$90 waiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yappy

May 30, 2004
The recent news about a guy who got injured while saving a gal...

It generated views from readers who had mixed feedbacks...

What do you think?

Was SGH right not to waive the $90 charge?

What are the implications?

You should head down to the hospital one of this day and see the drama playing out everyday.

It's all about the money.

I believe that the hospital's billing software does not have a data field or radio button
to activate any kind of waiver but I think it has subsidy logics in the system for citizens
and residents.

You cannot program compassion in the billing software. Only one or zero.

:think:

doesn't pay to be kind in sg, moral of the story.

In this case, he was not asking to get paid for being a hero.

depends on where you are standing thou...

only materialistic people will want to be paid for everything they do.

whats the news about?

it's about a nice guy who saved a woman from drowing and in the process of saving he got injured. was sent to the hospital for minor injuries and got charged $90 by the hospital for treating his injuries. it's a few days old news liao.

I believe that the hospital's billing software does not have a data field or radio button
to activate any kind of waiver but I think it has subsidy logics in the system for citizens
and residents.

You cannot program compassion in the billing software. Only one or zero.

:think:

but the on in the cashier should inform his/her superior on that matter. hospital can always waver such things. anyway this type of heroic act doesn't come everyday. hmn.....

the worst part is that the hospistal replied "we will never do any waiver for such case".

I think you need to read the story before commenting :)

or you meant, he want to be hero but don't wanna incur additional cost?

Well maybe one day their daughter/son etc somehow fall into the water, then someone stand there and tell him/her "sorry, can't save you if not your daddy want me to pay him and I'll be out of pocket :)"

but the on in the cashier should inform his/her superior on that matter. hospital can always waver such things. anyway this type of heroic act doesn't come everyday. hmn.....

the worst part is that the hospistal replied "we will never do any waiver for such case".

If ppl view the cost of a life at only S$90, then I have nothing to say. If its me, I dont mind paying out of my pocket to help someone. I would live in regrets if any person died because I did not offer my help when he/she was in danger.

I did not read the story of the Hero but if he is really in financial dificulties, we can all chip in. I think even 10cent from each of us is enough to come up with the $90. I'm not rich but I do value lives even that of an enemy (not that I do have any) or stranger.

But, where's the gal? I think she should at the very least offer to pay that $90 for someone who saved her life??

I dun really blame the hospital for charging that $90. After all, Yes, they did provide a service to the "HERO" and they have the right to charge him for the services provided. :nono:

Let's say u found someone on the streets who is suffering a heart attack or something, then u drove tht guy to the nearest hospital to get him some medical attention.

After tht, ur petrol tank happen to run out of petrol. Do u go to the petrol station telling the pump attendant not to charge you for the petrol becoz ur tank was emptied becoz u rushed somebody to hospital prior to that?:think:

It would be a nice (and totally unexpected) gesture if SGH would agree to waive the fee, but i think it would create a precedence for many cases to follow, most of which might not be as straightforward as this.

We can say whatever that we want, this kind of news that the world will want to read about, right or wrong for S$90 the SGH will receive negative response from the world, bad for the SGH's PR.

I think the hospital's stand is more of ..

How do they really determine who is a real hero and who is not ?

In the society that we live in now, one real heroism case will breed a whole lot of "false heros" all claiming fee waivers cos of their deeds, and who is to decide which are the real cases ? In this case it was just for some cuts to his hand, but what if the "hero" demanded fee waiver for some major surgery ? In the end the costs ultimately be borne by society as a whole from increased health care costs from all the fee waivers ....

Also the hospital would have to employ additional staff to sieve through the drama behind each and every case ? I don't think the hospital can afford the time and manpower to do so, nor is it their business to do so ...

I feel the correct approach would still be for the person rescued to show their gratitude by helping in the fee, or even for members of the public moved by his gallantry and who may wish to assist in his fees ...

I guess it is pretty easy to verify in this case with SCDF since they did give him an award.

We can say whatever that we want, this kind of news that the world will want to read about, right or wrong for S$90 the SGH will receive negative response from the world, bad for the SGH's PR.

Companies spent thousand and millions of dollars doing publicity.

SGH just missed the opportunity and at the same time receive adverse publicity!

But, where's the gal? I think she should at the very least offer to pay that $90 for someone who saved her life??

I dun really blame the hospital for charging that $90. After all, Yes, they did provide a service to the "HERO" and they have the right to charge him for the services provided. :nono:

Let's say u found someone on the streets who is suffering a heart attack or something, then u drove tht guy to the nearest hospital to get him some medical attention.

After tht, ur petrol tank happen to run out of petrol. Do u go to the petrol station telling the pump attendant not to charge you for the petrol becoz ur tank was emptied becoz u rushed somebody to hospital prior to that?:think:
from the gist of the report, it seems that she wants to end her life. would she pay for $90 for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.