A big red lantern hangs above

Status
Not open for further replies.

goliath1980

Apr 19, 2009
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goliath1980/3513289434/

Hi fellow clubsnappers,

I am new to photography, and have invested in a Canon EOS 1000D. I had taken some shots (with extensive help from Photoshop), and would like to humbly seek your critques.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
- Composition; I hope to improve on this before exploring other factors of an impressive photograph

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- to invoke contradicting emotions of warmth and coolness

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- photo taken in early evening along the street in Chinatown
- emotion at time of snap: moody

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
- problem with exposure (clouds at central portion)
- problem with focus (yellow threads at bottom of lantern)

Last edited:
a hard working moderator.

why picture not post here ?

help u abit since ur are new =)

3513289434_3732d95626.jpg

composition is fine - nicely place lantern with clouds as backdrop, very clean
1)more to work on techniques though as u mention the blur yellow strings
2)cloudes seems a little overexposed

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- to invoke contradicting emotions of warmth and coolness

???wat warm and coolness???

nice colors,

but other than that, there is little going for the picture. the composition is alright though.

one of those types where i have nothing much to say, everything is ok for me, there is nothing to nitpick, but it doesn't particularly stand out, but there is nothing wrong with that, to be honest.

ok, maybe a wee bit too saturated, the sky is looking a bit artificial, but that is ok for me, with regards to tolerance to degree of surreality.

Getting a serious look again at this picture...

the spread of blue of the sky is inconsistent, as from the top left to the bottom of right corner shows.
scattering of clouds had somewhat weaken the " big red " lantern.

the " red " isn't that " red ", more like orange.

done in the evening, when the sky's deep blue sets in and the lantern lit up and glow might enhance the feeling of being a " lantern ". also the darkness of the nite might helps to hide the wire hanging across.

MR Goh KH?;p

Not bad picture.

Works for me if exposure is a tad lower.
The blue works for me but nice if the red is darker, works better for contrast :dunno:

Shy@n

Thank you all for the feedback, i really appreciate it :D

And thanks for helping me put up the pic, I suppose I have to figure out how to put it up.. from the POST options, I only saw an option to embed URL to my picture :dunno:

To be frank, when i took that pic, it looked really terrible.. dull sky and washed out color.. was about to delete it but felt like giving it a try in Photoshop... as it was my first time using a DSLR, and first time using photoshop, i just fiddled around by clicking and poking anywhere/everywhere... turned out I got a "revived" pic, but the skies and the lantern color dun seem to be as bright/even as I intended

what i had in mind was to contrast a bright red lantern against the blue skies - partly for a simple composition, but also to show a warm subject against a cool background.

IMHO, your composition is good. You mentioned you shoot in evening? Probably wait a bit more. Let the sky darker a bit? Or let the lantern light up (more red)

I like it, the colours are good, and the composition is pleasing. If there's any need for improvement, a very slight overall increase in contrast will help.

:light: just spark an idea...

suppose if this shot is done in the twilight hour, with the deep blue sky, placing (framing ) the red lit up lantern at the lower right corner and superimpose a round yellowish/orangy full moon at the top left handside, maybe (just maybe ) could have made a much more interesting picture.

photo-element : bright moon-some clouds-blue sky-red lantern.

lol... this seems like a movie scene... 月黑风高杀人夜...

Clean nice pic.

lol... this seems like a movie scene... 月黑风高杀人夜...

yea, more like illustrative picture, like those movie poster.

i like the colors of the whole thing, in terms of placements, you could have moved the subject a bit down or left so that the line it's hanging from is starting from the corner of the frame

Cheers!

love the sky and the subject. i wouldn't mind the sky being less saturated though, and the lantern seems to be almost near the center. get it exactly at 1/3 of the picture and it would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.