A*300 f2.8

otc

Feb 8, 2006
www.flickr.com
Thanking Fengwei for his help to bring this lens in from france.

By far the heaviest lens I have and it weight about 3Kg and handheld almost near impossible for me. So I may be looking for a sturdier tripod with a maybe gimball head, to pan and tilt.

I used a monfrotto 190 mf4 with giottos M1001, the only tripod and ball head that I use for my macro, insufficient for stability as I could feel.

A test shot of the lens with a 2X L(rear converter) and that makes it 600 f5.6 mounted.

TAken at about 400 over meters from my flat, the signboard as the point of focus

f8 1/40 secs with tripod mounted M mode.

6MARCH10A300f28test006.jpg

100 % cropped

f840sec.jpg

A test shot and c and c welcome. Any tripod to recommend for this beast, low cost if possible:D

Long term, to try shooting birds and I know 300mm is insufficient. For a start will give a shot at this focal range.

otc

Last edited:
Hm, how different is the IQ with and without the teleconverter? :think:

Congrats on this monster lens!

mho,
Could have bumped the ISO to 400 to get better shutter speed. Now its only 1/40 and with a non stable tripod, even the mirror flip can introduce camera shake.

The hazy day does not do full justice to the lens and teleconverter combo.

Do you have before teleconverter shots? Esp. the same scene with a 100% crop using 300mm and the one using the teleconverter.

I think its time to go to the zoo :D

Congrats on the monster lens.

The testing shot is a bit under exposed, and the target is way too far away. Test on something at a distance you'd use the lens for (10 to 20m for birds I guess) and see how.

Looking forward to seeing some bird photos from your new setup soon :)

Hm, how different is the IQ with and without the teleconverter? :think:

Congrats on this monster lens!

mho,
Could have bumped the ISO to 400 to get better shutter speed. Now its only 1/40 and with a non stable tripod, even the mirror flip can introduce camera shake.

The hazy day does not do full justice to the lens and teleconverter combo.

Do you have before teleconverter shots? Esp. the same scene with a 100% crop using 300mm and the one using the teleconverter.

I think its time to go to the zoo :D

Congrats on the monster lens.

The testing shot is a bit under exposed, and the target is way too far away. Test on something at a distance you'd use the lens for (10 to 20m for birds I guess) and see how.

Looking forward to seeing some bird photos from your new setup soon :)

Tks for your feedback. Will be taking with and without teleconverter and at a nearer distance of 20 meters. I need still objects now, not birds:bsmilie: I have some shots with/without teleconverter but have not kept the exif. so will be taking notes on exif of the images. For a start, the teleconverter 2XL is a dedicated converter for this manual lens and I do have the 1.4L converter too when I bought my A200 macrof4.

This monster of a lens can be a peeping tom lens:bsmilie: esp with a teleconverter. What the eyes cannot see, you will be able to view thru the lens quite clearly at far distance of say 500 meters

marcus

Last edited:
There's plenty of dust particles, pollutants and haze in our atmosphere. That's gonna affect the apparent sharpness for subjects at long distances. Suggest you shoot something closer and not against the light/backlit.
You definitely need to go with a stronger tripod/head combo. Maybe a Markins M20 mated with a Gitzo 3 series. A Wimberley gimbal would be good too.

Congrats on the lens! For tripod, you might want to consider the Gitzo 35xx series with gimbal head. Don't forget your cable release and if you are going to use flash, you might want to consider getting a flash extender too.

There's plenty of dust particles, pollutants and haze in our atmosphere. That's gonna affect the apparent sharpness for subjects at long distances. Suggest you shoot something closer and not against the light/backlit.
You definitely need to go with a stronger tripod/head combo. Maybe a Markins M20 mated with a Gitzo 3 series. A Wimberley gimbal would be good too.

tks Denis, I shall try at shorter distance. Wimberley gimball seems expensive. Any lower cost gimbal or any one try Manda gimball, Cost 350 sing can take wt about 10 kg.

Congrats on the lens! For tripod, you might want to consider the Gitzo 35xx series with gimbal head. Don't forget your cable release and if you are going to use flash, you might want to consider getting a flash extender too.

Tks Desmond. Seems Gitzo is the favourite here. What about benro, much lighter n lower in cost. Is benro more versatile.? Better to hear fr own pentaxian who has experience on this

marcus

Tks Desmond. Seems Gitzo is the favourite here. What about benro, much lighter n lower in cost. Is benro more versatile.? Better to hear fr own pentaxian who has experience on this

marcus

For Benro, you might want to talk to Jack from Ben photo. He should be able to advise you.:)

For Benro, you might want to talk to Jack from Ben photo. He should be able to advise you.:)

tks, desmond. I have gone down to peninsula to check on benro.

Took this with the lens without teleconverter. iso bump to 1250 f2.8 and shutter 1/40sec distance about 15 feet. SR on, tripod

8aMARCH10A300f28test002.jpg

Second shot with 2XL rear converter. iso 1250, same distance, f2.8 and 1/25 secs (still a little underexposed):) on tripod, sr on.

8aMARCH10A300f28test001.jpg

marcus

Thanks for sharing.
Doing such test shots can be a real pain (been there done that and certainly don't enjoy doing it; neither am a methodological in it, so I get a mess of results). :)

Looks decent from the test shots. Its a bit dark though, which only means that "You gotta have some fun with it in the sun" :D

tks, desmond. I have gone down to peninsula to check on benro.

Took this with the lens without teleconverter. iso bump to 1250 f2.8 and shutter 1/40sec distance about 15 feet. SR on, tripod

8aMARCH10A300f28test002.jpg

Second shot with 2XL rear converter. iso 1250, same distance, f2.8 and 1/25 secs (still a little underexposed):) on tripod, sr on.

8aMARCH10A300f28test001.jpg

marcus

Tks Pinholecam,

Wow, its tough to record those info in M-mode. Not used to it.
Okay, a few I took earlier outdoor, distance about 35 feet.

2X L converter with A300 f5.6, shutter 1/40 secs iso 200, tripod with SR on

8abMARCH10A300f28test002.jpg

2 nd shot, f8, 300 mm 2X L converter,, iso 400 shutter 1/30 secs, tripod and n SR On.

8abMARCH10A300f28test003.jpg

Next 4 shots without teleconverter, just the 300 mm lens.

f2.8, iso 100 shutter 1/250, SR off/ tripod.
8abMARCH10A300f28test004.jpg

f5.6 iso 100 shutter 1/125 on tripod SR off
8abMARCH10A300f28test005.jpg

f8 iso 200 shutter 1/80 on tripod SR off
8abMARCH10A300f28test006.jpg

Personally, with this dedicated converter, there is some slight degradation of image qualities and the original A300 f2.8 is tact sharp even at f2.8. Yes the teleconverter is usable imho.
At 2.8, the dof is extremely thin.

marcus

Tks Pinholecam,

Wow, its tough to record those info in M-mode. Not used to it.
Okay, a few I took earlier outdoor, distance about 35 feet.

2X L converter with A300 f5.6, shutter 1/40 secs iso 200, tripod with SR on

8abMARCH10A300f28test002.jpg

2 nd shot, f8, 300 mm 2X L converter,, iso 400 shutter 1/30 secs, tripod and n SR On.

8abMARCH10A300f28test003.jpg

Next 3 shots without teleconverter, just the 300 mm lens.

Personally, with this dedicated converter, there is some slight degradation of image qualities and the original A300 f2.8 is tact sharp even at f2.8. Yes the teleconverter is usable imho.
At 2.8, the dof is extremely thin.

marcus

These testing results look pretty good. Now you need to bring the lens and TC out for some birds ;)

Next 4 shots without teleconverter, just the 300 mm lens.

marcus

i think there's a mistake labelling the pics here but the rest should be correct..the progressive background blur doesn't match

Last edited:
i think there's a mistake labelling the pics here but the rest should be correct..the progressive background blur doesn't match

Tks, elavan.. you are right. the last image should be f2.8 with a creamier bokeh.:embrass:

I am a noob when comes to making comparison. I shall leave it as it is.

marcus

Wow! congrat to you OTC.

I guess you are the only 1 got this monster lens right?

Going for birding shoot call me along but not now,cos i on MC..:confused:

Enjoy your lens..Cheers!

Wow! congrat to you OTC.

I guess you are the only 1 got this monster lens right?

Going for birding shoot call me along but not now,cos i on MC..:confused:

Enjoy your lens..Cheers!

Lawrence, I was a little slow in picking f 300 f4.5 from desmond. So ended with this monster lens. :D

Handheld is not possible for me cos it more than 3kg with the camera and rear converter..

Once tripod and gimball is ready, will get in touch. ;) Meanwhile take care and rest more.

marcus
otc

can show some pic of the monster? ;)

Hi marcus, thanks for showing the those test shots. I bet it's going to turn out beautiful once you use it for birds shooting!:thumbsup: