8mp how big can it print up to?


Status
Not open for further replies.

magic

New Member
Jan 17, 2005
42
0
0
#1
Hi all

I've a canon 20D, what's the maximum print size can it produced comfortably? Is A1 (poster size) possible assuming I shoot on Raw and convert to Tiff?
(when i say comfortably, i don't mean extremely pin sharp quality as seen on a smaller print size like a 8R.I'm also assuming the picture will be viewed from a certain distance)

Reaaly hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks!
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#2
you can test print by croping 1/8 of the image area to print on A4. that would be equivalent to printing the entire image on A1 (8 times larger size).
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#4
That depends on the DPI you intend to print at...

For a 4MP D2HS, I managed to print 20" x 30".
 

magic

New Member
Jan 17, 2005
42
0
0
#5
espn said:
That depends on the DPI you intend to print at...

For a 4MP D2HS, I managed to print 20" x 30".
What would a suitable DPI be for a reasonable quality A1? For your 20x30 what DPI did you use?
I intend to put the poster on a gallery wall.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#6
magic said:
What would a suitable DPI be for a reasonable quality A1? For your 20x30 what DPI did you use?
I intend to put the poster on a gallery wall.
Hi, for myself, recommended is 300 for most prints, my 20" x 30" was done at 300 dpi, I had to upsize it but end results were pleasing for view at about 15cm+ away for close up inspection, holding the print away enough to see all of it was good and clear as well.

You can check with melodyyap, she has 4 20" x 30" from nightwolf75, KNIGHT ONG and me :bsmilie:

I guess 150 DPI would be sufficient for a large print also.

A D2X file @ 140 DPI would be able to go 20" x 30" and should still provide good enough quality for viewing at full size and not close up.
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#7
magic said:
What would a suitable DPI be for a reasonable quality A1? For your 20x30 what DPI did you use?
I intend to put the poster on a gallery wall.
you can calculate. A1 is about 23.38 inches by 33.06 inches. Image from 20D is 2336 "dots" by 3504 "dots". The DPI is the lesser of 2336/23.38 and 3504/33.06 which is ~100dpi.
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#9
espn said:
Hi, for myself, recommended is 300 for most prints, my 20" x 30" was done at 300 dpi, I had to upsize it but end results were pleasing for view at about 15cm+ away for close up inspection, holding the print away enough to see all of it was good and clear as well.

You can check with melodyyap, she has 4 20" x 30" from nightwolf75, KNIGHT ONG and me :bsmilie:

I guess 150 DPI would be sufficient for a large print also.

A D2X file @ 140 DPI would be able to go 20" x 30" and should still provide good enough quality for viewing at full size and not close up.
how did you upsize to 300dpi for 20x30 print? this means your longest edge was ~9000 pixels? up from D2H original 2484?
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#10
yanyewkay said:
how did you upsize to 300dpi for 20x30 print? this means your longest edge was ~9000 pixels? up from D2H original 2484?
I have commercial software to upsize it accordingly of course. Else just lessen the DPI and print. Like jFTK mentioned, 72 dpi is pretty decent for large prints since nobody views the image like 1cm away ;p.

And yes, the final image was approx 6000px+ x 9000+px @ 300 DPI from the D2H/D2HS, a whopping 160MB TIFF.
 

szekiat

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
2,252
0
0
London
Visit site
#13
i personally use absolute fractals. I use a 20d for my nature stuff and regularly print to A0 size. Last one was done of a heron, cropped slightly into a square format and enlarged to 40x40. Oh and i shoot jpg, its fine. RAW would be ideal i guess but i hate post processing. I would suggest a lightjet/lambda print out since those require a lower resolution to attain the same perceived sharpness as an inkjet.
 

theRBK

Senior Member
May 16, 2005
2,048
1
0
#15
It also depends on the sharpness of the image, distance to view print and the quality acceptable to the viewer...have printed a crop from an image captured on my ol' 4 MP E10, about 2m x 1.6m at about 75dpi, used in shopfront...of course, the E10 has an excellent lens...:)
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#16
jeremyftk said:
I've got an A2+ from my 20D done at 72dpi and quite decent I must say...
wrong... the DPI is ~140. the "72dpi" u see is just a field attribute... just like the filename, you can change it without affecting anything.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom