A $50 parking fine escalated to almost $10,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

s598719

Oct 27, 2006
TNP reported a Mr Seow being fined $50 by URA for parking on the road outside his landed home. No yellow lines on road; just a normal broken white line dividing the lanes. He took URA to court over the $50 fine; ended being fined by the court by $1400. His legal bills was $8000 [can buy many DSLR :bsmilie:].

Personally, having gone thru the local driving test system, I thot it was ok to park on a road without any lines on the side.

Now confused over our parking rules....where can park? Where cannot? :think:

TNP reported a Mr Seow being fined $50 by URA for parking on the road outside his landed home. No yellow lines on road; just a normal broken white line dividing the lanes. He took URA to court over the $50 fine; ended being fined by the court by $1400. His legal bills was $8000 [can buy many DSLR :bsmilie:].

Personally, having gone thru the local driving test system, I thot it was ok to park on a road without any lines on the side.

??!?!?!
you sure or not
where's the article?
and where did he park

basic traffic rules do not mention anything regarding no parking for normal broken white single line, that seems to be lane marking only

Seriously he go no basis to sue the statutory board, since the board is enforcing the law.

Perhaps he parked "opposite" continuous white line?

Personally I drive, and in some minor roads there is no double yellow line, some people park on both sides ot the road, end up vehicles in 2 directions have to squeeze through them. :bsmilie:

Next time better be careful.

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/services/Driving_in_Singapore/Faq/violationsfaq.htm#common

lesson learnt: Get your kids into Law school and be good lawyers..and not end up as Judge!

SG slowly becoming like USA...full of such ridiculous stories....just that in the eyes of the law..the commoner on the streets usually gain NOTHING from such law suits!

If the Mr Seow wins the case, who'll pay for for a 1DM3+++ for his laywer? URA? C'mon....

why lawyers are involved ?

Take URA to court for a $50 fine? The guy must be damned foolish.

Take URA to court for a $50 fine? The guy must be damned foolish.

He did it out of 'yuan zhe'; he got principles. Got guts too.

Mr Seow must be too rich, landed leh, so sue lor.

I once asked a traffic police about why he booked parked vehicles like Mr Seow along the road side with broken white line dividing the lane. He mentioned under the traffic rule, one can park along broken white line or even no line (small lane) , however, if it obstructs traffic and people complaint, they will book. Mr Seow parked in front of his house and get booked, someone must don't like him so sabo him lor.

.....................I once asked a traffic police about why he booked parked vehicles like Mr Seow along the road side with broken white line dividing the lane. He mentioned under the traffic rule, one can park along broken white line or even no line (small lane) , however, if it obstructs traffic and people complaint, they will book...............

Hmm, looks like traffic rules not very clear. If that is the case, my neighborhood [S'goon Gdns] has so many cars that are parked like that every day......hundreds of them. URA will make tons of $ booking all of them. :bsmilie:

Hmm, looks like traffic rules not very clear. If that is the case, my neighborhood [S'goon Gdns] has so many cars that are parked like that every day......hundreds of them. URA will make tons of $ booking all of them. :bsmilie:

Good neighbor don't sabo, if in Joo Chiat (Everitt Rd) sure kena sabo.

For those who owns a car, please take note that there is a slew of outsourced agencies who are all out to capture cars who make the slightest mistakes on the road. And they do so without approaching the vehicle or issuing a ticket!

These outsourced parties are what i called cowards out to get commission for their jobs! They dont even have the balls to approach the vehicles.

Just park at those lots that are meant for parking, and don't just any how park lor... Even parked in front of your own landed property and house also kena now...

If he had parked inside his own house then it's nothing will happen lah, but because he didn't want to let his dogs bite off his car plate (why not just train the dogs and buffled their mouth up?) so he decided to park just outside his house. But sway sway the road is a one way road, with his car parked there, it causes obstruction to other cars already, that's why he kena lor.

The prosecution stated: "It is immaterial whether the vehicle is parked against or not against any lines drawn by LTA. So long as the vehicle is not parked in a designated parking lot, it is an offence."

I find this statement illogical. If the law feels such, then no use drawing single yellow lines, double yellow lines, etc. Might as well make it a law that can only park in designated parking lots and not anywhere else. By drawing double yellow lines, it signifies that no parking is allowed. It therefore implies that parking is allowed if there are no double yellow lines.

The prosecution stated: "It is immaterial whether the vehicle is parked against or not against any lines drawn by LTA. So long as the vehicle is not parked in a designated parking lot, it is an offence."

I find this statement illogical. If the law feels such, then no use drawing single yellow lines, double yellow lines, etc. Might as well make it a law that can only park in designated parking lots and not anywhere else. By drawing double yellow lines, it signifies that no parking is allowed. It therefore implies that parking is allowed if there are no double yellow lines.

mabbe the prosecutor need to take his highway code (again). :rolleyes:

Next time u see any traffic warden parking their m/cycle along the roadside,snap a pix of their bike/s,email to the authority concern and ask for a reply what action/s taken lah...even if they're booking others that does not mean they can break the rules themselves...or email to the press...

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, for landed properties, all along, home owners are able to park their car(s) for free outside during the evening usually. Some home owners have a large carpark porch, but still prefer to park outside becos they dont want to dirty their land with tire marks, oil leaks and dust from exhaust.

For some small terraces, the carpark porch can barely fit one car length and those cant really help it but to park outside. (Some yrs back, I came across a house with half a carpark length drive in porch on sale for 1m. It had one and a half tiolet as well! Quite funny looking to me).

So, from what I know so far, the parking wardens will not disturb a peaceful estate unless a disturbed neighbour complains. This is especially true when heavy vehicles take advantage of free parking space along roads with landed properties, causing an obstruction to road users given the vehicles' length and size.

So, maybe, this incident could be a case of neighbour fights. And no prize to guess who the winner is.

Next time u see any traffic warden parking their m/cycle along the roadside,snap a pix of their bike/s,email to the authority concern and ask for a reply what action/s taken lah...even if they're booking others that does not mean they can break the rules themselves...or email to the press...

hehe.. ya. i wish that would be applied. hahha..

Status
Not open for further replies.