8GB SDHC Recommendations

cOLOr pEnCiL

Sep 6, 2011
Hi to all photography gurus, I am looking to purchase an additional 8GB SDHC card for my Canon S95. Currently using a 8GB SanDisk Standard SDHC card(can't remember which class but should be blue in colour). I understand that there are a couple of different brands for the same category SDHC cards. Any recommendations for the best for buck and where to get? Thanks in advance.:)

I recommend the following..

Transcend Class 10, 16gb @$50 or 8gb @$30.
Transcend Class 4, 16gb @$29 or 8gb @$15.

Can be bought from SLS.

not too sure if class 4 enuf for video on s95. You may have to check out your manual.

Just get either sandisk or Kingston fr SLS, normal 1 will do...

Can be bought from SLS.

not too sure if class 4 enuf for video on s95. You may have to check out your manual.

What do you mean by "enough for video"? Is there a difference between the classes?

What do you mean by "enough for video"? Is there a difference between the classes?

Class 10 have a write speed faster than Class 4. But just a point to take note, Transcend's Class 10 is not the same as Sandisk Class 10, IIRC Transcend's class 10 is at most Sandisk Class 6 equivalent.

For video, you are writing more data per second than taking still photos per shot. So if the amount of data you want to write to the card is more than what the card can transfer per second, your video may either see lag between your video clip or the recording keep on stopping after some time.

but it's best to check out the manual to find out the recommended "class" to use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating

In applications that require sustained write throughput, such as video recording, the device may not perform satisfactorily if the SD card's class rating falls below a particular speed. For example, a camcorder that is designed to record to class 6 media may suffer dropouts or corrupted video on slower media. On slower class cards, digital cameras may experience a lag of several seconds between photo-taking, while the camera writes the picture to the card.

Can be bought from SLS.

i just got my sandisk extrame (should be class 10) 16ge for 55 in comex .. look like it a good buy :)

I recommend Kingston/Lexar/Sandisk Class 6 cards.

Why these 3? The agents are conveniently located at Bugis and most of the time is on the spot 1-1 exchange.

Why Class 6? Because they are the minimum speed requirement for a lot of devices to be able to record 1080p video including camera and camcorders.

i just got my sandisk extrame (should be class 10) 16ge for 55 in comex .. look like it a good buy :)

Nice. I missed the offer. Not sure what is the shop price now? :)

Ya...but the crowd turns me off completely.

Nice. I missed the offer. Not sure what is the shop price now? :)

SLS...
Sandisk Extreme Pro - 16gb @ $103
Sandisk Extreme C10 - 16gb @ $64

SLS...

Thanks bro. If BBB strikes will get the C10 :D

SLS...

should get 1 more from the fair.. wasted...

Thanks bro. If BBB strikes will get the C10 :D

np..Hopefully the next time my BBB kicks in, I'm still using SD cards rather than CF cards...

should get 1 more from the fair.. wasted...
U need so many meh? despite saying so, I got 2x 16gb Transcend Class 10 + 1 Sandisk 8gb Class 6...Enough to take ~1500 Raw :)

Well, you can get a transcend class 10 8gb at ard 18 USD or 16gb at ard 33 USD from dealextreme is you don't mind the waiting time. Currently using the 8gb version, so far so good! :D

np..Hopefully the next time my BBB kicks in, I'm still using SD cards rather than CF cards...

U need so many meh? despite saying so, I got 2x 16gb Transcend Class 10 + 1 Sandisk 8gb Class 6...Enough to take ~1500 Raw :)

Oh I have more cards than u.
Now (2*16ge 3*8ge(2nd the free type)

Oh I have more cards than u.
Now (2*16ge 3*8ge(2nd the free type)

I got those, cos I was on a long holiday a couple of months ago. and no laptop with me either....But for the speed wise, I wouldn't recommend anyone shooting fast paced action with continuous shooting on DSLR to get the transcend class 10, too slow..but for a landscape shooter, it's ok.