A beginner's Macro lens =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedalus Trent

Apr 15, 2008
Singapore, east-ish
Hi everyone,

i'm buying my 1st Macro lens and honestly, i haven't much of a clue on what lens to buy.
I own a D50 and am considering a Tamron AF90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Lens 1:1 though.

Well, my choice mainly dependent on price, cos my budget's <800SGD =(

can anyone shed light on whether the Tamron's a good choice?

It's a great lens. Have yet to regret buying it, and I bought mine over a year ago. Possibly two. Still, depends on what you intend to shoot with it, and how much space you have.

i'm buying my 1st Macro lens and honestly, i haven't much of a clue on what lens to buy.

True macro lenses (prime lenses capable of 1:1 magnification - the Tamron 90mm macro is one) are almost always excellent optically. The same is not true for the "macro" zooms (those are not true macros).

Some of them may have slower AF, but you will be using manual focusing a lot for macros anyway. The only other thing to consider is the focal length you require, which depends on what you're photographing and what kind of flash system (if any) you're using.

Good piece of tool...

get one second hand, and you'd save for a good flash too... ;)

If you need more persuasion, my macro pics are largely taken with this lens, Tamron 90mm. Check my flickr site for more info. ;)

Tamron 90mm is definitely a good macro lens.
With budget less tha $800, it is either this or the Nikkor 60mm.
Really depends on what kind of macro you are after.

Yes, agree. Tamron 90mm is a good piece of lens.

I wonder if the new Nikon 105mm is able to beat the Tamron 90mm?

The Nikon 105 is definitely better. But at a much higher cost. So cost-wise, the Tamron is pretty value for money. ;)

Im using the tamron 90mm, can say that the quality is good considering the amt u pay for it.
Two things that I personally dun like abt the tamron is that the barrel will protrude in and out when u focus.
2nd thing is that it is not constant f2.8...

I'm one of the other camp of people using the Tokina 100mm f/2.8. I think its a reasonable alternative to the Tamron 90mm, but nothing beats the 105VR in that regards.

However its still a viable tool. I took shots such as this and this, and many others in my gallery.

Kinda sad i'm gonna be selling it off soon tho. I will testify its a pretty hardy lens in terms of built and image quality (which is tack sharp).

The Nikon 105mm micro is also a non constant f2.8
When u change the focus from infinity to close up, the aperture decreases

Ryan

thanks for all the helpful comments!

and yea, i'll be using it mostly for macro-shots of subjects like insects and other small animals, so i think a larger working distance would definately be an asset =P

get the 90mm 2nd hand and get sb600 (i think u need to customize it a little if not the flash wont hit the subject if ur shooting too close) if not u can save up a little more and get a ring flash.
i got the 90mm. great for small critters, i love the sharpness and how versatile the lens is (except while focusing the damn thing is external. sometimes spiders jump on to my lens =X. u dont need anything longer than that. unless u want to shoot skittish insects such as butterflies(and being serious about it). 60mm is too short though.

the other lens are same as nikon.

only nikon body show real aperture.

The Nikon 105mm micro is also a non constant f2.8
When u change the focus from infinity to close up, the aperture decreases

Ryan

Im using the tamron 90mm, can say that the quality is good considering the amt u pay for it.
Two things that I personally dun like abt the tamron is that the barrel will protrude in and out when u focus.

although the reading on the camera shows variable f-number, but the lens is a constant f2.8, as the barrel moves futher from the sensor to allow a closer focusing distance, less light is allowed into the sensor, causing the camera to read as a variable aperture size, you will still get the f2.8 bokeh. I have a tamron 90mm, never tried other macro lenses before but so far only draw back is the focusing speed. but if using for macro shots, most of the time you should be using manual focusing. very sharp as well. :)

thanks for all the helpful comments!

and yea, i'll be using it mostly for macro-shots of subjects like insects and other small animals, so i think a larger working distance would definately be an asset =P

if you want to shoot really tiny skitterish stuff i recommend you choose a longer working length. this way the front of your lens will be further away - less chances of the bug running off.

most if not all macro lenses are very sharp. you might want to consider the longer focal lengths of sigma 150mm 2.8, 180mm 3.5, tamron 180mm 3.5.

hey i just wanna ask is there a price list for 3rd party lens in this forum? only see original brand lens ... eg nikon ...

hey i just wanna ask is there a price list for 3rd party lens in this forum? only see original brand lens ... eg nikon ...

The Canon forum has a sticky for Canon lens prices, including 3rd party lenses for Canon mount. Assuming the prices are not too different you can use that as a guide.

ah thx ... never see that section in my whole time in CS ... only been to the nikon, newbie, outing and sales haha :D ..

thanks alot ... really din see it

No worries... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.