A $50 parking fine escalated to almost $10,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
u can never win them. law is the law.

Next time u see any traffic warden parking their m/cycle along the roadside,snap a pix of their bike/s,email to the authority concern and ask for a reply what action/s taken lah...even if they're booking others that does not mean they can break the rules themselves...or email to the press...

I think I read somewhere tt if it is in relation to their duty, they are covered and there is nothing u can do ... unless they park by the roadside and then go somewhere else for kopi ...

The prosecution stated: "It is immaterial whether the vehicle is parked against or not against any lines drawn by LTA. So long as the vehicle is not parked in a designated parking lot, it is an offence."

I find this statement illogical. If the law feels such, then no use drawing single yellow lines, double yellow lines, etc. Might as well make it a law that can only park in designated parking lots and not anywhere else. By drawing double yellow lines, it signifies that no parking is allowed. It therefore implies that parking is allowed if there are no double yellow lines.

This is posturing.

Hmm.. A Peaceful Appeal to the Stat Board would have been a cheaper and better choice

Think he tried 'peaceful appeal'; went to URA, his MP, LTA. Finally, he argued his case via a lawyer. His lawyer must have thot he can win otherwise why he takes up the case? He must have read the Highway Code too.

how come I am the only guy who thinks that guy deserves it???

If you read the article, you will realise that that guys is PARKING his car PERMANENTLY outside his house. Reason is dog bite license plate....

That I feel is very inconsiderate to the neighbours and he deserves to get fined since he refuses to budge. And he dare to sue somemore....

Just think about it, if you all your neighbours decides to park their cars OUTSIDE...... The parking outside are meant for temporary visitors. My wife's parents neighbours like to park their car outside for no reason although they have a big carpark. I think I should call the traffic police.

how come I am the only guy who thinks that guy deserves it???

If you read the article, you will realise that that guys is PARKING his car PERMANENTLY outside his house. Reason is dog bite license plate....

That I feel is very inconsiderate to the neighbours and he deserves to get fined since he refuses to budge. And he dare to sue somemore....

Just think about it, if you all your neighbours decides to park their cars OUTSIDE...... The parking outside are meant for temporary visitors. My wife's parents neighbours like to park their car outside for no reason although they have a big carpark. I think I should call the traffic police.

U missed the issue. The warden does not distinguish whether the car is house owner or house visitor. The issue is the Highway Code seems to suggest that such parking is alright (no yellow lines on side of road etc).........now, many motorists would become confused whether they can park their cars at side of roads if looking at these lines do not help.

Reason is dog bite license plate....

if my dog bites my license plate (or camera), I make hot dog out of him ... ;p

I think the guy should use a $2 solution ... buy a leash or a chain ...

He is not paying ADT or CISCO or ... to look after his house, but uses his dogs, so he can't chain or leash them neither can he lets the dogs outside and his car inside.

Better still....keep a cat instead. meow....

U missed the issue. The warden does not distinguish whether the car is house owner or house visitor. The issue is the Highway Code seems to suggest that such parking is alright (no yellow lines on side of road etc).........now, many motorists would become confused whether they can park their cars at side of roads if looking at these lines do not help.

the highway code states that such parking is allright unless it causes obstruction to other people.

Ya I would agree with the judge if this guy insist on parking his car OUTSIDE his house, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, it causes obstruction to other people. Would you rather the judge rule in that guys favour? common that guy has a parking lot EMPTY in his house and he insist on parking outside.

And DON'T worry unecessary. I have been parking outside people houses for like dunno how many years. NEVER EVER had a single fine. I don't think ANY motorist will become "confused" I am still going to park my car outside people houses. The day I see someone like me (visitor with the owner's lot FULL) get fined, then I will get confused.

The question is, who is he causing obstruction too? He's blocking the entrance to his own house. If anyone else is parking there, that's obstruction to his house. But if it's himself, how can he be causing obstruction to anyone else? :dunno:
Unless of course his car is halfway on the road, which may be a bit narrower especially in these estates.

I find the statement quite far-reaching. Does it mean that parking anywhere outside of a drawn parking lot is illegal?

the highway code states that such parking is allright unless it causes obstruction to other people.

Ya I would agree with the judge if this guy insist on parking his car OUTSIDE his house, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, it causes obstruction to other people. Would you rather the judge rule in that guys favour? common that guy has a parking lot EMPTY in his house and he insist on parking outside.

And DON'T worry unecessary. I have been parking outside people houses for like dunno how many years. NEVER EVER had a single fine. I don't think ANY motorist will become "confused" I am still going to park my car outside people houses. The day I see someone like me (visitor with the owner's lot FULL) get fined, then I will get confused.

Talking about obstruction...it seems that on religious day it is alright.

So the highway code should state that such parking is alright unless it causes obstruction to other people....only exception is on religious day!

He did it out of 'yuan zhe'; he got principles. Got guts too.

He was stupid. Do you know that even if you win a case, you don't get costs? Because this is not a civil suit, the court will not make an order on costs. Which means that even if he won, he would be out $8,000 for his legal fees.

Guts? Sadly, that is how S'poreans perceive anyone who takes on the govt...

He was stupid. Do you know that even if you win a case, you don't get costs? Because this is not a civil suit, the court will not make an order on costs. Which means that even if he won, he would be out $8,000 for his legal fees.

Guts? Sadly, that is how S'poreans perceive anyone who takes on the govt...

I disagree with you about how you preceive fighting for his right is stupid. Even though he might be really wrong about his rights, he did took the necessary steps to seek consultations first. He probably already knows that he wouldn't get cost, his lawyer is bound to have informed him. He wants to prove a point, one which is not clearly defined. It's just plain unfortunate, that he was proven wrong.

If there are already well-documented cases with similar situations, and he went into the lawsuit hoping to get an exception, then that's less intelligent.

I have learnt to accept such fines from the HDB, URA, TF, etc .... and treat these monies as donations/tips to their "super-efficient" and over-zealous wardens ....:bsmilie::sweatsm: then you wont feel so frustrated...

:cool:..i look at it this way...

If i am pretty well off (i.e. 6 digit a month) and 'someone' has done something really dump on me.

If I can afford the time, let me have some 'fun' with them.

Let me make them look even dumper by having these things published in the local papers, by ..........

So that locals can talk about it, from the coffee shop to online forum. On how 'funny' these things sounded...

cheers..
KM

The question is, who is he causing obstruction too? He's blocking the entrance to his own house. If anyone else is parking there, that's obstruction to his house. But if it's himself, how can he be causing obstruction to anyone else? :dunno:
Unless of course his car is halfway on the road, which may be a bit narrower especially in these estates.

I find the statement quite far-reaching. Does it mean that parking anywhere outside of a drawn parking lot is illegal?

??? cannot see picture meh??? just imagine EVERYONE like him park in front of their own house.... no obstruction right?

i thought white lines can only park from 7pm to 7am>?

Now testing my highway code... I think that's single yellow line, right?

:)

../azul123

Status
Not open for further replies.