of DOF does not give a sense of depth.

i hope this helps

Story: any photo needs some kind of story... story being understood here in a very very broad sense... at the moment your pic does not have one... red chillies in a glass with green cloth does not say anything... you would not find it in a kitchen or so... chillies on a cutting board with a knife would have story

Colours: i think a bit too much... tone the green down

Exposure: either you had a very bright window or you used flash, in any case the lighting is very even without noticable shadows which makes the shot flat and uninteresting. Try to get the light not from behind you but from the side, or for food even from front, create dark shadows and highlights but be careful not to blow the highlights or drown the shadows

Composition: top down with a lot of DOF does not give a sense of depth.

i hope this helps

my window was on my right (looking at the slanted chilli, the light did come from the side)...But i do see where you are leading me... now i get the idea...

GOsh... i should have joined CLUBsnap 2 years ago.. I would have been so much better now!! Really appreciate the time taken to comment on my pic.. thanks once again! =)

ChEERS,
Noretta

The background colour doesn't really go well with the chillies. A black or white background would have better emphasized the colour of the chillies.

could b better if u use shallower depth of field

Thanks for your clarification. I was kind of wondering how can a bowl of chillies tell a story... :)

hmm.. i think if you had placed the chill on the table top instead with cloves and soem spices would have been more interesting. the cill in a little glass cup didn't work for me!

Thanks for your clarification. I was kind of wondering how can a bowl of chillies tell a story... :)

"Story" is a broad sense.

More or less, people knows how chilli looks like. So our photo here should serve a higher purpose. More specifically, what's the message of the photo trying to tell the viewer.
- chilli, fresh & juicy
- Hot & spicy
- Special variety of chilli or weird looking ones
- the bowl - the container
- the bowl - depicting the sheer multitude of chilli variety
- temporal element - about to be minced/diced/cooked
- chilli as ingredient
- chilli as a metaphor
- testing of lens? sharpness / contrast / color / CA :dunno:

"Story" is a broad sense.

More or less, people knows how chilli looks like. So our photo here should serve a higher purpose. More specifically, what's the message of the photo trying to tell the viewer.
- chilli, fresh & juicy
- Hot & spicy
- Special variety of chilli or weird looking ones
- the bowl - the container
- the bowl - depicting the sheer multitude of chilli variety
- temporal element - about to be minced/diced/cooked
- chilli as ingredient
- chilli as a metaphor
- testing of lens? sharpness / contrast / color / CA :dunno:

Thanks for clearing that up for me! =)

You guys are so sweet!

Status