8R prints need how many megapixel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullpit

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
If I'm trying to print 8R, the digicam should be at least how many megapixel?

a 4R image would be about 2mp.. so 8R i guess 4mp?? I'm not very sure either.. =x

8R is 8" x 10"

so for photo quality ( 300 dpi ) , the resolution is (8" x 10")x 300 = 2400 x 3000

which is abt 6 megapixel ;)

so it means if I got a 4mp digicam, I should not print 8R? hmm...what is the effect of 150dpi? haha.

Cos my school got a photo exhibition and the pics are supposed to be in 8R. Geez, means with my lousy cam, I cannot take part?

8R can be printed from as low as 2mp (1600x1200). With proper technique, even a 2mp image can do a decent 8R. 4mp should not be a problem at all. I've even printed 3mp at 10x15".

Regards
CK

i have only experienced printing from at worst, a file with just under 200dpi. still can survive. but if you crop and so on, you'd expect lesser pixel density...

from my experience, 2 meg can still give good print at 8 x 12" (Super 8R).
but remember no cropping. use original file.

actually, a 640x480 photo will do.
Just remember to stand at least 5m from the photo when looking at it.

megaweb said:
8R is 8" x 10"

so for photo quality ( 300 dpi ) , the resolution is (8" x 10")x 300 = 2400 x 3000

which is abt 6 megapixel ;)

2400x3000 gives 7.2 mpix. Your calculator low on battery? :D

Bullpit said:
so it means if I got a 4mp digicam, I should not print 8R? hmm...what is the effect of 150dpi? haha.

Cos my school got a photo exhibition and the pics are supposed to be in 8R. Geez, means with my lousy cam, I cannot take part?
Rubbish.

Take a good picture at full 4Mp, use the crop tool in PS and crop out your 10x8 (at 300dpi). I'm using a 4Mp Coolpix and 8R is done (AG-goers have seen that) without noticeable issues.
Ckiang is right, too. A few of my 4Mp shots have made 12R for friends and clients.

Azure said:
Rubbish.

Take a good picture at full 4Mp, use the crop tool in PS and crop out your 10x8 (at 300dpi). I'm using a 4Mp Coolpix and 8R is done (AG-goers have seen that) without noticeable issues.
Ckiang is right, too. A few of my 4Mp shots have made 12R for friends and clients.

Ya know, thanks to marketing, in time to come, we will need 20mp to make 8R prints. :bsmilie:

Regards
CK

To a certain degree, the megapixel marketing hype is at work here. Technology is only here to help. Never ever overlook proper conventional photography techniques.

A quality 3 megapixel camera is sufficient to reproduce a good image on 8R. Important factors should also include the dynamic range each pixel on the CCD or CMOS can reproduce, noise and lossy compression aritfacts intorduced within the processor of camera.

3mp can do full A4.
no probs unless u shoot moire for living...
think more important is the jpeg compression...

just printed 2 12r photos

1 6mp and 1 from 2mp

the 6mp one looks great! but when examine closely can see that the resolution not enough like that

the 2mp one.... no quality to talk about... but from far see still acceptable la

from fotohub.com, 1600x1200 is all you need for 8R (8x12).
have double checked with them on an earlier occasion and they insisted that anything larger than that would not make a difference on the printout.
anyone can confirm that?

ckiang said:
8R can be printed from as low as 2mp (1600x1200). With proper technique, even a 2mp image can do a decent 8R. 4mp should not be a problem at all. I've even printed 3mp at 10x15".

Regards
CK

using interpolation software or reducing the print resolution?

showtime said:
using interpolation software or reducing the print resolution?

I simply sent the file to the lab, or to the printer. Yeah, I guess that's reducing print resolution to around 150ppi (not to be confused with the printer dpi of e.g. 1440dpi)

Regards
CK

forbytes said:
Click here to see what canon has to say about Megapixel and printout size.
Actually, they are a bit over conservative. ;) Then again, they are camera makers trying to sell you higher resolution cameras, so....

I still remember in Y2k, all the camera makers are saying their 2mp can print 8R (and many has successfully done so....)

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.