A Better Tomorrow

Sion

Bad things may happen from time to time in our society.

No good to dwell too much on negativity.

Move on. Be strong and positive.

Because there's alway A Better Tomorrow for us and for the rest.

a2bbetter2btomorrow.jpg

There are things that happen sometimes that make me wonder whether a 'better tomorrow' will ever really happen.

With the prices of food, housing, transport, medical, etc all going up continuously I really fear tomorrow.

Singapore-Cardboard-Collector.jpg

With the prices of food, housing, transport, medical, etc all going up continuously I really fear tomorrow.

Singapore-Cardboard-Collector.jpg

a picture tells a thousand words...

wait till you realize that most of these "poor" card board box rag-and-bone men and women actually have a fully-paid roof over their heads, kids to look after them and all the rest.

of course there are those who are really unfortunate, but most people will see every one of these people in such pictures... as people without a home or people to look after them.

no media will present the whole truth if they can sensationalize things to push their own agenda, and you have to talk to them, or find someone who knows their plight instead of saying that all such people in the picture you've posted are suffering from such.

i've spoken to some of them. they do it because they have nothing better to do, and their kids don't want them to work but they'd rather find something to do.

heck, i have friends with elderly relatives just like that as well.

If you are a tourist who likes to drink alcohol and you are staying at Park Royal Kitchener Road, then there really is a better tomorrow. Tomorrow at 6 am, you can start drinking alcohol in your hotel room, if you want to.

I do not think the majority of the old folks eking out a subsistence living by collecting card board boxes, are doing it just to occupy themselves or for fun; when they are from well off families with lots of material comforts and luxuries. Maybe a few, say for example 3. But definitely not ALL of them. If society writes it off as an unrepresentative anomaly, then perhaps we just want to bluff ourselves to feel better about it.

Last edited:
A better tomorrow? LOL.
With a gun in your hand???

At my HDB Block, there are at least 2 such men collecting anything and everything from paper, tin and metal components for resell to metal recycle shops for money. They have grand children schooling around primary schools. They spoke in a China Chinese accent. Yes, they definitely have roofs over their heads. They stay with their children. Besides being grandparents, they collect stuffs from dustbins, rubbish dumps areas and can be seen doing it openly on daily basis. They don't a better tomorrow and just want neighbours to leave them alone doing their business. These cases are not the true worst off families who cannot only meet daily expenses but need social assistance and help. Sad but there are many such poor families around. Hope they are being help in time, especially those with children.

Bad things may happen from time to time in our society.

No good to dwell too much on negativity.

Move on. Be strong and positive.

Because there's alway A Better Tomorrow for us and for the rest.

a2bbetter2btomorrow.jpg

Your image... Chow Yun Fatt character died twice/ thrice in the movie.. I dun remember the ending much.... so how much is it a Better Tomorrow? When you died?? quite ironic... lol...

I do not think the majority of the old folks eking out a subsistence living by collecting card board boxes, are doing it just to occupy themselves or for fun; when they are from well off families with lots of material comforts and luxuries. Maybe a few, say for example 3. But definitely not ALL of them. If society writes it off as an unrepresentative anomaly, then perhaps we just want to bluff ourselves to feel better about it.

I have been into one of the such family home before..... it have a stench, and no way that was a fully paid house. The family was staying in a rented unit, and with most space, filled with card boxes... They will make arrangement to have a karaguni man to come to collect once their unit is full....

their unit ever caught fire once and SCDF personal were there to put the fire out for them..... lucky no one was hurt.... but the blaze was really huge and many units were evacuated in the process.....

People who have excess money will have more attas interest... like gardening, bon sai, etc.... do you know how shaming it is to dig into a dustbin to look for tin can or to pull things out from rubbish bin?? People who never done it tend to make comments when they should actually... try to go out and dig a dustbin, with a lot of eyes looking at you, and then, you tell me if people who have money will do things like this....

Do you think they collect card boxes by people who pack it nicely for them?

I do think that our Media has been very successful... you can see it is obvious some are so conditioned by the media, and have no knowledge of Ground Zero and just... simply comment on such issues... and it pain me when I realized that such population is not small... and they are so immune to people predicament... and rather insensitive....

Quite a bit of the new gen are like this... and I do not think by selective of the "good" news, is the right way to develop our society....

I do think the Internet is a "Balancing Field".... but all people gotta be smart in listening or choosing what to believe....

Reactions: hanzohattori
Yes, it is wrong to be dismissive of other people's misery and misfortune; and white wash it with a smart alecky remark.

It is probably right that to be a first world nation we would need to have a first world social welfare system.

It would be fitting....

The Glazer.... they have a debt to settle first..... everything else is secondary.....

Last edited:
I have been into one of the such family home before..... it have a stench, and no way that was a fully paid house. The family was staying in a rented unit, and with most space, filled with card boxes... They will make arrangement to have a karaguni man to come to collect once their unit is full....

their unit ever caught fire once and SCDF personal were there to put the fire out for them..... lucky no one was hurt.... but the blaze was really huge and many units were evacuated in the process.....

People who have excess money will have more attas interest... like gardening, bon sai, etc.... do you know how shaming it is to dig into a dustbin to look for tin can or to pull things out from rubbish bin?? People who never done it tend to make comments when they should actually... try to go out and dig a dustbin, with a lot of eyes looking at you, and then, you tell me if people who have money will do things like this....

Do you think they collect card boxes by people who pack it nicely for them?

I do think that our Media has been very successful... you can see it is obvious some are so conditioned by the media, and have no knowledge of Ground Zero and just... simply comment on such issues... and it pain me when I realized that such population is not small... and they are so immune to people predicament... and rather insensitive....

Quite a bit of the new gen are like this... and I do not think by selective of the "good" news, is the right way to develop our society....

I do think the Internet is a "Balancing Field".... but all people gotta be smart in listening or choosing what to believe....

That's from an assumption that all rich people will do things that are cultured and expensive in nature.

If you say that youngsters love to tune out the bad and just focus on what the media says, what i feel is that the older folks tend to generalize and make lots of assumptions.

That's from an assumption that all rich people will do things that are cultured and expensive in nature.

Not all rich people will do things that are cultured and expensive in nature, but almost none of the poor can afford to do things that are cultured and expensive in nature.

Not all rich people will do things that are cultured and expensive in nature, but almost none of the poor can afford to do things that are cultured and expensive in nature.

well, i do lots of cultured stuff like enjoying tea and coffee :)