[995 help] Sport Photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Newbie0001

Dear all, please take a look at these photos first:
Fight1.jpg

The problems are,
a) is this the limitation of DC in the indoor sports photography?
b) the settings are:
- shutter priority 1/30 s
- indoor, normal lighting conditions
- sport: TKD
- I was 5m to 10 m away from the subjects.
- ISO = 400
- Flash light off, (tried, cannot reach)
- Teleconverter used , 3X,
- EV max +2.0V (maximum)
- White ballance: fluorescent, i think
c) My question is , how to take this kind of photo? No external lights, shutter speed cannot be adjusted anymore, too fast = dim, too slow = blur images. I have set everthing max already. If aperture priority, sure got black dim image one. How har?

Originally posted by Newbie0001
The problems are,
b) the settings are:
- ISO = 400
- EV max +2.0V (maximum)
c) My question is , how to take this kind of photo? No external lights, shutter speed cannot be adjusted anymore, too fast = dim, too slow = blur images. I have set everthing max already. If aperture priority, sure got black dim image one. How har?

Out of the 90 % of the photos taken, quite dim and blurred......:dunno: :dunno:

The problems are,
b) the settings are:
- ISO = 400
- EV max +2.0V (maximum)

a: Yes, this is the limitation of DC.

b: I don't think you're allow to use FLASH, as that will blind the contestant.

c: The only way to get faster speed on your camera is pushing the ISO to ISO1600 or higher and use a FAST Lens @ f/2.8 or bigger, with that, you should get around 1/125 +-, which also mean, you need a Digital SLR

ok, thanks anyway.
I understand liao.

thank you simon, adamgoi and mpenza.

I have another question:
is it there is a limit to PS to change the brightness for photos , i.e. for dim, underexposured photo, can never being changed to a nice clear photo?

eg:
Dscn2413aa.jpg

One of my friend helped me to edited this photo to be:

qq.jpg

How he changed it? Using what command in PS? sorry, I have tried my best, I have tried contrast, brightness and so forth, but still don't know how to do it.

So , in conclusion :
it is difficult to take indoor, low light conditions sport photos by using proconsumer photos right?

This might be a good example to all the newbies. they can consider before they buy any DC next time.

I think he merely used the "quick fix" function found in most camera software. I don think photoshop has this function, but the program that comes with my Uzi has it.

Yes Photoshop is able to do that. Quickfix commands are just one step Photosop actions. The same effect can be achieved in Photoshop using various means, among them brightness/contrast, curves, and levels.

Originally posted by Jed
Yes Photoshop is able to do that. Quickfix commands are just one step Photosop actions. The same effect can be achieved in Photoshop using various means, among them brightness/contrast, curves, and levels.

Hi, jed, may i know how to carry out this command, please?
Is there any fast and efficient way?
thank you.

Those are the commands. In Photoshop, they are in the Edit pull down menu.

are u using 995 now? how much did you buy it? anyone know roughly the price for it now?

Hi, jed, may i know how to carry out this command, please?
Is there any fast and efficient way?
thank you.

I'll chip in a bit. One easy way to adjust such photos would be by adjusting the Levels. This can be found in the menu image->adjust. if you like, you can try photoshop's auto level. This helps to fix many underexposed images. If this is not satisfactory, do it menaully by selecting image->adjust->levels. For correcting under exposed images, I like to use the white dropper tool and look for a part which should be white (pure white, not shadow or anything, i.e brightest part of your image) and click on it, this will set the tone as the brightest part of the image. Then, using the left most arrow of the histogram (the black arrow) slide it until the dark tones are to your likings. Then you can adjust the grey arrows to correct the midtones. If the dark tones are still too dark even if you jam the arrow to the left. Adjust the output level either by using the slider bar or with numerical value.

There are some guidelines for adjusting the levels, but I personally like what I see and there are times where rules have to be broken to achieve the effect you want. So just trust your eyes. I personally feel that having an under exposed image is better than an over exposed one. When over exposed, you losses image details that cannot be corrected by PS. Under exposed shots usually don't pose a problem.

p/s: I use the white dropper tool to correct for WB problems as well. Usually find something white, then warm it with the variations. But then when there's nothing white... then have to do the variations/channels way liao.

PP/s: When there's no white in the image, try to adjust using the right most arrow under the histogram.

Originally posted by laughingman
are u using 995 now? how much did you buy it? anyone know roughly the price for it now?

thanks flare and jed.
The auto level one/adjust levels one, I know.
Just that how you all judge at the above adjusted picture? i find it very nice which I cannot do that. Once I adjust the levels, the picture becomes quite "noisy" and blur a bit.

Laughingman,
Heard that around 1K leh, alan photo,
Got their equote at 1050 SGD.
I bought mine at 1200 nett with bundle of free gifts last time . ie camera bag, 32mb cf card, +1 EN-EL1 battery.

Erm... why not ask your friend directly?

Levels:
This calls up a histogram with the pixel distribution in your image. If it's underexposed, you will find that the histogram peaks at the dark end of the scale (towards the black triangle slider on the x-axis). Also, it will probably end before it reaches the white triangle on the other end of the x-axis. Technically, you should start by moving the slides to the starting points of the histogram, which will bring the picture up. After that, you can tweak with the middle grey slider to adjust the midtones in the picture to achieve the necessary result.

Yes, increased noise is a necessary evil. The camera hasn't registered enough detail, and contains a bit of noise in the dark channels. As you adjust to increase exposure by any method, you need to brighten these areas and also stretch the contrast range, hence making any existing noise more evident than before. The key is to get the exposure right at the first time of asking.

Originally posted by ziploc
Erm... why not ask your friend directly?

heehee.
I did . But I don't understand.
He said something......PS deluxe(which I don't have it)
2ndly, he also mentioned cubic2 , what is that? Curve? so chim......
so, really cannot figure it out.
thanks, jed, i try to figure these out.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.